Levo Gen 2 2020 Turbo Levo Comp new fork - 150mm or 160mm travel ?

Grannyjones

May 25, 2020
England
The stock Rockshox Lyric 150mm fork has got the dreaded CSU Creak (I think) so I want to get rid of it.

I've been looking at Rockshox Lyric Select forks and wondering if I should get a 160mm as the replacement instead of another 150mm ? Plus, I've noticed the 160mm option is a bit cheaper on the website as well. Only by about 5% or so.

I know that the 160mm fork will make descending easier, something I often struggle with. The only issue is would this have a negative effect on the geometry for climbing, seeing as it was designed around a 150mm fork ?

I noticed the newer Levo's come equipped with a 160mm fork, but do they have different geometry to the 2020 Turbo Levo?

I do a lot of steep techy climbs that I can only barely manage as it is (and often fail), and don't want to make them harder.

Pyr0

E*POWAH Master
Sep 22, 2019
Wirral, UK
I swapped my 150mm fox forks for 160 when I upgraded. On steep techy bits, I do need to lean forward a bit to weight the front, but I had to do the same with the 150's too

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
160mm obviously provides a litle more suspension travel but I doubt you will notice any difference in terms of front to back balance of the bike....................but if you do, you can always move a stem spacer from below the stem to above the stem

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
are you sure its a CSU creak, have you checked and changed the headset bearings etc? the standard ones are shite and a good quality replacement is a must, I got about 6 months out of my OEM ones before the creaking got too much, a good set of bearings, a clean up and regrease and you're golden.
The 160mm upgrade is brilliant on the Levo, you'll wonder how you ever got by without it.
the 2020 levo comp comes with the Lyrik select+ and if you havent done it yet, the air spring upgrade is very worthwhile, you can fit a 160mm spring in there no problems. You will have to do a lower leg service when changing the air spring.

I have done this with mine as well as upgrade the damper to the charger 2.1 and its a really great fork.

Andy__C

Apr 11, 2020
South Wales
I moved from a pike 150mm on my '19 expert to a 160mm lyrik ultimate and its been a very worthwhile swap.

I don't usually find upgrades "life changing", but this has been a noticeable difference that I wish I had done years ago. (I usually only change stuff when I break the incumbent component).

@dobbyhasfriends - what headset bearings do you recommend? I'm about to replace only my 2nd headset bearings in 3.5 years.... the notchy creakiness has got too much. I've only ever fitted the standard bearings.

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
I moved from a pike 150mm on my '19 expert to a 160mm lyrik ultimate and its been a very worthwhile swap.

I don't usually find upgrades "life changing", but this has been a noticeable difference that I wish I had done years ago. (I usually only change stuff when I break the incumbent component).

@dobbyhasfriends - what headset bearings do you recommend? I'm about to replace only my 2nd headset bearings in 3.5 years.... the notchy creakiness has got too much. I've only ever fitted the standard bearings.
Totally agree on the difference, however I have now been spoiled by a good quality fork with a great damper, I couldn't go back to a basic one now.
nothing particularly special bearing-wise but they've lasted well and I have two Levo's to maintain so I keep buying them, I always have a couple of sets in my toolbox.
I got them from eBay: Bicycle Headset Bearings Angular Contact *** Please Choose Size *** | eBay
30.5x41.8x8 mm 45°x 45°
40x52x7 mm 45°x 45°

Grannyjones

May 25, 2020
England
Thanks for the replies I've gone for 160mm.
I couldn't decide between them and this has convinced me.
Not only is it 5% cheaper but by reading this it sounds like it's better as well.

As for the clicking - I'm quite decided that the fork is the cause, there is a video that describes how to do a CSU test (basically turning the bike upside down with the front wheel off and twisting the fork stantions, listening for clicking).

I have replaced the headset bearings multiple times.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles