2022 Trance E+1 Motor “whine”

7869hodgy

Jul 15, 2020
Reading
Hi,

I am finding that my motor has a high pitched whine when applying assistance, typically at a high-ish cadence.

Anyone else got a noisy PX3 motor?

Rubinstein

Apr 7, 2022
kent
yup, had this on my 2022 trance. Tried 5 other bikes in the shop when I took it back to the dealer, all the same. Seems to be a feature of the 2022 motor, worse in the carbon models. For me it was so bad I couldn't put up with it because my style of riding really exaggerated the problem. Bike returned, and full refund given, now back on my 21 Trance with no noise.

7869hodgy

Jul 15, 2020
Reading
yup, had this on my 2022 trance. Tried 5 other bikes in the shop when I took it back to the dealer, all the same. Seems to be a feature of the 2022 motor, worse in the carbon models. For me it was so bad I couldn't put up with it because my style of riding really exaggerated the problem. Bike returned, and full refund given, now back on my 21 Trance with no noise.

Mmmm, probably had mine too long to take back (picked up in September).

Rubinstein

Apr 7, 2022
kent
So to confirm it’s the same. Noise was worse on mine at high cadence with light pedal input, like if you hold rpm before you change gear. If you stomp the pedals and use a lot of assistance, no problem

Bordtea

Oct 2, 2022
Gloucester, UK
Mine does this too. Out of interest how long after purchase did you return for refund?

Rubinstein

Apr 7, 2022
kent
Mine does this too. Out of interest how long after purchase did you return for refund?
1 month. At the time Giant uk and the dealer had not come across the noise so it was explained as a characteristic of the 2022 motor and not a problem. The motor was replaced first before the refund was offered and the noise was exactly the same. Over the last few months I’ve seen a few comments about it on the forum. For most people it’s not an issue, and in fact not even noticed if you use a lot of assist. But because I was comparing it to my 21 model for me it was a step backwards and something I couldn’t put up with on a 6k bike. I was well looked after by Giant and fully intend to check out the 23 models to see if there’s any difference, especially interested in the EL.

7869hodgy

Jul 15, 2020
Reading
Thanks for the responses.

My 21 Trance E+ had motor and all electrics replaced under warranty. Not only has it been reliable, it’s also been very quiet.

I am contemplating selling the 22 and keeping the 21….that said I am sure I’ll get over it for the extra battery life.l

Curt_H

Apr 3, 2022
Twin lakes, CO
Hmm. I have 2022 e 2+ advanced and the motor is almost dead silent. My wife's 2022 alloy does make that whine a lot worse than mine. So I'm not sure it's related at all to the frame material. Maybe just about àll are somewhat whiney, and I was lucky on the one I got? The noise is definitely irritating.

Curt_H

Apr 3, 2022
Twin lakes, CO
But on a positive note, the updated ride control app with new torque and launch settings seem pretty cool! I'll be interested to hear the impressions of actual function and benefits from users...

7869hodgy

Jul 15, 2020
Reading
But on a positive note, the updated ride control app with new torque and launch settings seem pretty cool! I'll be interested to hear the impressions of actual function and benefits from users...

Hnmmm, I’ll have to have a look at that.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles