May 31, 2021
the mountains
Product Image:
Kahva-27pt5x2pt1-TR4663-03-720px.png

Product name: 45NRTH KAHVA 27.5X2.1"
Price paid: 250€ for both tires
Score (out of 10): 5

Review:
I used this tires for the winter season, did about 2000km on the front tire, rear about 1500km on the rear one.

Setup:

Did set them up tubeless with the Stans Milk, front tire was holding instantly, had some issues rear because the rim was “used” so I had no refill like three times to seal everything up.

Riding Performance.

Would say its a good cross country tire, found it not to draggy (for a studded tire)
corners very well had no slipping on hard surfaces and does not tend to loose
studs even when you break a little harder on the street, the tire does not
have studs directly at the center that probably aids in that regard.

Perfectly fine on any hard surfaces, street hardpack ice.
Snow is fine when its hard compressed, wet hardpack too.

Limits are unset or only slightly compressed snow and deeper mud.
The tire does not have the volume to float on the surface so even
small amount of snow (like 10cm ) are basically unridable.

Noise

The tire itself is not very noisy so you will hear the studs noise on the street at all speeds.

How did the tires hold up

Front tire did hold perfectly fine the whole season and has pleanty of life left.

However at some point (over 1000km of use) I run into some strange problems with the rear tire.

It lost air during riding- firstly I just pumped it up and refilled milk but that did not help and the situation got worse.

So I lokked deeper into that and figured out that the tire actually leaks at the studs when you move them with a plier, the milk was not able to seal this up. I removed two studs, where I had the worst lost.

Did not help so I simply threw in a tube and thought I can end the season with that tire but
even the tube got a little puncture from the studs poking threw the carcass.

45north (1 von 1).JPG

So I must say i'm very pleased with the general performance of these tires, however the that failure on the rear 125€ tire is not acceptable. I looked the tires up on the homepage for the msrp but instead I found this:

“We design 45NRTH tires for extreme winter cycling applications. We do not recommend this product be used with power assist bikes as the additional torque and system weight can lead to pre-mature casing wear and stud loss.”

I'm not sure when they added this (was not there 2020) but I think it was not there when I bought the tires last year in summer. But anyway looks like they added this to all their studded tires thats.

Conclusion

I rated this product at 5 but i dont want to rate it at all and its questionable to post this review with that statement from 45north on the emtb board.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles