2022 EnergyPak 625 Charging Issue.

pwiles1968

May 22, 2022
Leicestershire
I have an issue where my bike will not charge to 100% its a 20222 Reign with the 625 battery I have the 6A charger and it will charge to 60% if i press that mode.

BUT If I want to charge to 100% while on the bike it will not get there just sort of stops drawing power, I have it on a energy monitor plug so can see what is being drawn, If I unplug the charger then plug it back in it will continue to charge and after 1 or 2 times doing this it will hit 100% and the green light comes on.

If I charge battery off the Bike it will go to 100% first go.

Its under warranty and bike shop is looking but wondered if anyone had seen a similar issue and if so what the cause was to help narrow down the problem.

Rubinstein

Apr 7, 2022
kent
I have an issue where my bike will not charge to 100% its a 20222 Reign with the 625 battery I have the 6A charger and it will charge to 60% if i press that mode.

BUT If I want to charge to 100% while on the bike it will not get there just sort of stops drawing power, I have it on a energy monitor plug so can see what is being drawn, If I unplug the charger then plug it back in it will continue to charge and after 1 or 2 times doing this it will hit 100% and the green light comes on.

Its under warranty and bike shop is looking but wondered if anyone had seen a similar issue and if so what the cause was to help narrow down the problem.

Not an uncommon issue. Sometimes new batteries don’t go to 100% on the bike, but will off. After around 10 charges will go to 100%. Sometimes incorrect app data/charger issues give false data. Had the same issue on my 21 trance when it was new, settled down after a while, now have the same problem after upgrading to a new 800wh battery. Only done 3 chargers so far so I’m expecting it to be ok after 10ish. Had my charger port and loom replaced, made no difference.

pwiles1968

May 22, 2022
Leicestershire
Not an uncommon issue. Sometimes new batteries don’t go to 100% on the bike, but will off. After around 10 charges will go to 100%. Sometimes incorrect app data/charger issues give false data. Had the same issue on my 21 trance when it was new, settled down after a while, now have the same problem after upgrading to a new 800wh battery. Only done 3 chargers so far so I’m expecting it to be ok after 10ish. Had my charger port and loom replaced, made no difference.
Thank you, the shop was talking about a loom, first step will be try their charger when my bike is below 60% see what happens, It has been perfect for 9 months of charging etc only recently started doing iy, not end of world but its not right that is for sure, shop is local and really helpful so see how it goes was hoping to get some pointers as Giant UK apparently had not seen anything similar.

Rubinstein

Apr 7, 2022
kent
Thank you, the shop was talking about a loom, first step will be try their charger when my bike is below 60% see what happens, It has been perfect for 9 months of charging etc only recently started doing iy, not end of world but its not right that is for sure, shop is local and really helpful so see how it goes was hoping to get some pointers as Giant UK apparently had not seen anything similar.
Standard response from Giant uk, although there warranty is excellent, refunded me a 6k bike last year with a “unfamiliar issue “. As you say, not a biggie, just not as it should be. Annoying when it’s left overnight and say 86% in the morning 😩

Goughy75

Sep 22, 2019
UK
I had this issue and my bike shop diagnosed it as a faulty charger.
Giant replaced it under warranty and it has solved the problem

James Moffitt

Jul 12, 2022
Newcastle, Australia
I had a similar issue where charging the battery on the bike would get stuck. I was troubleshooting this with the bike shop, and I made them a video capturing the evidence of this. You can watch this here:
As an example I charged it for 7.5 hours and it charged from 48% to like 67%.
I also found that removing the battery from the bike and charging it directly didn't have the same issue - it seemed to charge properly like that.
Bike shop also replaced a small loom in the bike, but that didn't fix the issue.
Like @Goughy75 the fix was a replacement charger, which appears to have fixed the issue (i've only charged the bike 1 or two times since, but it charged in the right amount of time, and the light went solid at the end).

pwiles1968

May 22, 2022
Leicestershire
I had a similar issue where charging the battery on the bike would get stuck. I was troubleshooting this with the bike shop, and I made them a video capturing the evidence of this. You can watch this here:
As an example I charged it for 7.5 hours and it charged from 48% to like 67%.
I also found that removing the battery from the bike and charging it directly didn't have the same issue - it seemed to charge properly like that.
Bike shop also replaced a small loom in the bike, but that didn't fix the issue.
Like @Goughy75 the fix was a replacement charger, which appears to have fixed the issue (i've only charged the bike 1 or two times since, but it charged in the right amount of time, and the light went solid at the end).
My bike shop changed the loom including the external port ans the Battery connector inside the frame and i had also updated the software that was recently released and it seems to have fixed the issue - Tip I plugged my charger in to a power monitor plug, you can see that although light is flashing it is only taking 2Watts which is basically just the charger internal loss, I have since bought a Wi-Fi remote mains plug with power meter built in so i can remotely monitor the draw from the charger and can remotely switch charging On/Off.

pwiles1968

May 22, 2022
Leicestershire
Just as a Follow up Since teh Loom Change I had the issue start to happen again funnily enough after a software update, then it went away again following an additional update a few weeks later, since then i have not updated the software on my bike and it has been fine.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles