38t chainring on turbo levo 2020

TVDW

Mar 3, 2020
Netherlands
I read several threads about changing the 32t chainring into 36t chainring on a turbo levo.
But I can not find anything about somebody has really mounted a 38t chainring on a Turbo Levo 2020.
Will the 38t chainring fit on this bike, or is it to big.
Would be nice to hear if somebody really mounted one to try this out.
Thanks for your reply.

NULevo

Nov 7, 2019
Nottingham
I fitted a 36 on mine, before I did, I checked the manual and it says 36t is the max chainring to be fitted.

When I spoke to the LBS, they said anything bigger than 36t messes with the torque and power sensors and would also void the warranty.

Pumpemup

Apr 24, 2020
UK
I fitted a 38T chainring (SRAM Eagle) on my Levo. I also bought a modified chain guide from a company in the US that makes these on a 3D printer. To be honest, I wasn’t a fan of the 32T standard chainring because I spent 90% of the time in the two smallest gears on the rear cassette and wore them out after only 6 months of riding. It seems a bit pointless to me to have to replace the rear cassette just because the two smallest cogs are worn and skipping, particularly with the outlandish cost of a decent SRAM cassette and chain. I find that I use far more of the range of gears at the rear with the 38T chain ring and this increases the overall life of the cassette.

TVDW

Mar 3, 2020
Netherlands
I fitted a 38T chainring (SRAM Eagle) on my Levo. I also bought a modified chain guide from a company in the US that makes these on a 3D printer. To be honest, I wasn’t a fan of the 32T standard chainring because I spent 90% of the time in the two smallest gears on the rear cassette and wore them out after only 6 months of riding. It seems a bit pointless to me to have to replace the rear cassette just because the two smallest cogs are worn and skipping, particularly with the outlandish cost of a decent SRAM cassette and chain. I find that I use far more of the range of gears at the rear with the 38T chain ring and this increases the overall life of the cassette.
Thanks for your answer, I had exactly the same problem of using the two smallest cogs to much, I am already using the 36t with indeed the chainguide orderd in the US. And you are not having any torque of power problems like NuLevo is telling in his thread? I see online that Praxis is offering the chainring in steel untill 38 tooth. I would like to try that so that my chain line is more in the middle of the rear cassette more times.

James_C

Nov 25, 2019
Kent, UK
I seem to be in 10/11th a lot too.

how many teeth does the 36t move you up the cassette then?

also any problems with 1st not being low enough for a climb?

TVDW

Mar 3, 2020
Netherlands
I seem to be in 10/11th a lot too.

how many teeth does the 36t move you up the cassette then?

also any problems with 1st not being low enough for a climb?
It all depends ofcourse which terrain you are riding, I live in the Netherlands with lots of trails but no serious hills. So I use first gear almost never, only on really very steep climbs, but mostly I can do all my heavy climbing in second or third gear.(with the 36t chainring upfront) With the 36t chainring I am now more riding in 7, 8 and 9th gear, and not so much on 10 and 11th. So this is for me already a much better situation.

James_C

Nov 25, 2019
Kent, UK
it will probably wear slower too as there are more teeth on those gears. I do use 1st but only occasionally.

Pumpemup

Apr 24, 2020
UK
Thanks for your answer, I had exactly the same problem of using the two smallest cogs to much, I am already using the 36t withindeed the chainguide orderd in the US. And you are not having any torque of power problems like NuLevo is telling in his thread? I see online that Praxis is offering the chainring in steel untill 38 tooth. I would like to try that so that my chain line is more in the middle of the rear cassette more times.
Hi TVDW, I’m not aware of any apparent torque or power problems. The ride feels pretty much the same as with the smaller chain ring, except that I don’t ever end up over-pedalling. I’m able to maintain my usual cadence but in a lower (larger) gear, so I’m not sure there’s too much impact on torque or power. I converted to a 12 speed AXS system and at almost £350 for a replacement cassette and £50 or so for the chain, I have every incentive to get the most out of each before having to change them again. As James_C points out, another advantage of the larger chainring is that wear appears to be much lower using the larger cogs at the rear in comparison with constantly being on the smallest two.

Last edited:

Thomas

Aug 29, 2018
Europe
38T
IMG_4356.JPG

dygit

Oct 23, 2019
Island of Hawaii

Was there an offset (3mm or 6mm) in the spec of the SRAM Eagle chainring or do you have a part number? How many link chain did you put on to accommodate the new chainring? Thanks!

Pumpemup

Apr 24, 2020
UK
Was there an offset (3mm or 6mm) in the spec of the SRAM Eagle chainring or do you have a part number? How many link chain did you put on to accommodate the new chainring? Thanks!
Not sure about any offset... I’ve attached a photo of the chain ring showing what’s printed on it (you can also see the modified chain guide which accommodates the 38T ring). I also needed new chain ring bolts (6mm, not 10mm) because the original chain ring attaches directly onto the spider and the Eagle ring doesn’t. My chain now has 122 links for this set up - I have a 10-50, 12 speed cassette on the back.

550CA02E-80BC-4F2E-B647-F9D6A17C473A.jpeg

65C1D87E-EB67-49AD-B886-E442D6167396.jpeg

dygit

Oct 23, 2019
Island of Hawaii
Not sure about any offset... I’ve attached a photo of the chain ring showing what’s printed on it (you can also see the modified chain guide which accommodates the 38T ring). I also needed new chain ring bolts (6mm, not 10mm) because the original chain ring attaches directly onto the spider and the Eagle ring doesn’t. My chain now has 122 links for this set up - I have a 10-50, 12 speed cassette on the back.
My bad - the chain ring if mounted to the spider has no offset - only if direct mount (3mm if boosted like Turbo Levo). Curious, what other mods were necessary to go to 12 speed?
View attachment 30406

View attachment 30407

Pumpemup

Apr 24, 2020
UK
The existing freehub accommodates both the 11 and 12 speed SRAM cassettes. Goes without saying that you’ll need a 12 speed shifter up front. I’m using the AXS 12 speed shifter and if I’m honest, it’s too easy to inadvertently knock the gear shifter when you pull up, particularly when you’re wearing thicker gloves in the cold weather. This can make for a rather embarrassing ‘clunk-fest’ through the gears when setting off again!

Oct 20, 2020
Colorado
I read several threads about changing the 32t chainring into 36t chainring on a turbo levo.
But I can not find anything about somebody has really mounted a 38t chainring on a Turbo Levo 2020.
Will the 38t chainring fit on this bike, or is it to big.
Would be nice to hear if somebody really mounted one to try this out.
Thanks for your reply.
I am running a 38t chainring on a turbo levo and while the tolerances are quite tight to the frame, it does fit and will work with the original chain length. Is anyone running any different cassettes? I am thinking about a 9-42t and maybe dropping the front to 36t. The closeness of the chainring teeth to may carbon frame makes me a bit nervous....

38.jpg

38t.jpg

willeco

Jul 28, 2020
Halle
I am running a 38t chainring on a turbo levo and while the tolerances are quite tight to the frame, it does fit and will work with the original chain length. Is anyone running any different cassettes? I am thinking about a 9-42t and maybe dropping the front to 36t. The closeness of the chainring teeth to may carbon frame makes me a bit nervous....

View attachment 42554

View attachment 42555
No chain guide ? Brrrr...? that would make me nervous too...

Christo

Nov 7, 2020
Athens
hello guys, i am wondering if you could help me, i just got my turbo levo 2021 and just bought a 38t Sram eagle chainring, however it doesn't fit on the 2021 frame, the teeth are touching the frame.

Does anyone else have the same issue, it seems to me that for the 2021 levo , i could fit only a 36t chainring, looking forward to your feedback. Cheers

Oct 20, 2020
Colorado
hello guys, i am wondering if you could help me, i just got my turbo levo 2021 and just bought a 38t Sram eagle chainring, however it doesn't fit on the 2021 frame, the teeth are touching the frame.

Does anyone else have the same issue, it seems to me that for the 2021 levo , i could fit only a 36t chainring, looking forward to your feedback. Cheers
I have a FSA megatooth 38t chainring on my 2020 levo and it is very close to the frame, around 3mm. The guy at the LBS said it was fine but when I asked Specialized they said the maximum that would fit is 36t .

Christo

Nov 7, 2020
Athens
I have a FSA megatooth 38t chainring on my 2020 levo and it is very close to the frame, around 3mm. The guy at the LBS said it was fine but when I asked Specialized they said the maximum that would fit is 36t .
Thanks for getting back, my model is 2021, it seems the frame is slightly larger around the chainring area, i would be great if someone with 2021 frame could confirm. Thanks again

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles