2020 Canyon Spectral:ON Chainring Options

Trailblazer7

Oct 28, 2019
United States
I want to replace the 34T chainring on my 2020 Spectral ON:CF 7.0 with a 36T (wanting more top speed on flats, etc.). Any advice regarding compatible chainrings would be much appreciated. Thanks.

IMG_0944.jpg

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
There are a few options out there, I run a Funn steps specific chainring, thats a one piece design - to install it you have to to remove the crank and old spider. E13 also make a direct mount option.

Any chairing of the correct specification will work, EMTB specific ones tend to be steel or stronger built to deal with the motors power. Before installing the Funn I ran a non EMTB specific, i.e normal Hope 36t chainring, with no issues.

pez_cemetery

Mar 18, 2020
Bristol
I thought about going to 36t but didn't bother. If you do you'll probably have to remove the chain guide, or I drilling it a suitable new bolt hole probably wouldn't be that hard.

Trailblazer7

Oct 28, 2019
United States
I dont think the chain ring is the issue... you need to put some air in that rear tire and you will go faster!
Yep! The DHR II on the rear is toast (nice hole by one of the knobs). Waiting on new Schwabe Eddy Current tires to show up. The Maxxis DHR II tires Canyon is putting on these E-MTB are frankly crap for an E-MTB. Maxxis needs to make the DD version in the the 2.6" and 2.8" width.

Trailblazer7

Oct 28, 2019
United States
There are a few options out there, I run a Funn steps specific chainring, thats a one piece design - to install it you have to to remove the crank and old spider. E13 also make a direct mount option.

Any chairing of the correct specification will work, EMTB specific ones tend to be steel or stronger built to deal with the motors power. Before installing the Funn I ran a non EMTB specific, i.e normal Hope 36t chainring, with no issues.
Thanks!

Oct 20, 2020
Colorado
Yep! The DHR II on the rear is toast (nice hole by one of the knobs). Waiting on new Schwabe Eddy Current tires to show up. The Maxxis DHR II tires Canyon is putting on these E-MTB are frankly crap for an E-MTB. Maxxis needs to make the DD version in the the 2.6" and 2.8" width.
Kidding aside I dont know why eMTBs come stock with small chain rings. I am currently riding a specialized that I swapped out the stock 32t ring with a 38t. I find that I am now using more of my gear range rather than staying in the 10t sprocket all the time. As long as you use a narrow-wide chainring running without a chain guide shouldnt be a problem.

Jonny330ci

Dec 5, 2019
Wakefield
I tried to get a replacement 34T Canyon ON chainring direct from Canyon. I was told that it wasn’t possible?! I still can’t believe that they go to the trouble of making there own brand chainring and don’t allow you to buy a replacement? It’s a consumable part!!! Mines pretty much done at 2500miles and Ive had to get the standard Shimano replacement. Why not just fit it in the first place???

pez_cemetery

Mar 18, 2020
Bristol
Canyon wouldn't let me buy a second battery cover when I took their offer of a second battery at 10% off. Nice bike but I don't think I'll buy Canyon again.

Jonny330ci

Dec 5, 2019
Wakefield
Canyon wouldn't let me buy a second battery cover when I took their offer of a second battery at 10% off. Nice bike but I don't think I'll buy Canyon again.
The best thing I have found to do is ring the UK office direct and speak to someone. I have had excellent customer service with a warranty issue recently. I also got a load of issues and questions answered that had been bugging me for a while.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles