52V BBSHD on Giant Trance 2 LTD 2017

czacha414

Aug 5, 2021
Warsaw
Hi there, here is my first build. For my second build I`ll surely pick frame which allows to position engine more horizontal. Anyway it rides very well, accelerattion is awesome!

IMG_20210629_124933.jpg

IMG_20210625_131838.jpg

IMG_20210625_131927.jpg

IMG_20210704_104822.jpg

Doug Stampfer

Jul 7, 2018
NZ
That is exactly what I've been chasing up this afternoon. I have a green one that I am potentially putting a motor on for the wife as 'real' emtbs have increased in price so much.
Can you please share the parts you got & where from? Did you use a Lekkie press fit spacer?
The motor does sit quite low. I was hoping to swap my frame for something with a angled downtube & reuse the parts however I think Giant have their own propriety parts I have been told.

czacha414

Aug 5, 2021
Warsaw
That is exactly what I've been chasing up this afternoon. I have a green one that I am potentially putting a motor on for the wife as 'real' emtbs have increased in price so much.
Can you please share the parts you got & where from? Did you use a Lekkie press fit spacer?
The motor does sit quite low. I was hoping to swap my frame for something with a angled downtube & reuse the parts however I think Giant have their own propriety parts I have been told.

Parts I`ve bought:

1. BBSHD motor (30A version)
2. 52V 21Ah battery on Sanyo GA cells (x84)
3. Hailong Shark battery cover (max 91 cells)
4. Triple bob battery mount
5. Eggrider lcd
6. Lekkie 40T chainring
7. KMC e11 chain
8. bafang brake sensors
9. bafang speed sensor
10. bafang gear sensor

Most of the parts I`ve ordered from German online shop fasterbikes.eu - acceptable prices, fast delivery. I`m happy, would recommend.

No, I didn`t bought any spacers - there was no need to. I also didnt use any torque arm to prevent engine from rotating - it`s actual position is stable, I`ve checked few times and screws are tight as they should be, so no issue there.

Yes, motor sits very low but if I`ll set rear shock to `firm` position it`s ok. Of course you`ll not get pass by some laying trees as on regular bike but as far I rode 2k km in 2 months and that was the case maybe 2 or 3 time.

I don`t think Giant have any parts which will not fit on other brand frames.

Overall - I`m pleased with final result. Bike is way much faster that any factory emtb, I`ve been in mountains and even knowing I`m trials beginner I was much faster that my experienced friends on high end Bosch CX 4th gen emtbs.

V max is about 55km/h on flat but main advantage of that build is insane acceleration.

In near future I`m going to start another DIY build, based on BBSHD or Bafang Ultra.

Doug Stampfer

Jul 7, 2018
NZ
Great stuff Thanks for the details. Just to confirm - the motor fitted straight through the bottom bracket? I was under the impression you had to remove the pressfit BB & put in these spacers?

czacha414

Aug 5, 2021
Warsaw
Great stuff Thanks for the details. Just to confirm - the motor fitted straight through the bottom bracket? I was under the impression you had to remove the pressfit BB & put in these spacers?
Aaaaaa, OK - you`re right, Ive forgot about these. I though you`re asking about spacers to move back engine off the centre.... Yep, these spacers you showed are nescessary and I have used them.

Also you need to grind / remove that part:
IMG_20210304_224947.jpg

Here you can see my bottom bracket spacers already fitted:
IMG_20210304_230149.jpg

Last edited:

lseefried12

Jan 2, 2023
newark de
Hey man I was looking at doing the same conversion as you, just had a few questions if you don't mind.
1.)What was the motor's bracket size that you purchased ? (BBSHD comes in 3 sizes- 68-73mm, 74-100mm, and 101-120mm
2.)What was the reason for grinding off that piece, was it to allow the pressfit 41 adapter to fit correctly?
3.)Did you only grind off the bottom piece or the top of that piece as well? Hard to tell in picture
4.)Is the bottom bracket of giant trance 2 a pressfit 92?

*I am not very handy so I just wanted to see if there was any extra steps I would have to do, seems pretty straightforward other than grinding off that little piece.

Last edited:

czacha414

Aug 5, 2021
Warsaw
Hey man I was looking at doing the same conversion as you, just had a few questions if you don't mind.
1.)What was the motor's bracket size that you purchased ? (BBSHD comes in 3 sizes- 68-73mm, 74-100mm, and 101-120mm
2.)What was the reason for grinding off that piece, was it to allow the pressfit 41 adapter to fit correctly?
3.)Did you only grind off the bottom piece or the top of that piece as well? Hard to tell in picture
4.)Is the bottom bracket of giant trance 2 a pressfit 92?

*I am not very handy so I just wanted to see if there was any extra steps I would have to do, seems pretty straightforward other than grinding off that little piece.
Hi
ad1. 100mm (and that is the correct one size for BBSHD)
ad2. Without grinding motor would not fit bottom bracket at all. Altrough, you need to purchase pf adapter
ad3. only bottom part
ad4. yes
Good luck in building that one. It was my first BBSHD ebike, now I`m few furtherer but I still remember fun it gave me. Only downside was fact that motor is hanging a bit too low due to shape of the frame.

lseefried12

Jan 2, 2023
newark de
Hi
ad2. Without grinding motor would not fit bottom bracket at all. Altrough, you need to purchase pf adapter
ad3. only bottom part
ad4. yes
Good luck in building that one. It was my first BBSHD ebike, now I`m few furtherer but I still remember fun it gave me. Only downside was fact that motor is hanging a bit too low due to shape of the frame.
Thank you man I appreciate it ! Any other builds that are similar in terms of simplicity? Trek ex fuel 8 is another one I was eyeballing

czacha414

Aug 5, 2021
Warsaw
Thank you man I appreciate it ! Any other builds that are similar in terms of simplicity? Trek ex fuel 8 is another one I was eyeballing
If you want to go wih BBSHD (which is a great motor!) look out for a frame with as low as possible angle between downtube and sadle tube (sorry, I don`t know if I wrote it correctly). I mean that angle which that giant have is wide open so the motor would be hanging too low...

czacha414

Aug 5, 2021
Warsaw
Trek ex fuel 8 - not the best frame angle for BBSHD. If you want to see the best frame for BBSHD and understand my point please google: dartmoor blackbird frame.

czacha414

Aug 5, 2021
Warsaw
I see your point, thank you. I wouldn't be doing super aggressive off trail riding so hopefully I can get away with the BBSHD motor hanging low on the giant trance 2. Were you able to do trail riding with yours?
Yes, I did with no issues but you have bare in mind that you won`t be able to go thru some roots or elevations. I knocked engine once or twice, then I get to remember that and it didn`t happend again. Most of the time I was riding casualy thru my city and in that case it doesn`t matter at all.

Spin

Dec 24, 2021
Australia
Hi
ad3. only bottom part
ad4. yes
100MM ? How wide is the BB shell on the Giant ?

lseefried12

Jan 2, 2023
newark de
Anyway, I`m few BBSHD builds ahead and I`m still in love with that engine.
Anyway, I`m few BBSHD builds ahead and I`m still in love with that engine.
Hey I had one more question, sorry to bug ya again. Did you have any gap in between your mounting bracket and motor? If so, did you just use spacers/washers to get it nice and tight? attached a picture of what the gap would look like. Also what size tires did you run on your giant trance 2?

czacha414

Aug 5, 2021
Warsaw
Hey I had one more question, sorry to bug ya again. Did you have any gap in between your mounting bracket and motor? If so, did you just use spacers/washers to get it nice and tight? attached a picture of what the gap would look like. Also what size tires did you run on your giant trance 2?
don`t see any picture attached?
anyway - i didn`t used any washers, except the one to fit BBSHD diameter on pressfit diameter (don`t remember exact numbers, standard bottom bracket is not similar with press fit diameter).
my giant was using 27.5+ front (2.8) and 2.4 back tyre.

lseefried12

Jan 2, 2023
newark de
Parts I`ve bought:

1. BBSHD motor (30A version)
2. 52V 21Ah battery on Sanyo GA cells (x84)
3. Hailong Shark battery cover (max 91 cells)
4. Triple bob battery mount
5. Eggrider lcd
6. Lekkie 40T chainring
7. KMC e11 chain
8. bafang brake sensors
9. bafang speed sensor
10. bafang gear sensor

Most of the parts I`ve ordered from German online shop fasterbikes.eu - acceptable prices, fast delivery. I`m happy, would recommend.

No, I didn`t bought any spacers - there was no need to. I also didnt use any torque arm to prevent engine from rotating - it`s actual position is stable, I`ve checked few times and screws are tight as they should be, so no issue there.

Yes, motor sits very low but if I`ll set rear shock to `firm` position it`s ok. Of course you`ll not get pass by some laying trees as on regular bike but as far I rode 2k km in 2 months and that was the case maybe 2 or 3 time.

I don`t think Giant have any parts which will not fit on other brand frames.

Overall - I`m pleased with final result. Bike is way much faster that any factory emtb, I`ve been in mountains and even knowing I`m trials beginner I was much faster that my experienced friends on high end Bosch CX 4th gen emtbs.

V max is about 55km/h on flat but main advantage of that build is insane acceleration.

In near future I`m going to start another DIY build, based on BBSHD or Bafang Ultra.
Hey do you remember what pressfit adapter you used? the lekkie pressfit cup or luna pressfit adapter?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles