2022 Reign E+ shock dimensions confirmation

big_scot_nanny

Subscriber
Nov 23, 2022
Scotland
Hi Folks,

I am going to go coil on my Reign, but I just want to make absolutely sure I've got the right specifications.

205x62.5 Trunion - right?

That's what the Giant website says.

Reason I ask is that the shaft on my X2 shock is nothing like 62.5, it's about 75mm. Which confuses the hell out of me. I never use all of that, in fact funnily enough the o-ring sits at 62mm ish after a hard ride.

Still, before I click - please confirm 205x62.5 to stop me going insane!

Oh, and any comments on a Bomber CR shock? I used to have a Roco WC on an old Nukeproof mega back in the day, and it was absolutely lush.

big_scot_nanny

Subscriber
Nov 23, 2022
Scotland
Cheers for the question - actually, not yet.

My X2 shock was cavitating very loudly for the first few squishes, and I assumed the noise was not an indicator of reduced performance. WRONG.

X2 replaced under warranty and I have actual damping that works and it now needs less air for the same support.

I may still go coil in the future, but with the new X2 I am happier.

Rando_12345

Nov 16, 2022
France
So I am quite close to pulling the trigger on a custom length shock, I did a whole load of maths in a spreadsheet and had identified exactly what I wanted to raise the rear end a touch and get more travel. However, I just unfastened the shock to see how much room I have to play with, and it seems like barely any! The rocker seems to make contact with the seattube way earlier than I expected.

Has anyone played around with offset bushings or custom eye-eye shocks on their Giant Reign's? The default shock is 205x62.5, I was tempted to go 210x65, there is no way that will fit. I'm scared even 207x62.5 might be on the limit of the rocker extension!

I was going to open a new thread, but this one's topic is too close!

goroncy

May 1, 2020
Munich
So I am quite close to pulling the trigger on a custom length shock, I did a whole load of maths in a spreadsheet and had identified exactly what I wanted to raise the rear end a touch and get more travel. However, I just unfastened the shock to see how much room I have to play with, and it seems like barely any! The rocker seems to make contact with the seattube way earlier than I expected.

Has anyone played around with offset bushings or custom eye-eye shocks on their Giant Reign's? The default shock is 205x62.5, I was tempted to go 210x65, there is no way that will fit. I'm scared even 207x62.5 might be on the limit of the rocker extension!

I was going to open a new thread, but this one's topic is too close!
Hi. Any news here? I also am thinking about putting slightly longer shock.

Rando_12345

Nov 16, 2022
France
Hi. Any news here? I also am thinking about putting slightly longer shock.
Personally, I just bought a standard 205*62.5, I will say even with a heavier than ideal spring I am beating all my times up and down segments with a coil shock, no pedal strikes (due to heavy spring).

I really wish we could do custom shocks or even custom rocker, but that doesn't seem feasible, at least on my bike.

goroncy

May 1, 2020
Munich
Personally, I just bought a standard 205*62.5, I will say even with a heavier than ideal spring I am beating all my times up and down segments with a coil shock, no pedal strikes (due to heavy spring).

I really wish we could do custom shocks or even custom rocker, but that doesn't seem feasible, at least on my bike.
That makes a lot of sense. Usually suggested SAG for metal spring is much less so less pedal strikes and higher ride. What's your weight with gear? Mine is around 84kg. I never used a coil spring in this bike and I don't know what should I buy if I go metal. I ride sag between 28-30% and a lot of tokens. I tried some calculator and it said that 500 spring would be good.

Rando_12345

Nov 16, 2022
France
I'm on 500lbs spring at 76kg, but going to swap to a 475 this week and try to lose a few kg (I'm usually closer to 72kg weight). There is a giant reign coil weight thread if you search, most people were 80kg and had 500lbs.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles