2022 Reign E3 - Shorter Crank Arms

yomoe

Jun 9, 2020
So Cal
Has anyone swapped out their 165mm crank arms to shorter ones? If so, what size did you go with...160mm? Any noticeable difference with either on pedal strikes or pedaling differences? Also, what brand...Are they Shimano arms or some other type/brand?

Thanks,
Will

Last edited:

trailaddict

Jul 7, 2021
Alps
160mm Praxis or e*thirteen e*spec Plus Bosch CX Gen4, both work well for me.
A big difference in pedal strike clearance:
The difference in pedaling is negligible and you will get used to it very quickly.

yomoe

Jun 9, 2020
So Cal
160mm Praxis or e*thirteen e*spec Plus Bosch CX Gen4, both work well for me.
A big difference in pedal strike clearance:
The difference in pedaling is negligible and you will get used to it very quickly
Thank you for the info!

trailaddict

Jul 7, 2021
Alps
Lenght depends on frame size, but yes, it should bei either 160 or 165mm.

But because the ongoing supply chain issues some bikes may be shipped factory with a different lenght.
This is a statement I've translated from the German website:

"General product information: Prices and colors are subject to change without notice. Notes on deviating bike specifications: Due to the current problems caused by the Corona virus in the supply chains of all suppliers, the bike, contrary to the specification communicated here, may be delivered with different components."

Chris ledger

Aug 17, 2021
Rotherham
I was going to ask the same question but thinking of going even shorter like 155 pedal strikes on standard cranks in the high position are very common

Jurassic

Subscriber
Jul 22, 2022
Helensburgh, Scotland.
I've just fitted a pair of the Miranda 155 cranks to my Reign E+1. They're linked on UK Amazon on the other shorter cranks thread Miranda 150mm Cranks for my 2022 Reign.. They are pretty cheap (£40ish although they don't come with crank bolts and the Praxis ones don't fit). My plan was to try them and if I liked the change I'd maybe buy some Hope cranks in the same length. I had my first ride on the bike with them fitted today and I can't say anything bad about them. The difference in confidence that you feel knowing that you have the extra clearance is really valuable and the difference in feeling while pedaling is only noticeable for the first ten minutes or so. Thoroughly recommended. I should maybe mention that getting the OEM Praxis drive side crank off was a bit tricky, I had to resort to a long breaker bar, wedging the non drive side pedal on top of my tool box and sitting on the back wheel to shift it and it went with a real crack. The non drive side was much easier.

Jurassic

Subscriber
Jul 22, 2022
Helensburgh, Scotland.
Just another quick update on the 155 crank mod. After having got a good few rides on the cranks I have to say if you're thinking about doing this mod, just do it. I've only noticed positive things and no real downsides and it makes me wonder why manufacturers don't just spec them from new.

Wesley

May 14, 2023
Australia
I broke my crank in half and the other one is cracked so I'm running new 160mm cranks, this seems to be better for clearance, however I would also check your sag on your rear shock, my Reign Fox float x2 will lose air and this is when i start to get crank strikes.

Jurassic

Subscriber
Jul 22, 2022
Helensburgh, Scotland.
Do i need new bolts for the cranks (reign e+0 2022)? i like to swap to the miranda cranks
Do i need these ?
The Miranda crank bolts weren't available when I bought my 155mm Miranda cranks so I just bought generic bolts that did the job. Mine weren't self extracting bolts like the ones in the Amazon link so those might be a good option. The Praxxis bolts from the OEM cranks don't fit the Miranda cranks so you do definitely need new bolts though.

Jurassic

Subscriber
Jul 22, 2022
Helensburgh, Scotland.

boarder87

Oct 4, 2022
Germany
My Reign E+2 with frame size M already came with 160mm cranks. It is worth to try Miranda Delta 0 155mm Q16…?
Still ride in Low Position and even with just 25% Sag I need to be really careful, not to have pedal strikes to often.

trailaddict

Jul 7, 2021
Alps
Don't waste your money and invest in your riding skills instead 😉
Joking aside - for the sake of the planet wait until you have bent your actual cranks until you replace them. I'm riding technical uphill all the time and 160mm with low setting and it is fine if you know how to tackle the terrain.

Uphillflow.jpeg

Tepi

Nov 18, 2018
Finland
Onko kukaan vaihtanut 165mm kampivarsiaan lyhyempiin? Jos, niin minkä koon valitsit...160mm? Onko huomattavia eroja polkimien tai polkimien välillä? Lisäksi mitä merkkiä...Ovatko ne Shimanon aseita vai jotain muuta tyyppiä/merkkiä?

Kiitos,
Tahtoa
Cube Bosch gen 2 moottorilla. Alkuperäinen 170mm vaihto 155mm Mirandaan.Moottorin asetukset päivitetty huollossa vastaamaan lyhyttä kampea.

boarder87

Oct 4, 2022
Germany
Don't waste your money and invest in your riding skills instead 😉
Joking aside - for the sake of the planet wait until you have bent your actual cranks until you replace them. I'm riding technical uphill all the time and 160mm with low setting and it is fine if you know how to tackle the terrain.
I hope I will not bend the actual cranks with <80kg. Same here, just having problems on technical uphills especially with big roots. Compared to my previous Enduro bike, the cranks are not really lower to the ground on the reign, but the bike is much longer and almost double the weight. So the real problem is that it's much harder to relieve or lift the wheels over obstacles, instead of just banging on it.
What's your Sag (stand/sit)?

Last edited:

Rando_12345

Nov 16, 2022
France
My Reign E+2 with frame size M already came with 160mm cranks. It is worth to try Miranda Delta 0 155mm Q16…?
Still ride in Low Position and even with just 25% Sag I need to be really careful, not to have pedal strikes to often.
Not sure it is worth it for 5mm crank difference, I went down to 150mm. You will not "feel" a dramatic difference between 160mm->150mm, but pedal strikes should be a lot less. Definitely ride in HIGH mode, if you are worried about the rest of the geo just download an angle measure app, if your bb is very low you probably have 62.X headangle, so even in high you will be in a very aggressive 63.X head angle.

Rando_12345

Nov 16, 2022
France
Well, my Miranda 150mm cranks lasted less than a month of riding. Did a relatively small jump at lunch, landing in the usual spot, bike fully compressed and left pedal hit a low rock bending the cranks inwards. I have hit this jump/trail iver a hundred times on my other bikes.

Pretty pissed off, I'm riding 2.8 tyres, low sag, 180mm fork, 150mm cranks and the bike is still too low to handle a F*&%^ing lunch ride. Hoping it was just bad luck, I bent another set of cranks in January on my old bike under different conditions, hopefully I've had my run of bad luck for the year. I havn't actually been hitting the pedals that much recently to be honest.

trailaddict

Jul 7, 2021
Alps
bike fully compressed and left pedal hit a low rock
Well, that sounds as you have not landed with the cranks even to the ground but one pointing downwards....
If so, I'd say its either a lack of skills or just bad luck? But anyway, neither the Bike nor the crank looks like the culprit to me

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles