2024 Fox X2 changes - better reliability

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Hi all,

Just a heads up, 2024 Fox X2’s have some internal changes to improve reliability.

Everything listed as NEW has changed. 2024 shocks are coming through now.
50725FFA-791F-4E95-8088-24CC1EFB524B.jpeg

I also asked Fox UK about them - they have been updating customers X2 shocks that have been sent in for service recently with some of the new parts from 2024 specs. Here’s what they said:

Hi Rob,

We have been updating service X2 shocks (MY2021 onwards) with 2024 shafts, bearing assemblies, trunnion eyelets and bodies for a while now but the complete production 2024 shocks are just coming on stream. They do have some extra tweaks to the compression damping circuit but in terms of reliability it’s the hard parts listed that do the heavy lifting.

As an example, we haven’t seen any trunnion shocks that have been fitted with the strengthened eyelet and body back for the same problem.

Hopefully that will improve the x2 reliability considerably.

Shjay

Apr 30, 2019
Kent
Since 2013 Fox have always said their new forks & shocks are best EVER each year 😂 that’s why I don’t run Fox suspension loads of better choice out there

The Reverend

Aug 13, 2022
Melbourne
They have been claiming each year its fixed since the original X2 in 2017.
Time will tell I suppose but I won't be buying another.
Yep, I've been bitten by the 2022 X2 improved reliability enough times to know better. They're a lovely shock when they work. That window is rather short unfortunately.
My 2019 model was solid though.

• Agree
Reactions: Dax

ebikerider

Oct 1, 2019
Australia
I'm running an updated 2022 X2 to 2024 specs on my long linked Levo. I'll update this thread once I get more time on it re reliability but so far so good (three rides lol)

Dax

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 25, 2018
FoD
Yep, I've been bitten by the 2022 X2 improved reliability enough times to know better. They're a lovely shock when they work. That window is rather short unfortunately.
My 2019 model was solid though.

100% agree. The X2s I've ridden have been the best air shock I've tried, but I just couldn't trust one.

Cane Creek managed to get past their reliability nightmare with the inline, hopefully fox can do it with the x2, but it's going to take a few years for people to trust them again.

Ou812

Jun 26, 2022
Fort William
I’m not sure what Fox did to mine when it was warrantied, it was sent in back in October for a rebuild under warranty. It lasted 23 miles before it shit the bed again so if they were using these “improved” kits back then they still suck.

• Wow
Reactions: Dax
Feb 6, 2023
Uk
Can they make the can, and I guess the piston, half a mm smaller so it does not rub the x2 sticker off on the top frame rail on the orbea rise? Might be more on small medium and large models

No? Oh ok then

Oakhills

Jul 27, 2022
Oakland, California
Sent my X2 performance in for warranty today, they will be sending me a 2024 factory model to replace. The shock was still working ok, but when adding a volume spacer, there was a lot of oil in the chamber, and the air pressure was starting to drop as the oil and air chambers co-mingled. It lasted me 5 months, 1300 miles. The bike is a 2022 Levo Expert. I look forward to riding the updated model, hope it lasts a long time!

Canyon Shawn

Feb 4, 2023
Lake Sherwood, California
Sent my X2 performance in for warranty today, they will be sending me a 2024 factory model to replace. The shock was still working ok, but when adding a volume spacer, there was a lot of oil in the chamber, and the air pressure was starting to drop as the oil and air chambers co-mingled. It lasted me 5 months, 1300 miles. The bike is a 2022 Levo Expert. I look forward to riding the updated model, hope it lasts a long time!
Oh nice! It’s nice that Fox steps up and gives people new updated shocks. Although, they should have had a handle on this a long time ago. I’ve installed mine. I have a couple hundred mikes on it. I opened all the adjusters, set sag to 30% and set the adjusters per Fox recommendations, which are based on the psi needed to get 30% sag. I really like it, a lot. And I just installed a Marzocchi coil kit into my Fox 36 Rhythm. It’s a great combination.
IMG_1566.jpeg

Cb750stu

Subscriber
Nov 6, 2020
United Kingdom
Do you just have to send it to Silverfish or somewhere else or do you just have to go through a specialized dealer?? I've got a 22 one of my levo needing sorted !!

mustclime

Apr 19, 2023
New Jerzy
I think the whole design is fuct, bigger seals equal more friction and area for a seal to fail. I am not sold on the larger air volume meaning plusher suspension. If you look at the air spring on the 38, I think fox thinks this as well…. But who knows

Last edited:

VentureBro

Dec 9, 2023
California
I got my bike second hand and it came with a factory X2 2022. I sent it in for a 2024. They shipped it to me today. Took about 2 weeks to get to this point. Hoping to try it next week.

But yes, they will warranty second hand ones.

Ridenfool

Oct 18, 2021
Tejas
While doing post-purchase research and reading up on tuning and customer feedback on the X2, I've now found several of these threads mentioning the factory swap for a 24 model. (on MTBR and PinkBike as well)

I was so close to ordering a CC Kitsuma Air, to match the Helm Mk2 Air fork that was purchased on a recent sale, then saw the half price deal on a Factory Float X2, read some of the sterling reviews, and said "Take my money" as fast as I could put in the order.

The "new old stock" 2022 model ordered a few days ago will arrive this week, and I guess I'll be sending it straight to Fox for a 2024 model without even unboxing it. Unless I need to spring it from the cardboard in order to provide a serial number for the RMA.

Hopefully they have the bugs worked out with the significant design changes made to the 2024 version. Keeping fingers crossed.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
The "new old stock" 2022 model ordered a few days ago will arrive this week, and I guess I'll be sending it straight to Fox for a 2024 model without even unboxing it.
Will they actually accept that or are they only replacing shocks that have failed?

Ridenfool

Oct 18, 2021
Tejas
Will they actually accept that or are they only replacing shocks that have failed?

Reading through multiple threads across several forums, it seems like Fox is trying to avoid anyone being injured from a failure and is replacing all earlier versions of the X2 voluntarily. By being proactive they avoid having to make a public announcement of a recall.

If that is the reasoning behind the replacement I'm hopeful that I'll be issued an RMA and get my place in the queue.

I'll post up when I find out whether or not this is indeed the case.

Last edited:

Ridenfool

Oct 18, 2021
Tejas
Okay, here's the skinny from Fox support on swapping out new shocks.
First, I was asked for the serial number. Based upon that, the rep said they would rather the rider run the shock until it exhibits symptoms. Specifically, the slurping noises that indicate there is an internal seal issue.

What I got from the conversation is that there are only some of the shocks that have the problem and many that have not reported any issues. So, it seems they feel it is better to go ride and try to break it.

Fortunately, I'm good at breaking things. So, if it is one of the few with a potential for problems I will find the weakness and exploit it.
😈

@Doomanic and anyone else following along. Disregard all of the above.
That is the answer you get when you call and go to the Bike department, then Press 1. Don't do that.
Those who answer are Sales critters and don't know anything technical nor anything about policy for the Float X2 replacement program.

Instead, Press 2 for Service

Having some issues with setup, I called back, wanting to talk to a tech. I decided to Press 2 this time.

I told him I had a new shock and described what I had questions about regarding my setup and he ran my serial number and immediately offered the option of replacement. Didn't even feel the need to try to address my questions. They want to replace the older versions of the shock.

He said it is their policy to offer replacement for anyone who has an earlier version of the shock.

Further, he asked about my bike (Turbo Levo) and said they have a special tune developed for that bike and suggested I make a note when I set up the return online to have that done. Also, considering me being a Clydesdale rider, he said if I mentioned it they will preinstall Volume Spacers.

In the Problem Description field online I mentioned the offered replacement, the Specialized Levo tune, Shock and stroke length, and asked for 2 Volume Spacers to be installed. (three is the limit)

After doing a reverse R&R, putting the original shock back on the bike, I went through the return process online and was emailed the paperwork to include with my return. Then, boxed it all up, headed to the post office, and shipped it.

The tech also said the North Carolina Service Center has the X2 2024 in stock, and that turn around would be fast. Like 3-5 days for them to get to setting mine up and shipped back. I pay shipping to them, they cover the return trip. Should have the replacement shock in less than two weeks.

Moral of the story, never trust a sales critter with a technical question. (their phone queue is a little ambiguous about what pressing 1 is for) Just get to the Bike department and then Press 2 for Service.

Last edited:

Ridenfool

Oct 18, 2021
Tejas
After some feedback in another forum, I'm contacting Fox and asking for the Standard Tune rather than the Specialized Tune. The message came from someone who dyno tests shocks for a living.

The scuttlebutt is that these "factory tunes" often suffer from too many cooks in the kitchen (Fox and bike OEM engineers collaborating) and the results he has tested have been hit and miss. Leaning more toward the "miss" side on his dyno.

Thinking back, the Fox tech seemed to have a little doubt in his voice when telling me this option was available.

Update: After some back and forth in email a "medium" tune for Compression and Rebound, and, 2 Volume Spacers was recommended. This was based upon the service writer's personal experience running this shock on the same bike I ride and taking into consideration my riding weight.

Tracking says they'll get the shock tomorrow and it could be on its way back by the end of the week if the queue for setting up the replacement isn't very long.

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles