Levo Gen 3 2022 turbo levo carbon comp lacking power

wtsheff

Nov 29, 2020
I just upgraded to a 2022 turbo levo carbon comp because of an ovalization of my head tube on my previous 2021 levo aluminum comp.
I was given the option to pay $1800 more to get a newer gen 3 comp carbon with the warranty applied from Specialized.
I am now thinking maybe I should have stuck with the previous model (gen 2) because the new bike cuts out on power noticeably sooner.
The gen 2 bike would give me full support on turbo setting all the way to 20 mph(US model of course) but now the new bike starts limiting power around 16 or 17 mph and is very annoying - I cannot get the same top speed up on certain jumps I used to hit before. The new bike is much smoother when getting close the power limit but I would rather have my full power back even though it was more noticeable when cutting off and on the assistance at 20 mph on the gen 2.
Has anyone else experienced this because unless you have ridden the two bikes back to back you may not notice.
Just was wondering if this was specific to my gen 3 only or if this is how they all perform now.

wtsheff

Nov 29, 2020
perhaps an EU Bike?....there is the cutoff at 25kmh
It must be something unusual as you mentioned because no one else seems to be experiencing the same speed restriction on the gen 3"s. Those were my first thought as well that I got an EU bike somehow.

Dago

Dec 5, 2020
Michigan
Just derestrict it with Pear Tune. Forget about it. This restriction is one of the lamest controls ever, on any two wheeled vehicle.

rpr

Sep 22, 2022
Northern GA
My 2022 Levo SL was way low on power until my dealer did a complete upload of the firmware/software and went through the recalibration process. What a difference. It’s like a different bike.

He first tried just doing an incremental update, that made no difference.

A full upload and recalibration takes some time and patience on the part of your dealer but it’s worth a shot.

wtsheff

Nov 29, 2020
My 2022 Levo SL was way low on power until my dealer did a complete upload of the firmware/software and went through the recalibration process. What a difference. It’s like a different bike.

A full upload and recalibration takes some time and patience on the part of your dealer but it’s worth a shot.
Thanks, I will definitely look into this option.

Dago

Dec 5, 2020
Michigan

That is great- but really? Why can’t specialized get some quality control for the money we are spending? And for that matter, paint their bikes decently!?!

rpr

Sep 22, 2022
Northern GA
Yeah, the dealer just had a hunch that the original factory upload might have been corrupted, or the factory calibration was off. I’m actually happy with the paint on my SL.

One other suggestion. Make sure your dealer uses your actual wheel size during the programming and calibration…tell them not to use larger wheel sizes (fairly common practice to allow higher speed cutoffs). I can’t prove it but I’m convinced it throws off the PAS algorithms and it affects how/when the PAS kicks in. That may have been part of my original issue.

Good luck!

Ché

May 7, 2021
Hull
I just upgraded to a 2022 turbo levo carbon comp because of an ovalization of my head tube on my previous 2021 levo aluminum comp.
I was given the option to pay $1800 more to get a newer gen 3 comp carbon with the warranty applied from Specialized.
I am now thinking maybe I should have stuck with the previous model (gen 2) because the new bike cuts out on power noticeably sooner.
The gen 2 bike would give me full support on turbo setting all the way to 20 mph(US model of course) but now the new bike starts limiting power around 16 or 17 mph and is very annoying - I cannot get the same top speed up on certain jumps I used to hit before. The new bike is much smoother when getting close the power limit but I would rather have my full power back even though it was more noticeable when cutting off and on the assistance at 20 mph on the gen 2.
Has anyone else experienced this because unless you have ridden the two bikes back to back you may not notice.
Just was wondering if this was specific to my gen 3 only or if this is how they all perform now.
Its rre

Ché

May 7, 2021
Hull
Yeah it sounds to me you have the European model, as mine is the same and I've got the kenevo expert and I'm from England, hopefully the shop you got it from can check by its firmware, and you can take it from there, good luck with it👍

High Rock Ruti

May 13, 2019
Massachusetts
High Rock Ruti

Maybe an obvious question, have you tried Mission Control app for power settings?

Warm Regards Ruti

wtsheff

Nov 29, 2020
I just got confirmation from my Specialized shop that the Levo's are restricted to 16 mph from the factory and thankfully they are going to update my firmware tomorrow to allow me up to reach the 20mph limit. Thanks for all the input from everyone to assist with my quandary.

jamtb

Nov 21, 2021
Grove City, Pennsylvania
Are Specialized going to release a motor to replace the Brose to attain some semblance of reliability?The Gen 3 motor released over the summer is doing much better. For the 2019 & 2020 bike motors failed wuite often and thats why they extened the warranty to 4 years for 19 & 20 bikes. The 21 and 22 motors are much more reliable.

ebikerider

Oct 1, 2019
Australia
@jamtb My Friends 2022 Levo has gone thru two motors in 1500kms. My
Bike is new and I’m not holding my breath….it’s only a matter of time before the motor goes ime

jamtb

Nov 21, 2021
Grove City, Pennsylvania
I can tell you from experience you never know. We have hd brand new bikes with a bad motor and some with over 3000 on a motor and still running good. But what I can say they are getting better and better and we replace them less and less often. If you every need direct help reach out to us. www.gearbicyclesales.com

KTMJack

Dec 9, 2021
Oakley Ca.
Specalized sent me a E mail a month ago to come in for a new update
email_header_nav-pad
SPECIALIZED
BIKES
EQUIPMENT
email_header_nav-pad
New features and system improvements for your Turbo await in the latest Turbo System firmware release. This update includes battery enhancements to improve health and longevity, giving you the most accurate and reliable charge indication and performance. Battery updates need to be applied by an authorized Specialized retailer. Please contact your retailer to schedule an appointment.​

Ensure Your Turbo Is Dialed for Your Next Ride​

While your bike is at the shop, it's a good opportunity for a checkup on the drivetrain, brakes, and tires to maintain optimal riding performance. Ask your service technician about performing any recommended maintenance.​

Get Mission Control 3.5​

Never miss an update when you use the Mission Control app. Install now.
DOWNLOAD ON THE APP STORE
GET IT ON GOOGLE PLAY

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles