Levo Gen 2 2021 Turbo Levo shifting/gear issues

aaronrryan

Feb 3, 2021
Brea, CA, USA
At 0:35-0:36 you can see the chain keep tension on the driven side even with just one tooth holding, while the following links failing to fall into the succeeding teeth. If things were assembled correctly, I'd say those cogs are worn.

That said, you did mention cassette and wheel changes, so I'd also check if the clocking of the loose 12T and 10T cogs are correct. It is entirely possible to get that wrong with the smaller "teeth" of the Microspline, and have the cogs slightly tilted relative to the rest of the cassette. Just taking the wheel off the bike and spinning the cassette on the freewheel while inspecting it edge-on will tell you.

Of course, this is all assuming the hanger is aligned, and the B-tension and H-L are all properly adjusted.

So it is worn after about 200 miles of riding with maybe 20% of those miles in 12t or 10t, so maybe 40 miles. That just seems very short life, but I suppose it can happen. Am I the only guy wearing it down that fast?

Yes, I am very aware of the microspline alignment possibilities on the 12t and 10t. It is easily misaligned, but I'm 100% sure it is correct. I did the visual spin test as you described to confirm.

Hanger is aligned and B-screw is properly set, as well and H-L.

Screen Shot 2021-02-05 at 12.47.57 PM.png Screen Shot 2021-02-05 at 12.50.17 PM.png

Last edited:

aaronrryan

Feb 3, 2021
Brea, CA, USA
Check to see if it is 120 links (linker included). That's the length of chain that comes stock.

Verified 120 links on current chain.

I also tried shortening the previous chain to 118 links (which is 4 extra links according to shimano diagram) to see if the added tension would help, and it did not.

DtEW

Dec 8, 2020
Bay Area, California
So it is worn after about 200 miles of riding with maybe 20% of those miles in 12t or 10t, so maybe 40 miles. That just seems very short life, but I suppose it can happen. Am I the only guy wearing it down that fast?

See if you can get your hands on Shimano part #Y1X498020. That's just the 10T & 12T cogs for a XTR CS-M9100 cassette, which will work with XT CS-M8100 and SLX CS-M7100 cassettes. It should be a fraction of the price of a full cassette. This is assuming the rest of the cassette isn't sufficiently worn to cause problems elsewhere (i.e. accelerate chain stretch). It might be more difficult to come-by these days, unfortunately.

If your usage is biased toward the smaller cogs, perhaps you should consider a bigger ring to shift your usage, assuming the resulting lowest-gearing won't be constraining.

Last edited:

aaronrryan

Feb 3, 2021
Brea, CA, USA
Just tried my neighbors rear wheel with SRAM XG-1275 GX Eagle 12-Speed Cassette and no slipping at all.
Looks like I'll be swapping wheels when I get a chance, just like the original poster.

I'll order some replacement 10t and 12t cogs for now if I can find any, seems to be sold out everywhere....(Shimano part #Y1X498020)

I already have a 36t chainring on order too, so I can stay away from 12t and 10t.

Last edited:

robzee

Jan 25, 2021
Florida
Just tried my neighbors rear wheel with SRAM XG-1275 GX Eagle 12-Speed Cassette and no slipping at all.
Looks like I'll be swapping wheels when I get a chance, just like the original poster.

I'll order some replacement 10t and 12t cogs for now if I can find any, seems to be sold out everywhere....(Shimano part #Y1X498020)

I already have a 36t chainring on order too, so I can stay away from 12t and 10t.

aaronrryan:

I had the exact same issue and changing to Sram groupset fixed it ALL!!... I understand all the fine tuning with b stop and hi lo and whatnot. I most of "pedal bike" these could be key adjustments but on a LEVO TURBO...not a chance. I bought my bike at my local shop and my friend bought the same model from another shop and uess what...same issue. What?...you want to tell me that 2 different shop mechanics don't know how to adjust a derailleur??

I put over a 100 miles on my new sram groupset and not once it happened. Hope this helps.

Ivan

Dec 29, 2018
Australia
For what its worth, I found my SLX chain cracked in many places on my 21 LEVO, after only just over 100km and being careful with my shifts. I found the b adjustment out. But even with a new chain, and B adjustment correct the shifting still feels meh.

kungdog

Feb 27, 2019
uk
On my bike with 11 speed XT, I had bad shifting. After adjusting B screw and straightening hanger with a tool, it still wasn't perfect. Fixed it by adjusting the amount of tension in the clutch, hasn't missed a beat since.

dixie600mhz

Oct 13, 2020
Austin, Texas
I'm going through the same chain slipping nightmare on a Trek Rail 9.8XT. 400 miles in and its skipping on 12th gear. What sucks about the Trek is that it is 34T front chainring max so no upsizing the chainring to avoid. I'm trying to just replace the two smallest cogs but can't find that part number in stock anywhere. Y1X498020

Paul Mac

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Subscriber
Jul 9, 2018
Uk
I'm going through the same chain slipping nightmare on a Trek Rail 9.8XT. 400 miles in and its skipping on 12th gear. What sucks about the Trek is that it is 34T front chainring max so no upsizing the chainring to avoid. I'm trying to just replace the two smallest cogs but can't find that part number in stock anywhere. Y1X498020
Have you put a new chain on?

dixie600mhz

Oct 13, 2020
Austin, Texas
Good question. I had a freak pedal strike at about 200 miles and did change the chain. The original front chainring was damaged and chain was twisted during hit. So cassette has 400 miles and chain has 200.

On the trek forums I posted pics of every component and feedback is that 12th sprocket looks significantly worn.

Can't believe rate of wear after only 400 miles if it is a wear issue.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles