• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

Answered 29 versus 27.5 in terms of power

Grovester

Sep 3, 2022
Manchester
Hi,

I have recently replaced my 29 wheel bike with a 27.5 wheel bike but weight, gearing and motor are the same.

I always need to do 3miles road ride to get to the trails and I am convinced that this road ride is much more effort / power with the 27.5 wheels... or I have lost fitness

Can anyone tell me if the 27.5 need more effort/power for the road ride and explain why.

Thanks, Phil

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I guess a 27.5 will spin up/accelerate faster as it's smaller. Where as a 29 will maintain speed easier because it's larger/heavier.

Maybe your 27.5 tyres are new and your 29's were worn so there's more knob drag too ?

With the 27.5 the effective gearing will be lower than it would be on the 29, so you might find that to go the same speed you're selecting a higher gear which is making it feel a bit harder ?

mtbbiker

Sep 15, 2018
Murrieta
Is it possible you are hitting the speed limiter. If you didn’t do a wheel size change to the computer, the 27.5” will show a faster speed than what you are actually doing. Just a thought

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I interpreted the OPs post as he had changed bikes albeit with similar weights and the same motor..............rather than having just swopped out the 29er wheels on an existing bike with 27.5.

Grovester

Sep 3, 2022
Manchester
Hi, yes it was a bike swap from a Cube Stereo Hybrid 140 TM 29"wheel to a Cube Stereo Hybrid 160 Race 27.5" wheel.

So different geometry, but weight, motor and gearing the same. I was out on it yesterday and felt better so maybe it is just in my head.

Just googled it and found the following:-

What is the difference between 29 and 27.5 wheels? Simply put, a 29er offers more speed, efficiency and stability, while a 27.5-inch bike offers a snappier trail feel.

So I guess this means the smaller wheel needs more effort/power. Can't quite work out the physics though.

andyb2

Jan 10, 2020
somerset
if the chainring and cassette are the same, the 27.5 will be lower geared (you'll need to pedal more to go the same distance as on a 29, but it should be easier)

As to whether you'd notice this above bike weight / tyre differences, I've no idea

Last edited:

Gyre

Jan 25, 2021
Pasadena, CA
I think @Zimmerframe is onto it. If your 27.5 knobbies are more difficult to pedal on asphalt, I'd look to the difference in tires. Either knob wear, knob pattern/height, heavier casing, softer compound, or different tire width could be factoring in.

JP-NZ

E*POWAH Elite
Feb 17, 2022
Christchurch - New Zealand
Just googled it and found the following:-

What is the difference between 29 and 27.5 wheels? Simply put, a 29er offers more speed, efficiency and stability, while a 27.5-inch bike offers a snappier trail feel.

So I guess this means the smaller wheel needs more effort/power. Can't quite work out the physics though.

I thought this was common knowledge, 29" wheeled bikes are faster climbing and on the flat. There is a reason why XC racers all race on 29ers

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I thought this was common knowledge, 29" wheeled bikes are faster climbing and on the flat. There is a reason why XC racers all race on 29ers
...simply because they have less rolling resistance especially off road .....and being a bigger diameter carry more momentum.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles