• Warning!!

Riding a tuned or deristricted EMTB is not a trivial offence and can have serious legal consequences. Also, many manufacturers can detect the use of a tuning device or deristricting method and may decline a repair under warranty if it was modified from the intended original specification. Deristricting EMTB's can also add increased loads for motors and batteries. Riding above the local law limit may reclassify the bike as a low-powered bike, requiring insurance, registration and a number plate.

Be aware of your local country laws. Many laws prohibit use of modified EMTB's. It is your responsibility to check local laws. Ignoring it, has potential implications to trail access, and risk of prosecution in the event of an accident.

UK Pedelec Law

Worldwide Laws

We advise members great caution. EMTB Forums accepts no liability for any content or advice given here. 

2022 2023 Bosch software block out on speedbox ?

chris edwards

Nov 24, 2018
Lowestoft
My new Bosch powered Ebike is due to arrive next week and I am keen to fit a speedbox to derestrict the speed limiter. On conversation with a dealer I was informed the latest software would detect a problem and force limp mode.

The way to unlock would then be take it into a dealer to clear the code. However whilst performing this the data about the bike would be sent to Bosch and the warranty invalidated if ran with the derestriction device.

I personally find an Ebike that runs up to 15mph and then shuts off takes away too much enjoyment.

Can I ask the community if other riders have experienced this and if so are you risking running without warranty ?

Any other thoughts around this greatly appreciated.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
if the new bike is with the Bosch Smart System I would guess it can recognise any deristriction device

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Yes it is Mikerb , looks like there isn’t anything available to get around it then . Thank you for confirming
the point being that even if one of the deristrictor products finds a way a round the Bosch Smart detection system you can be pretty sure firmware/software updates will close the loophole, since all brands have committed to ensure pedelecs remain legal, because it is in their commercial interests to avoid regulatory change, which would adversely impact on sales.

GBikeBoy

Jul 4, 2023
New York
Hi All. Thought I’d share my experiences here. I have a Cube Reaction EXC 2022. I did the low-tech speed fix and put the magnet on the pedal arm. This worked fine for a while until I hit a large pothole and I think the sensor moved. I got an 524001 error (same as the old 504). I put it all back to normal, rode for 90 mins and it cleared. That was strike 1.

I then got a Speedbox 1.0 fitted. I do long rides from Manhattan up to Piermont and after both long rides recently I got the same error again. Thus strikes 2 and 3. Although I left the bike on to do the count down every time, I think somehow the system just works out that I was doing an average of 40km/h and so it throws up the error.

So three strikes and I thought I was out. Well maybe there is hope! I took out the Speedbox and then set the bike up last night inside and cycled for 90 minutes. No joy. I then went out to Central Park today and cycled round and round for 90 minutes and it has just cleared.

Thus in summary :

1. It seems as though it is still possible to reset the system yourself with a limp home mode ride of 90 mins even after the third strike (although keeping my fingers crossed this is indeed the case!)

2. If you have a Speed box fitted and do long rides, be careful. I think trying to keep around 35-40km/h might be the best way to avoid the chip detection.

Hope this helps. If anyone has had similar experiences with a Speedbox 1.0 let me know. With credit to ebiketuner where I bought it, they have been very helpful.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles