Levo SL Gen 1 Levo SL 2023 Megathread

Suns_PSD

Jul 12, 2022
Austin
Well, we Americans watch pop culture, but studying math, not so much. I will admit I can in fact perfectly picture A. Grande; whereas 1.62 meters, not so much.

The Alligator unit of measurement makes great sense in the state of FL, particularly to the susceptible & shockingly large 'under 35-year-old grandmother' segment of the population.

Anyways, when are we going to see the new SJ SL and most importantly, will it include an AK mount on the carbon bars?

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
will it include an AK mount on the carbon bars?
Apparently, according to Spesh Insiders, this is was the problem.

In America Bigger is better. Plus, the AK was a Soviet design - which has obviously recently fallen out of fashion (are you secretly part of the SL roadmap team ?).

Hence, they decided to pull the original design and start from scratch.

The new SL will be capable of supporting the M134D. Following a survey of several US based SL owners this was their preferred weapon of choice for garden care, general hunting, hedge trimming - when not using their side arm.

1670957979617.png

One of the main issues to overcome has been the stem mounted bullet feed (no on wants ugly feeds on a bike) which has resulted in a new 200mm headstock (20000% stiffer and has an ash tray, cigar cutter and hot dog maker built in)

we Americans watch pop culture, but studying math, not so much.

Times scales are up in the air. Somewhere between 3 and 10 moth lives. 12 Alligator poops. 14 UK PM changes (sorry mods, that's not supposed to be political, it's a very random unknown quantity like the SL Mk2 or SSL?)

Hope this helps.

In the meantime, it's nearing xmas, can bambam post some mama xmas pictures as otherwise this thread kinda lacks any purpose .. or maybe some recipes ...

smc_stefan

Oct 10, 2022
Austria
Well, we Americans watch pop culture, but studying math, not so much. I will admit I can in fact perfectly picture A. Grande; whereas 1.62 meters, not so much.

The Alligator unit of measurement makes great sense in the state of FL, particularly to the susceptible & shockingly large 'under 35-year-old grandmother' segment of the population.

Anyways, when are we going to see the new SJ SL and most importantly, will it include an AK mount on the carbon bars?
But how would you measure torque then?
Alligators per square swamp? :LOL:

oettam20

Mar 3, 2021
Lugano
Yesterday on the EMBN show there was a "comparison" of the pure strength of the motors of light eMTB.
Apart the lack of scientific approach ( no power meter to control a standardized power output from the rider) and no Orbea Rise in the comparison, it seems as a perfect marketing story to justify the lover Nm of the Specialized SL.
In the end the SL results the quicker uphill....:rolleyes:

Specialized is the only brand, in this test, that sponsor the EMBN channel, and this video seems more a marketing justification written by Specialized, or better, a preparation for a new light eMTB that on the technical sheet seems in disadvantage in Nm compared to the other competitors (50 Nm of the new motor..?)

Is it finally time for the presentation of the SL new model?

Streddaz

Jul 7, 2022
Tasmania
Yesterday on the EMBN show there was a "comparison" of the pure strength of the motors of light eMTB.
Apart the lack of scientific approach ( no power meter to control a standardized power output from the rider) and no Orbea Rise in the comparison, it seems as a perfect marketing story to justify the lover Nm of the Specialized SL.

Specialized is the only brand, in this test, that sponsor the EMBN channel, and this video seems more a marketing justification written by Specialized, or better, a preparation for a new light eMTB that on the technical sheet seems in disadvantage in Nm compared to the other competitors (50 Nm of the new motor..?)

Yes, it certainly wasn't very scientific at all, but motor efficiency could have a lot to do with it if the numbers are true.

The whole chasing of numbers, range etc is a bit pointless as the biggest factor in the performance of the bike is the person riding it. You can have a fit ride on a lesser powered bike that can beat the less fit rider on a more powerful bike.
I did a ride last weekend which was a 40km loop with 1200m of climbing. I did it with 36% battery remaining on my 320Wh Levo SL and another guy did the same loop on a Merida E160 in Eco the whole way with a 630Wh battery and it ran flat before he completed the loop. He weighs 100kg and isn't super fit, I weigh 76kg and have a reasonable bike fitness.

boBE

Apr 12, 2020
FL
Yes, it certainly wasn't very scientific at all, but motor efficiency could have a lot to do with it if the numbers are true.

The whole chasing of numbers, range etc is a bit pointless as the biggest factor in the performance of the bike is the person riding it. You can have a fit ride on a lesser powered bike that can beat the less fit rider on a more powerful bike.
I did a ride last weekend which was a 40km loop with 1200m of climbing. I did it with 36% battery remaining on my 320Wh Levo SL and another guy did the same loop on a Merida E160 in Eco the whole way with a 630Wh battery and it ran flat before he completed the loop. He weighs 100kg and isn't super fit, I weigh 76kg and have a reasonable bike fitness.
Interesting: to lift 125 kg (rider + bike) 1200 m takes about 400 wh, not counting efficiency losses and the rest of the ride distance. If the other rider was not putting much into the pedals we can see why he ran out of battery power.
Stupid laws of physics! ;)

I ride a 43 km loop with maybe 30 m of climbing (spread throughout the ride) and finish with almost 50% battery power.

Pdoz

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Feb 16, 2019
Maffra Victoria Australia
That video is more likely a paid promotion to up the sales of existing SL’s to get rid of ‘em before the new one arrives.

Nah, they just supplied the higher talk motor and asked him to test it against whatever .

It wouldn't be the first time a big brand quietly snuck in a replacement motor - Giant upgraded their epro ( yamaha pwx) motor in 2000 but were supplying the upgraded motor for months before advertising a "new improved" version. You can toss a coin and more accurately work out which motor is in a 2000 model trance .

We haven't had a new conspiracy thread for ages - how about " do you have the new sl motor" ? - anyone with a quiet, more punchy feeling warranty motor can list the serial number .....

KnollyBro

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 3, 2020
Vancouver
So what those in the "know" are saying is, I should wait until Spring to replace the motor in my KSL which is clearly showing signs of an early death? I have to wonder if Specialized would not try to get rid of all their old SL motors first before switching to an upgraded one when doing warrantee replacements. Some of those old SL motors have to work!

boBE

Apr 12, 2020
FL
Old proverb: Those who know are not saying, those who are saying do not know.
It's like the inside info about new rides at Walt Disney World that we hear from the bus drivers. ;)

mitea

Sep 10, 2022
Switzerland - LU

This comparison is so ridiculous not to say faked.

To compare one bike to another regarding numbers like range and power go to a lab and test all bikes standardized or gtfo🙈

Edit: This is how a serious test should be done

Last edited:

galaga187

E*POWAH Master
Apr 15, 2018
Wroughton
That video is more likely a paid promotion to up the sales of existing SL’s to get rid of ‘em before the new one arrives.
Anyone buying a Levo SL off the strength of that video might be looking forwards to riding tarmac uphill to the sound of a 1000 angry wasps for eternity.

Mcharza

E*POWAH BOSS
Aug 10, 2018
Helsinki, Finland
A serious test should be in english….official language..to be understood
China, India and Spanish are understood more in the world.
Of course, on this forum, English is the language that is used and understood. ;)

Source Wikipedia:
Spanish: Today, it is a global language with more than 500 million native speakers, mainly in the Americas and Spain. Spanish is the official language of 20 countries. It is the world's second-most spoken native language after Mandarin Chinese. The world's fourth-most spoken language overall after English, Mandarin Chinese, and Hindustani (Hindi-Urdu); and the world's most widely spoken Romance language

KnollyBro

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 3, 2020
Vancouver
Anyone buying a Levo SL off the strength of that video might be looking forwards to riding tarmac uphill to the sound of a 1000 angry wasps for eternity.
Why would anyone buy a emtb bike based on how well it rides up a road? Like Steve said in the video, "Nobody really care how fast a light to mid assist bike can climb, do they?" Maybe if one was to consider riding an emtb down a mountain but was annoyed by the sound of the freehub (I love my Industry 9 Hydra), they could always go for a quieter one (maybe 250 wasps).
If a tree falls in a forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound? 🤔

Pdoz

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Feb 16, 2019
Maffra Victoria Australia
Why would anyone buy a emtb bike based on how well it rides up a road? Like Steve said in the video, "Nobody really care how fast a light to mid assist bike can climb, do they?" Maybe if one was to consider riding an emtb down a mountain but was annoyed by the sound of the freehub (I love my Industry 9 Hydra), they could always go for a quieter one (maybe 250 wasps).
If a tree falls in a forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound? 🤔

To be fair, riding up roads is the only time I regret buying my sl ( and the only reason I've kept the old giant) . It's not unusual for people to use an emtb to get back up the trail access road - the one I'm thinking off climbs 350 m in 3.5 km but has 2 x steep sections that almost stop me on the sl but are easy on the giant. So about 2/3 mins every month- definitely worth watching a 9 min video for....

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles