2022 Rocky Mountain Powerplay - Any idea how to upgrade firmware ?

mRw8

Jan 10, 2022
Switzerland
Hi guys,
I am trying to retrieve information about how to upgrade firmware on the new Powerplay platform ?
Any idea .. any link or doc to share ?

Thanks,
Seb

Oct 22, 2020
California
i did some research several months back and never figured out the software since none of the local Rocky Mountain bike shops near me carry Powerplays and aren't equipped to handle e-bikes.

I did find that you need a special usb cable called "Powerplay cable" (part number 1906003740) that plugs into the speed sensor connector.
rockyMountainPowerplayUsbCable-forFirmwareUpdate.png

User manual says to use the ebikemotion app for setting changes and firmware updates but it wasn't doing what I needed it to do so i just ended up buying MTT instead.

mRw8

Jan 10, 2022
Switzerland
I collected the same info about this cable and found also one another (part number 1906003730 ) called POWERPLAY CABLE ‐ USB TO DRIVE (FIRMWARE ADAPTER).
Regarding MTT, is it open to any ebike or is this model specific to Powerplay bikes ?

S.

USB_Firmware_Cable_2.png

thbo

Jun 30, 2020
Norway
i did some research several months back and never figured out the software since none of the local Rocky Mountain bike shops near me carry Powerplays and aren't equipped to handle e-bikes.

I did find that you need a special usb cable called "Powerplay cable" (part number 1906003740) that plugs into the speed sensor connector.
View attachment 80114

User manual says to use the ebikemotion app for setting changes and firmware updates but it wasn't doing what I needed it to do so i just ended up buying MTT instead.

The ebikemotion app (from Mahle’s Ebikemotion subsidiary) is for the pre-2022 Powerplays, isn’t it? RM used a third party control system from Mahle but the new one in the 2022 Powerplays is supposed to be developed in-house (which may be why RM’s own app and OTA updates are delayed (the new top tube display is capable of wireless OTA updates)).

Not only that but Mahle has actually discontinued the Ebikemotion app and the Ebikemotion brand. Pre-2022 Powerplays have to use the Mahle MySmartBike app now. Which can’t be worse because the Ebikemotion app was horrible.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2020
California
@thbo I haven't kept up with the news on the upcoming Powerplays but, yes, the ebikemotion app is horrible and didn't like it. However, it did connect via bluetooth to my 2000 Instinct Powerplay BC. Also, I have no idea about the EOL (end-of-life) on the app or if it's compatible with the upcoming Powerplays.

@mRw8 to answer your question, the MTT (Mountain Tuning Tool) is specifically made for Rocky Mountain Powerplays. I provided the link in my previous post if you want to read more about it.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles