The Bike:
Screenshot 2022-04-03 083218.png

Manufacturer: Kogan
Model: Fortis
Model Year: 2021
Price Paid: AU$899
New/Used: Brand New
Score (out of 10): 5

Review: The Fortis from Kogan (AKA Dick Smith in AUS) is a cheap eBike at a very, very cheap price, but is does what I brought it for very, very well.

Kogan is the importer, not manufacturer.

Background - riding the old push mountain bike or the road bike was getting a bit much for my commute to the office. So I was thinking about entering the eBike World, but the prices scared me off. Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, $2500 plus for a bike to ride to and from work. Keeping my eye on a few websites, prices fluctuated, and when the $1499 (original RRP) Fortis hit $899, I hit the buy button.

I think I was ripped off though, a couple of weeks later the price was $799, or $779 if you were a Kogan member. Unfortunately, it appears that they are all sold out.

The bike - some basic specs:
  • Shimano 7-speed gears with 25km/h max speed
  • 250W Brushless motor with rechargeable 36V lithium battery
  • Ultra-light Phoenix alloy frame with height-adjustable seat
  • Adjustable front fork suspension with lockout feature
  • Front and rear mechanical disc brakes
  • HD LCD Display and bright LED headlight
  • Neco headset and pedals with pro-wheel crankset
  • Kenda tyres with Phoenix XLM double-wall alloy rims
Arrived in a box in a couple of days, easy assembly (ex-bike shop owner and expert bicycle mechanic here).

Teething problems - chain kept coming off when 1st gear selected. Problem was bottom bracket axle installed 180 degree wrong way. Easy 30 minute fix (with the correct tools and know how), flipped it 180 degrees, okay now.

Other problem (mentioned in my Forum intro), PAS max. speed in 22km/h (not 25km/h as advertised). Haven't been able to sort this out as yet, despite all of the YouTube videos re. adjusting setting on the S830 computer / controller.

Pros:
  • Cheap Cheap Cheap
  • Does what I want - better when I solve speed issue.
  • Good solid, functional eBike
Cons:
  • Bottom bracket - sorted
  • Speed issue - not sorted
  • Mass - 27kg
  • Brakes - just okay
Verdict - I'm happy with my purchase, a very good entry level eBike for the price, with limitations (listed), excellent value if you understand and prepared to fix the bottom bracket, and live with 22km/h PAS.

Now that I know that an eBike is part of my future, I'll sell the Fortis in around 12 months and purchase an expensive $2500 to $3000 eBike.

Happy to respond to questions.

Oh yeah, any ideas on the speed issue?

Tonybro

🦾 The Bionic Man 🦿
Subscriber
Jan 15, 2021
Lancashire
Speed issue is probably related to wrong tyre circumference setting. You will need to adjust it in the settings. I have to adjust most of my bikes by about 4% to get something approaching accurate speed/distance readings.

27Kg! Phew! That's 2KG more than my full-fat Merida eMTB and its built for the rough stuff. 8KG more than my Orbea! Not likely to be much of an issue for a commuter bike but still surprised me...

Williamson

Mar 19, 2022
St Helena, VIC
Speed issue is probably related to wrong tyre circumference setting. You will need to adjust it in the settings. I have to adjust most of my bikes by about 4% to get something approaching accurate speed/distance readings.

I've changed circumference settings from high to low, has not made any difference in adjusting the PAS speed, but did change the speed reading on the S830. True speed I've measured using a speedo app on my iPhone. I've checked the app against my Tom Tom and Navman GPS units, so I know it's accurate.

27Kg! Phew! That's 2KG more than my full-fat Merida eMTB and its built for the rough stuff. 8KG more than my Orbea! Not likely to be much of an issue for a commuter bike but still surprised me...

Yeah, a heavy beast. But what can I expect for the $$? And as you say, not an issue for my 14km commute.

I have a couple of decent hills on my way to or from, I can pedal up these at a steady 18 to 19km/h, better than the 10km/h on the pushie, and get to the office without the need for a shower.

Screenshot 2022-04-03 182458.png

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles