2019 Turbo Levo Range Test

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK

After my 2018 range test that I did on the Levo Expert I was keen to work out how far I could push the 2019. Given that its supposed to be a bite more efficient I thought that I'd put it to the test. London to Brighton Off Road, the British Heart Foundation charity bike ride. 75 miles in total. I knew that asking for a single battery to complete it would be pushing it, so I managed to borrow a spare.

I managed 42 miles on the first battery. This was on the stock 35% setting in Eco mode. It was far too much for most of the flat sections. I could have dialled it down to around 15%-20% and likely would have gotten over 50 miles.

I swapped to the second battery for the final 30 ish miles. I pretty much rinsed it in Turbo for the final 15 miles, bloody great fun. In total I covered approximately 3000 ft of elevation before the change to the second battery.

Was a great day out, well done to anyone the 2000 or so that completed it on a non assisted bike, the last hill is quite brutal (especially after 60 miles before it!).

DSC_7039-X5.jpg

Jay

Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
West Sussex
Hi Rob

I've just ordered the same bike as yours but I'm not liking the noise of the motor it's much louder then the 2017 model I've just sold.

mark.ai

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jul 10, 2018
Windermere
Nice ride and nice changes of scenery (y)

I'm guessing both batteries were 500Wh? I bet with the new 700Wh and a slightly lower eco setting you could cover that whole distance with one battery!!

Swissrob

Sep 4, 2018
Switzerland

After my 2018 range test that I did on the Levo Expert I was keen to work out how far I could push the 2019. Given that its supposed to be a bite more efficient I thought that I'd put it to the test. London to Brighton Off Road, the British Heart Foundation charity bike ride. 75 miles in total. I knew that asking for a single battery to complete it would be pushing it, so I managed to borrow a spare.

I managed 42 miles on the first battery. This was on the stock 35% setting in Eco mode. It was far too much for most of the flat sections. I could have dialled it down to around 15%-20% and likely would have gotten over 50 miles.

I swapped to the second battery for the final 30 ish miles. I pretty much rinsed it in Turbo for the final 15 miles, bloody great fun. In total I covered approximately 3000 ft of elevation before the change to the second battery.

Was a great day out, well done to anyone the 2000 or so that completed it on a non assisted bike, the last hill is quite brutal (especially after 60 miles before it!).

View attachment 5669

Nice vid. Now the burning question, your old mate on your old bike when did he run out of juice? Perfect time to compare the improvement or has Specialized got a gag on you;-))

ccrdave

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
Nice vid. Now the burning question, your old mate on your old bike when did he run out of juice? Perfect time to compare the improvement or has Specialized got a gag on you;-))
Yep same question for me Rob

Sophie777

Jul 3, 2018
Canada

View attachment 5669
Was that test with a 500W or 700W battery?

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Bugger I was hoping they were set at the same assistance, how much do you think tyres factored into this? I heard you comment about the roll speed.
Yeah I could have planned that a bit better really.

The tyres roll so quick, no doubt the 29er wheels and lighter tyres add to the efficiency.

Swissrob

Sep 4, 2018
Switzerland
Well you could put the 29s on your old bike for a quick comparison on one of your familiar rides to see how much difference it makes. Jaysas it's good to get some of this feedback.

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Rob, I collected my new Levo on Wednesday this week, same as yours. NO way is my motor as noisey as yours, sorry. Perhaps a check over might find something. Keep up the good work.
Thanks mate. I reckon there’s a batch of Brose motors that suffer from this issue.

Benny

Mar 27, 2018
Worthing
Great Video, thanks Rob- fantastic site also. I picked my Levo up 2 weeks ago and have found that 25% eco mode works well for me, even getting up onto the south downs- although the trail mode is quite tempting when things start getting tough! I plan on doing around 40 miles tomorrow, up and down a fair bit, so will be doing a bit of a range test myself.

Benny

Mar 27, 2018
Worthing
Hi Beeny,
I'm from Worthing what part of the South Downs do you ride.
Hi Jay,
I'm in Worthing also, normally head up to Cissbury / Chanctonbury and then East to devils dyke or west to Angmering. Plan on trying to go as far as Bignor Hill on the South Downs Way, provided my battery lasts!

Benny

Mar 27, 2018
Worthing
Let me know how far you get as there's some great trails in Houghton woods as well.
Managed 40.8 miles, with 6% battery left. Did it mostly in eco set at 25/25, with trail used at 35/100 for very steep hills. Was a great ride. Came back through Houghton woods, although by that time only had 40% battery left so couldn't play too much!

Lost a spoke on the way back- think a stone just hit it at the wrong angle?! First time it's ever happened to me, hoping I might get a new wheel as mine now looks ever so slightly buckled (although that may be me being paranoid)...

Also chain came off the cassette twice under load, probably because it needs adjustment after initial use I guess.

Will take it in to Freeborn later this week as it's due a first service. They've been great so far.

Reactions: Jay

Jay

Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
West Sussex
Managed 40.8 miles, with 6% battery left. Did it mostly in eco set at 25/25, with trail used at 35/100 for very steep hills. Was a great ride. Came back through Houghton woods, although by that time only had 40% battery left so couldn't play too much!

Lost a spoke on the way back- think a stone just hit it at the wrong angle?! First time it's ever happened to me, hoping I might get a new wheel as mine now looks ever so slightly buckled (although that may be me being paranoid)...

Also chain came off the cassette twice under load, probably because it needs adjustment after initial use I guess.

Will take it in to Freeborn later this week as it's due a first service. They've been great so far.

Sounds like you had a good day out.

Just out for interest have you got the 2019 Levo?

Dax

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 25, 2018
FoD
Thanks Rob! Do you think you could have done it on one battery if you dialed the eco back? I've always wanted to do this ride, but nowhere near fit enough

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles