Levo Gen 3 2021 Levo Comp or 2022 Levo Expert

bpark

Jun 14, 2021
Atlanta
Hey guys - new member and looking for some feedback between these bikes. LBS has both and trying to decide if it’s worth the extra 3,500 for the 2022 expert?

EMTBNewbie

Jun 14, 2021
California
I think if you are going to use the bike to it’s full potential and be happy with the upgraded components, do it. If you are going to upgrade parts off the back or your just looking for a capable bike to use recreationally, the comp will serve all the needs, save the money.

Prior to having my ebike, my regular all mountain bike *had to have* all the best components. From the suspension to the drivetrain, all top spec components. I then realized the majority of my riding wasn’t justifying the bike. I am not a fast downhill racer. I was using my bike mainly to ride casually with family and friends on trips and every now and then the bike was used for bike parks. My wife and I love taking the bikes to different trips, and exploring the new areas on bicycles, which really lets us see areas in a different way. That’s why we went to EMTB’s, now we can ride awesome trails in a new area and still have plenty of energy to ride around the town and surrounding areas we are new to, and if we find more fun trails during the journey, the bike can let us do it without the fear of getting in over our heads exploring a random trail. We’ve gone one short 3-5ish mile rides which ultimately end up being 20+ Miles that day. Our longest days being just shy of 50 miles! But the bikes give us that urge to explore and keep riding.

For our current e bikes, my wife and I went with base models and only upgraded the parts we wanted, which was the batteries, (got a 700wh and now have the 500wh as the spare). Funny part is, going from my regular bike with all the high end components to my bikes base components was almost unnoticable with the exception of the bike park rides. With all the money saved, we have used it for vacations that allow us to experience the bikes like i never would have thought of.

That’s my two cents, if you need the maximum performance, go for the upgraded model, if your looking for a capable bike that will still do every single trail the expert model will do but for a lot less, save the cash and take some vacations with it ??

DtEW

Dec 8, 2020
Bay Area, California
Hey guys - new member and looking for some feedback between these bikes. LBS has both and trying to decide if it’s worth the extra 3,500 for the 2022 expert?

I faced a similar decision in late 2020 between the MY21 Levo Expert vs. the MY21 Levo Comp with an available-to-me price differential of ~$2k.

I went with the Comp with the understanding that 1) a carbon fiber frame makes less of a difference on a bike of ~50lbs; 2) the Fox 36 Rhythm works better than its OEM-level status might suggest; and 3) Shimano SLX is much cheaper to maintain than SRAM Eagle GX, without giving-up much performance.

Your decision is somewhat different given not just MY22's equipment upgrades, but significant geometry changes. On an objective level, the right bike for you is one that matches your riding aggression, with the MY22 Expert on a higher notch than the MY21 Comp. But on the subjective level, the right bike for you is the one that makes you feel happy, whether that be in your fiscal well-being, or in your riding aspirations.

Four Flusher

Jun 24, 2019
Reno
If you can swing the extra cash, it's a no brainer, Expert all the way. Two big things for me, six sizes makes it possible to dial in the fit. And, the new Geo works ridiculously well. I'm tackling stuff that was too scary for me on both my Levo Comp and my Rocky Instinct powerplay.

Four Flusher

Jun 24, 2019
Reno
I keep asking by big time Levo dealer and they say there's going to be Carbon Comp ASAP. No news about new Alum Levos, my guess is they might be too heavy and expensive

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles