2022 Rocky Mountain Altitude Powerplay // Turbo Levo Gen 3

Baileyjd

Aug 23, 2018
Midlands.
Hey

Has anyone ridden both the 2022 Rocky Mountain Altitude Poweplay and the Levo Gen 3.

Interested in how the two motors compare.

Cheers

Pedal Strike

Apr 20, 2020
At the trail
Gen 2 and gen 3 levos have same motor, besides that the charging port is in a different location.

With Levo you can get away with lower candence. Less effort required from the human operating the bicycle.

If you want to spin your legs get a rocky mountain. 80-100 candence is the sweet sport.

I really like the rockys system. Easy to service and good ground clearence.

Spesh system is also great. I had problems with the motors but spesh warranty was superb.

oettam20

Mar 3, 2021
Lugano
About this comparison… is the Levo Gen 3 in the slacker setting, as capable and fast, on proper Enduro DH trails, as the Altitude Powerplay 2022? From the results of eEWS the answer seems Yes. But what about “real life“ experience?

A06

Mar 9, 2023
Corona, CA
First off these are the two best motor options available hands down! I previously owned eMtb's with Shimano and Bosch motors and theres no comparison. Something to be said for a manufacturer to commit to designing a motor rather than designing a bike around a motor.

I just went on a ride yesterday after work with my buddy who just picked up a '22 levo and I on my '22 Altitude. I disagree with the assessment that the RM require more leg work. Back to back we logged 15 miles yesterday and did the entire uphill climb in full power mode on both bikes to gauge batter use for an upcoming ride. We were in unanimous agreement my RM required less effort in Ludacris mode (level 4) vs his Levo in Boost (level 3). We ended up both using the same amount of battery (35% used starting at full charge). My battery is slightly more but I also had another boost level with 4 setting vs 3.

Cant go wrong with either and I was very very close to getting a Kenevo myself but I already have a Slayer and 100% of my upgraded parts were cross compatible vs getting the specialized dumping another thousand in upgrades. To be clear there's nothing wrong with the stock component spec of the Specialized but we all replace droppers, stems, bars etc. eventually.

cabbynate

Sep 30, 2019
Las Vegas NV
First off these are the two best motor options available hands down! I previously owned eMtb's with Shimano and Bosch motors and theres no comparison. Something to be said for a manufacturer to commit to designing a motor rather than designing a bike around a motor.

I just went on a ride yesterday after work with my buddy who just picked up a '22 levo and I on my '22 Altitude. I disagree with the assessment that the RM require more leg work. Back to back we logged 15 miles yesterday and did the entire uphill climb in full power mode on both bikes to gauge batter use for an upcoming ride. We were in unanimous agreement my RM required less effort in Ludacris mode (level 4) vs his Levo in Boost (level 3). We ended up both using the same amount of battery (35% used starting at full charge). My battery is slightly more but I also had another boost level with 4 setting vs 3.

Cant go wrong with either and I was very very close to getting a Kenevo myself but I already have a Slayer and 100% of my upgraded parts were cross compatible vs getting the specialized dumping another thousand in upgrades. To be clear there's nothing wrong with the stock component spec of the Specialized but we all replace droppers, stems, bars etc. eventually.
I think some people don't know about the 2 custom settings you can make and the boost settings on th RM. The factory settings had me spinning like crazy to keep up with my girlfriend on a Marin Alpine trail E1. After I did a little research and found out how to program the custom profiles it was a total game changer. +1 Boost makes all the difference. +2 is insane!

Robstyle

Nov 17, 2021
New Zealand
Have ridden both plenty. Owned a '22 Rocky.
The brose is much easier to get full assistance from.
The dyname has more power, but you've really really gotta work for it. High cadence and smooth pedal inputs are key.
I prefer the overrun other motors exhibit for technical climbing also.
The brose also exhibits less drag outside of assistance/motor off.
It has a very smooth natural power curve whereas the dyname is very much a exact amplification of how much your legs are working.
A dyname will eventually overheat on fullnoise after 20min or so a brose would not.

I wouldn't buy a brose outside of warranty, but I would a dyname.
Both bikes are awesome, the rocky needs 160 cranks though, pedal strike party!

mrhaboobi

Sep 17, 2023
New Zealand
Sorry for bumping an old topic but I’m currently exploring the altitude a70/c70 vs the specialized levo ohlins. Keen on people’s thoughts. Would love a fun bike. Not a battleship . Not a huge technical rider. Prefer flow and jumps. Also 105kg ( 230 ish lbs ). Any thoughts? Does the Rocky really overheat?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles