Levo Gen 3 2022 Comp Carbon Alloy vs 2023 Levo Carbon

Andrew

Mar 25, 2022
UK
The new 2023 Levo Carbon is online for £6250:

The 2022 Comp Alloy is available also for £6250:

Does anyone know which is the better bike?
The new 2023 Carbon Levo with TCU2, carbon fibre frame etc or the older alloy model with only TCU1, alloy frame etc?

Any advice on which I should buy? .

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
The alloy version has better suspension, and a better groupset (mostly) on it.

Personally I would get the alloy as the overall package is better bang for your buck, with the carbon you are basically getting a carbon frame with the most basic components.

Andrew

Mar 25, 2022
UK
The alloy version has better suspension, and a better groupset (mostly) on it.

Personally I would get the alloy as the overall package is better bang for your buck, with the carbon you are basically getting a carbon frame with the most basic components.
Thanks, I’ll head to the store this afternoon and take one out. I’m concerned about the 15mph limiter as I have a 2018 model without the restriction, how you find the restrictor on the roads and how easy is it to overcome?

Andrew

Mar 25, 2022
UK
how does the 2022 Comp Alloy compare to the 2018 Expert Carbon?

I have a 2018 Expert Carbon:

Does anyone know how the 2022 Comp Alloy compares to this bike?

Any parts onmy current bike that I could strip off to put on the new one or are they actually relativity comparable?

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
The newer Levo's are night and day better bikes than the original version you have, better geometry, handling, more powerful and reliable motor, and of course much bigger battery.

However how noticeable all of that is depends on how you use the bike - if you are just doing general riding around and xc then main noticeable difference would be the motor and battery, if you are doing proper trail riding you will really notice the difference in handling and perfomace

Andrew

Mar 25, 2022
UK
Cool, that’s good to know. I’ve not ridden a new 2022 bike.

I do around 60% XC and 40% Downhill (glentress)
The carbon levo expert is absolutely fantastic in those scenarios.
The motor provides bursts of up to 800w of power when needed, and pushes me up everything.
It’s also unrestricted via BLEvo giving me up to 40mph on flat trials/roads easily.
The bike is an absolute monster and a pleasure to ride in those scenarios especially the upgraded EVO Ohlins front suspension, that thing is like riding on a cloud.

The 2018 Expert Carbon feels like a hoonagan of a machine, my concern is that the new bike may feel a little less insane and a little more sensible and possibly less fun.

Do you think it would be beneficial to take off any of the parts from my expert levo and put on the comp alloy or are they relatively comparable parts when compared?

How do the parts of the comp alloy compare to the older expert carbon, relatively.

Such as the the onlins forks, brakes, suspension, cassette, derailleur, carbon fibre wheels etc?

Last edited:

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
people are probably bored of me saying it but I've had the carbon and alloy Levo's and found the carbon to be harsh.
I much prefer the alloy.
the 2022 model you listed there is a good bike with decent spec that will last you and its capable out of the box, it does not have the mastermind TCU
the carbon is low spec and if you want to rag it youll almost certainly find the suspension lacking, it does have the mastermind TCU though.
so if you wanna spend on new suspension at some point and you do want the mastermind, the carbon is a good option.
the alloy is a bike that you dont need to do anything to but enjoy.
both bikes have terrible wheelsets so expect to replace at least the rear wheel with something more durable fairly soon.

personally, I would have the alloy

IronScott

Oct 19, 2021
NW Arkansas
That new entry level carbon has the old TCU plus only 500wh battery. Agree totally on the wheels. All the aluminum Rovals are terrible if you ride rough terrain. They are super soft. I’ve dented them bad enough to unseat the tires twice before finally adding CushCore.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles