3,000+ KM 2018 Levo fsr

kcarbon

Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
australia
Hello, well thought I would post some pic's just took, also my levo to date has been trouble free, other than setting up hard forks at start. I also changed from original 2.8" Butcher tyres to the 27.5 X 3.0" Ground Control , Purgatory. as like how they roll how they ride. well yesterday. replaced my first warn out tyre, was the rear, front still looks ok. replaced with same Ground Control 27.5 X 3.0".

IMG_2201.JPG

IMG_2203.JPG

IMG_2204.JPG

Tori

Apr 1, 2018
Australia
Nice photos Kcarbon, looks like you're getting out on your beast quite a lot :)

I've just clocked over 500km, and loving it. The Butcher 2.8's are going pretty well - how do you compare the purgatory in the larger size? For the sand pictured, they would no doubt be better . . . but how to they work out for you on the hardpack and bike park?

Also, quick question - what's the torque spec on the rear axle? 15Nm?

kcarbon

Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
australia
Nice photos Kcarbon, looks like you're getting out on your beast quite a lot :)

I've just clocked over 500km, and loving it. The Butcher 2.8's are going pretty well - how do you compare the purgatory in the larger size? For the sand pictured, they would no doubt be better . . . but how to they work out for you on the hardpack and bike park?

Also, quick question - what's the torque spec on the rear axle? 15Nm?

Hi Tory, thank you, I loved your vid!!
torque spec for rear axle, off hand I'm not sure, but to be honest I have never used a torque wrench on front or rear axles in my life. I just turn them feeling axle turn in the thread. I make sure I can feel it turn smoothly, if not I remove it double check thread is clean and free of dirt. then when I feel it turning smoothly. I tighten but not over tighten just so it is firm. ( that reminds me I had an axle come loose LBS had fitted it and I just trusted there work ) lucky when axle came out, I was not a long way from home so walked it home took back to LBS, needed new axle. this one has a fixed leaver on the end so I just check it before rides. go to go now , but will talk tyres when I get home. I will also talk about torque rench's.
It is hard to find accurate small Torque rench, I went to an importer of quality tool's. he was showing me how to check accuracy, we went through a lot of them not one was spot on. have to test them find out how far out, to get accurate torque. I only use them on engines.

the Butcher Tyre was fine, just I was having problems with forks, LBS set too hard. I was bouncing over rough down hill. took a while to get forks set close. also noticed the Butcher do not roll as well as the low pressure 27.5 X 3.0" specilize also have. but I did ride on soft sand with the Butcher & it was fine, I was able to ride fast over soft sand with the Butcher tread too. it is the first bike I've owned I could ride over soft sand. the Levo HT I had, I was only able to adjust power settings from battery button, so I mostly road that in eco. with this bike before I go onto a beach I hit the power button twice, go into turbo power, then speed up, keep speed right up unless hit the firmer sand. the 27.5 X 3.0" with 12 p s I front ( tubeless ) & 15 p s I rear 75KG rider. has good traction hard pack and other surfaces, I think Butcher better for Mud. but I avoid water or mud ( paranoid about the electric's ) has not rained here this month. hope helpful .

Last edited:

kcarbon

Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
australia
Out of curiosity, how many chains have you used while riding more than 3000 km's, if I may ask?
I am on the original chain, I take it to LBS for servicing , they are Specilized trained, but I don't ride in rain or mud ,& always keen chain after each ride 7 lube with, the lube LBS recommended . next service next week. have a 55km group ride Monday mostly hard pack dirt tracks in mountains rough rocky single track mix.

kcarbon

Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
australia
I think, no two bikes would get under same stress loads. unless we have two people same weight, same riding style ride in same conditions. I suppose it could happen. just operator plays a part.

SteveF

May 27, 2018
new zealand
Nice pics, wish I was there now, not freezing my butt off in a New Zealand winter. Anyhow I have a question. Do you have an issue getting underway after stopping on an incline, especially a singletrack with rocks, roots, ruts etc and it takes a half to a pedal stroke to get the motor to switch on?
My older eMTB had the torque sensor in the chain stay and would detect instant tension on the top chain line. Motor reaction was instantaneous and I never had a problem getting enough momentum to maintain balance when starting on steeper inclines. From what I've heard this can be an issue with the Levo's. So your opinion would be valuable
many thanks

steve

kcarbon

Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
australia
Nice pics, wish I was there now, not freezing my butt off in a New Zealand winter. Anyhow I have a question. Do you have an issue getting underway after stopping on an incline, especially a singletrack with rocks, roots, ruts etc and it takes a half to a pedal stroke to get the motor to switch on?
My older eMTB had the torque sensor in the chain stay and would detect instant tension on the top chain line. Motor reaction was instantaneous and I never had a problem getting enough momentum to maintain balance when starting on steeper inclines. From what I've heard this can be an issue with the Levo's. So your opinion would be valuable
many thanks

steve

Hi Steve , thank's m8, we could swap places for a week. always want to get over NZ. been a long summer, but winter will cool it in June!

well the question hard to honestly say, I had a 2016 Levo HT I got as a used demo at good price, that was a different bike all together. this 2018, if I hit to power button it responds quick but I don't pay lot of attention. I can start off on steep incline. but I have not had to start off with a rock at front wheel yet so could not really say. but as I posted before I love the change from 32 tooth crank to 36 tooth crank. made me faster ( over motor ) it always felt too low geared to me personally, 32 tooth as I was always in the small gears at the rear cluster & had never used the two large gears, now use them all. also the group I mostly ride with are fast riders & most don't use e bikes but all mountain bikes. if on a flat all going hard they used to get away, as was over the motor that cuts out 24kph I think, we go faster a lot, I am now up near the front . they are a good group to ride with too as can all ride in tight pack no worry about bike in front they just go! but all will signal if see something or get a flat or so on. my close friend who rides in the group too has a levo and heavier than I am, no chain replacement yet.

Tori

Apr 1, 2018
Australia
My chain is almost at 0.75 stretch with my original chain on my 2018 Turbo Levo Expert. I'm going to replace it ASAP - and need ideas on chains for replacement. KMC make a bunch of EMTB chains : KMC Chain but they are hard to find with local suppliers. Does anyone have some good recommendations? I'm inclined to source the KMC X11E EPT : X11e EPT for MTB | KMC Chain

outerlimits

E*POWAH BOSS
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia
My chain is almost at 0.75 stretch with my original chain on my 2018 Turbo Levo Expert. I'm going to replace it ASAP - and need ideas on chains for replacement. KMC make a bunch of EMTB chains : KMC Chain but they are hard to find with local suppliers. Does anyone have some good recommendations? I'm inclined to source the KMC X11E EPT : X11e EPT for MTB | KMC Chain
I am now using a SRAM pcx1 and Squirt lube about ever 50-100km and it’s at 0.5 after 1000km and no drama so far.
Original lasted 600km using Ride Mechanic bike milk, which is a bit thinner.

Dax

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 25, 2018
FoD
Anyone got a recommendation for a change stretch measuring tool?

kcarbon

Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
australia
I have been riding and racing motor bikes a long time, I put a new chain on a motor bike, does not matter how strong or expensive the chain is. and it will stretch straight away. I look at the chain fit to the Sproket & mine fits right. the guy at LBS said same, does not jump teeth. shifts ok.
I'll admit totally different system on a pushy. to the fixed style motor bikes use, or fixed drive pushys.
my bike gets a service this week.

Reactions: Dax

MartynG

May 26, 2018
Leeds
What chain oils etc do you guys recommend for the ebike?

I was thinking Muck Off Dry (as we get a lot of damp / cold weather) or Muck Off Wet.

Has anyone also made changes to their derailleur, I think mine is fractionally off as my chain is taking a while to change on occasion.

outerlimits

E*POWAH BOSS
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia
What chain oils etc do you guys recommend for the ebike?

I was thinking Muck Off Dry (as we get a lot of damp / cold weather) or Muck Off Wet.

Has anyone also made changes to their derailleur, I think mine is fractionally off as my chain is taking a while to change on occasion.
Make sure the wheel on the SRAM derailleur that the cable wraps around spins freely. It will make it shift slow from big cog to small. They are prone to seizing in wet muddy conditions.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
I've been using Muc Off wet or dry depending on conditions for a couple of years but the extra wear produced by eBikes has me wondering if I should be using something more tenacious.
I found a sample bottle of Squirt Dry Lube in the garage so I gave that a go for this weekend. The chain is noticeably cleaner than when I use the Muc Off wet lube and still feels like there is lube on the chain after Saturday's wetish ride.
As eBikes don't need to eke every last watt I'm thinking of going over to Putolene Chain Wax for future chains but it will require some infrastructure investment to do it properly/safely.

MartynG

May 26, 2018
Leeds
Make sure the wheel on the SRAM derailleur that the cable wraps around spins freely. It will make it shift slow from big cog to small. They are prone to seizing in wet muddy conditions.

I'll check that tonight, I also noticed today a very interesting thing today.

If the bike is in 1st gear and i push it backwards, It drops to 2nd gear?

@Dom I think I may move to dry lube moving forward as I find it is much less gloopy after a ride wet or dry. Curious to see how the new wax works out I think this is why a sticky thread with best practices and options could be very worth while. This way if one person makes a mistake or finds a great tool/fix etc no one else need suffer.

outerlimits

E*POWAH BOSS
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia
I'll check that tonight, I also noticed today a very interesting thing today.

If the bike is in 1st gear and i push it backwards, It drops to 2nd gear?

@Dom I think I may move to dry lube moving forward as I find it is much less gloopy after a ride wet or dry. Curious to see how the new wax works out I think this is why a sticky thread with best practices and options could be very worth while. This way if one person makes a mistake or finds a great tool/fix etc no one else need suffer.
Yeah wax lubes are great in wet or dry. I use Squirt, or Ride mechanic Bike milk.
You could also make your own, just google search paraffin wax chain lube. There are a few vids to look at.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles