The Bike:
20201128_151600.jpg

Manufacturer: Voodoo
Model: Zobop E7000
Model Year: 2020
Price Paid: 2,400
New/Used: Used
Score (out of 10): 7

Review: I bought this Zobop E-Shimano, based on a couple of good online reviews, but got one second hand in a quite well used condition. I'll hit up the negatives first. First off, the standard brakes are stunningly underpowered for a bike of this weght, which is a real shame. The tyre choice, too, is not great, certainly for most UK riding anyway (comes with 2.8" Exo Rekons front and rear). The Rockshox Recon fork is okay, but spindly for a bike of this weight (~25kgs) and has a less than stellar damper. The handlebar, at 740mm, is probably short for some, though I found it okay at 5'6" on the size small. The Reach is short too, and the seat post angle is a bit shallow, and the shape and length of the seatpost really limit dropper options. I even went as far as trying to fit a One Up V2, the shortest stack dropper on the market, but even it would not sit low enough in the downtube, so I've been unable to improve on the stock 130mm of drop. All of that said, it's a bike you can definitely go trail riding on right out of the box, as long as you don't want to get too rowdy. It's definitely at the XC end of the Trail Bike spectrum.

Edit: having just opened up the rear hub, to investigate a grinding sound(!), I'm adding said hub to the list of negatives. It's not that the hub is bad, per se, but it just isn't up to carrying the weight and speed of this bike. For those who know, it's very similar to a particular type of Fulcrum road hub, the one that has just one bearing in the hub shell, non-drive side, and one in the far end of the freehub. The free hub is retained on the hub body by a hollow screw-in retaining bolt, from inside the hub. It's really clear that there has been some significant flex in this arrangement, at the hub/freehub interface, which has scored into the 12mm axle! A new wheel, with a 4 bearing arrangement, is on it's way...

However, the rear suspension is sublime, even as standard, with the Monarch shock, it is really progressive (I've not opened it, to see what spacers are being run). There's a nice, supple start to the stroke, then almost endless support and no harsh bottom out, with this bike feeling up there with Levos, Powerflys, etc. The Shimano motor and battery are solid, so far, and provide good support throughout the range. Tuning is limited in the E-Tube app though, and the app itself is not great. I'm looking forward to having a crack with STunlocker, to see how much better the support levels can be personalized. The stock saddle is super-comfy, providing great support for longer rides, as well as steep, tech climbs.

I have made several mods over the last couple of months. The first biggy was the fork, which I swapped out for a DebonAir Pike Charger 2 RCT3. This has made a massive difference to stiffness, tracking, grip, and support at the front. I also dropped the travel to 140mm but added a 29" front wheel. This gives a significant improvement in speed, from better rollover, and better grip from the 2.6" Minion DHR II. At the same time I fitted Guide RE brakes, with 200mm rotors front and rear. I fitted shorter cranks, Nukeproof Enduro pedals, ODI grips, and a 2.6" Minion DHR II rear tyre too. Both tyres are in the Exo+ carcass, with Maxx Terra compound. A GX single click shifter, 30t front ring, and Sunrace 11-50t cassette complete the mods. I also have a few ride essentials bolted on, such as the frame bag repair kit and the winter mudguards.

The upgrades I've made have seriously unlocked this bike's potential. It's still very much a trail bike, but now it sits quite comfortably between the centre ground and the Enduro end of the Trail bike spectrum! All day epics on Dartmoor are handled comfortably and confidently, but this bike will now happily head to the woods and takes 5' drops in it's stride. The only time it starts to feel overwhelmed is on the really steep stuff, where the geometry and lack of a longer dropper can make things uncomfortable for the pilot. With the fork, brakes, and 29" wheel coming 2nd hand, I now have a real trail weapon that has cost not much more than the RRP of the bike. Happy? Definitely!

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles