400km Chain Replacement?

Kernow

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
We get best wear from kmc chains all round but saying how long they last is so dependant on use .
on my roadie the chains done over 3k miles and still good. But same chain may only last 500 miles on the Ebike in winter

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Got 700 miles/1100km out of my KMC in the end before getting to about 80% wear. Popped it twice quite early on and fitted quick links to sort, but last 500 miles or so no problems, and looked pretty immaculate given the wear.

Levorunner

Jun 16, 2018
Canada
630 miles and just at 0.75 wear.
Interesting, I replaced my kmc chain after 435 miles and it measured between 0.50 and 0.75. Probably should have left it on until the 0.75 mark, but I think I Read somewhere that kmc chains were supposed to be replaced at 0.50. I probably could have made it to 630 miles as well. Very similar results!

Mountie

Apr 29, 2018
Canada
Interesting, I replaced my kmc chain after 435 miles and it measured between 0.50 and 0.75. Probably should have left it on until the 0.75 mark, but I think I Read somewhere that kmc chains were supposed to be replaced at 0.50. I probably could have made it to 630 miles as well. Very similar results!

I wonder if the lack of mileage I get from chains has anything to do with the speed limit being slightly higher? I usually cruise at 28-30kph topping out at 32kph.

Levorunner

Jun 16, 2018
Canada
I wonder if the lack of mileage I get from chains has anything to do with the speed limit being slightly higher? I usually cruise at 28-30kph topping out at 32kph.
I definitely think it plays a part in the stretch of the chain. I do a lot of my riding at or above 32kms. Though KMC claims you can get 10,000+ ebike single speed. I'm at a loss why they can't make a 11 speed ebike chain last the same amount of time. They can send a man to the moon,but chain's are a mystery! ? I guess its all about the money as usual! ???

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I definitely think it plays a part in the stretch of the chain.
Drivetrain wear:
Chains don't stretch. not how you think anyway. With use chain pivots/pins wear and because of this every pivot/pin in the chain becomes baggy. the overall length of the chan becomes longer and wear to the teeth of the sprockets/chainring accelerates because of this. Especially on sprockets with less chain wrap (9-14T) and Aluminium sprockets. Shifting/shifting under load will wear a pivot/pin faster than running the chain at higher speeds or power (assuming good chainline)

They can send a man to the moon,but chain's are a mystery! ? I guess its all about the money as usual! ???

moonstick.png

Ps. did they really send a man to the moon? REEEEELLLYY??

;)

Levorunner

Jun 16, 2018
Canada
KMC manufacture chains for Shimano.
Drivetrain wear:
Chains don't stretch. not how you think anyway. With use chain pivots/pins wear and because of this every pivot/pin in the chain becomes baggy. the overall length of the chan becomes longer and wear to the teeth of the sprockets/chainring accelerates because of this. Especially on sprockets with less chain wrap (9-14T) and Aluminium sprockets. Shifting/shifting under load will wear a pivot/pin faster than running the chain at higher speeds or power (assuming good chainline)

moonstick.png

Ps. did they really send a man to the moon? REEEEELLLYY??

;)
You are absolutely right, I should not have used the word stretched, My Bad! Wear would be the proper terminology.
About the man on the moon, I really want to believe! ??

Levorunner

Jun 16, 2018
Canada
Well here's a update on my Shimano CN-HG901-11 chain. The chain has just over 1,000kms on it now and it is still under 0.50 on the chain gauge. This has not been treated like a princess like my KMC chain. It has been wiped clean and lubed after every third ride. I ride in strictly dry conditions for what its worth. If this keeps going the way it is, I should (knock on wood) get 2,000kms out of this chain. ?

Mountie

Apr 29, 2018
Canada
Just a quick update my SRAM xx1 hollow pin chain has lasted 470kms and still isn’t showing worn out, compare this to the stock chain hitting 400kms and the KMC ebike chain only 299kms I’d say it has been my best pick so far.
I’m located in Canada and I think the higher 32kph limit has something to do wth the lousy mileage I get out of chains. I’m usually cruising at 28kph still under motor assist where UK and EU riders motors have signed off at 25kph. It’s a theory at this point only time will tell.
So far the best most durable chain I’ve found is the SRAM PCxx1 hollow pin using a wet lube

Mountie

Apr 29, 2018
Canada
Well here's a update on my Shimano CN-HG901-11 chain. The chain has just over 1,000kms on it now and it is still under 0.50 on the chain gauge. This has not been treated like a princess like my KMC chain. It has been wiped clean and lubed after every third ride. I ride in strictly dry conditions for what its worth. If this keeps going the way it is, I should (knock on wood) get 2,000kms out of this chain. ?
Levorunner what was the cost of that chain?

idahoskiguy

May 16, 2018
Idaho USA
Using the Park Chain Tool to monitor my chain, renewed my chain at 600 miles (965 km) when the shifting started being less than optimal and the limit was exceeded. Noticed that the chain was at the limit at 400 miles and stayed there for the next 200 miles until it exceeded the limit. Definitely replace the chain when the limit is exceeded but it seems the chain will take a set and stay at the limit for quite a while.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles