2022 Regin E-0 overheating and no solution in Giant’s sight 😱

Rickster

Subscriber
Feb 19, 2022
Ok BC Canada
This bike has been unbelievable and I loved it until…
It started to shut down just for a split second on climb’s then it progressed to a flashing red light at the top and a limp mode instigated. Turning bike off for a second and back on reset everything and I am good to go for about 10 minutes, then same problem. This is happening on every ride now and currently Giant has no solution to what they are saying is an overheating motor problem. Does the new Yamaha x-3 motor have an inherent problem ?
Have a look at this thread; 2022 Trance X Advanced E+ 2 randomly shuts off? - EMTB Forums

Now my amazing ride is unreliable and no longer rideable sitting in the corner waiting….

Redlemon

Oct 30, 2021
Canada
When you say Giant have no solution, did they try to repair it ?

Did not see any issue like this from the owners I've met and my bike is now 1200km without a single issue.

Rickster

Subscriber
Feb 19, 2022
Ok BC Canada
When you say Giant have no solution, did they try to repair it ?

Did not see any issue like this from the owners I've met and my bike is now 1200km without a single issue.
Well it appears I am not the only one with this exact same issue
Unfortunately Giant currently doesn’t know what to try. Since a new battery and new motor still doesn’t solve the problem they have run out of ideas. So I wait……
see here as well;2022 Trance X Advanced E+ 2 randomly shuts off? - EMTB Forums

Rickster

Subscriber
Feb 19, 2022
Ok BC Canada
Update on my ride, Giant replaced the motor including the “new update “ to solve definite overheating problems. No luck, it’s actually worse than the original motor… 😱

Rickster

Subscriber
Feb 19, 2022
Ok BC Canada
How was 'overheating' diagnosed? And what do you mean by the new motor being worse?
Apparently If the top light is flashing red it means an overheating issue. I have also reached down to touch the motor when this happens and I burnt my finger it was so hot ! Waiting on the trail for 5 minutes with it off enables me to reset the system for another 5 or so minutes before it happens again and again and again….
Riding the exact same route with the new motor overheated 15 minutes into climb, old motor would take at least 20 or so. I have since put over 150kms on new motor with no improvement…

UpcountryRider

Aug 20, 2022
Colorado
Just reported a similar problem on my 2022 Trance X E+ (the string about GIANT 2022 Trance shutting down). My bike was bought over summer. Has very few miles on it. And riding it up a relatively steep gravel grade it crapped out and shut down. Check out my other posting about this. NOW I've also had the problem of it downshifting the power while riding up hill on pavement. It just inexplicably started powering itself down from 3 to 2 .. while I was riding the steep paved road. But when I kept clicking it back up -- leaving AUTO MODE -- that seemed to resolve the problem. Since I've seen it happen just about every ride that the bike will change its own power settings. NOW, I've been told that's the AUTO MODE just doing what it does. I'm not so sure that's the case. How do we all triangulate these various threads relating to the 2022 Giant eMTBs?

UpcountryRider

Aug 20, 2022
Colorado
So what I've been told is that a software patch is coming out to address the "overheating threshold" issue. Have not yet seen that patch. And we have to question if you raise some threshold in the software -- so it wont' shut off -- then are the components of the bike motor / battery going to age prematurely due to extraordinary high heat build up.

Rickster

Subscriber
Feb 19, 2022
Ok BC Canada
So what I've been told is that a software patch is coming out to address the "overheating threshold" issue. Have not yet seen that patch. And we have to question if you raise some threshold in the software -- so it wont' shut off -- then are the components of the bike motor / battery going to age prematurely due to extraordinary high heat build up.
Already done the “patch” and new motor… no better if not worse. 😳

Rickster

Subscriber
Feb 19, 2022
Ok BC Canada
Not to worry the “patch “ doesn’t work anyway. I can’t imagine allowing the motor and electronics to get cooked any further than they already are. Currently the motor gets so hot when I stop riding , it starts to crackle n pop like headers on a V8 as it cools. Where to from here , seems Giant doesn’t have a clue ?

Rickster

Subscriber
Feb 19, 2022
Ok BC Canada
giant use the yamaha motors but make there own controllers batts and displays so if the controller is getting that hot then they have screwed it up hardware wise and why a software fix wont work imo.

cant you just get ur money back and get something else ?
Your absolutely right about Giant using the new Yamaha X-3 motors. From what I can see Giant has enclosed the motor in so much plastic that the air flow is greatly impeded resulting in the overheating situation perhaps. I don’t really know nor is it up to me to figure out. So far Giant isn’t going the refund route though I did suggest that may be the route to go. Face it we’re all Guinea pigs in this game.

Rickster

Subscriber
Feb 19, 2022
Ok BC Canada
Thats interesting. Do you leave it in a high gear & increase the power of the motor to get you up hills?
I have already been asked that, simply stated, if you can ride up dry creek beds way in the mountains riding that way, let me know how you did it… In this part of the Country you are either going up or down. That’s usually steep and always rocky as crap. So the short answer to your question is good luck with that technique ! I understand what lugging is and what it does, initially a lot of heat. It’s a crappy way to ride unless it’s in a golf cart. 😎

Rickster

Subscriber
Feb 19, 2022
Ok BC Canada
I didn't really understand your answer sorry. In what way did the giant rep mean that it was your way of riding?
Since the only way the rep could get the bike to fault was lugging it uphill on ash fault, he concluded that must be the way I ride. Personally I could never get it to overheat on pavement. Couldn’t be further from the truth. Seriously who H would ride around lugging their bikes ? Yea Ha !! Fun ? NOT ! I’m done with Giant period.

Last edited:

Rickster

Subscriber
Feb 19, 2022
Ok BC Canada
Well it looks like I may now be heading into a legal battle with these idiots. Apparently the bike is working perfectly as designed, the problem is 100% wrong with my riding style 😱
I really cannot believe it…

UpcountryRider

Aug 20, 2022
Colorado
So I've experimented with friends riding Specialized eMTBs. We ride together and ride the same terrain, at the same power setting. My bike engine shuts down. Theirs does not. Need we say more -- it is NOT riding style that matters here.

Rickster

Subscriber
Feb 19, 2022
Ok BC Canada
Let's face it -- seems that all 2022 purchases are part of a worldwide beta test. dont know about you .. but I didn't agree to that.
There’s no question, riding style has nothing to do with it unless your sliding onto your MT ebike straight out of a wheel chair, but even then. I have completely lost faith in Giant and the modifications they preform on the Yamaha x-3. motor. The bike is being returned and I’m not looking back. No Giant products for me ever again, thank you. 😎

funnel

May 15, 2020
World
Yeah. The overheated shutdown happend to me too a few times in August when outside temps where +30-35C. It happend mostly only on assist 5 on climbs. I switched it to 4 and it seemed to work fine after that. Also I never noticed that when using my external custom battery. Can't confirm 100% but it could have been a battery overheat issue, not a motor one.

Currently the outside temps are in the 25Cs a shutdown hasn't occured yet.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles