2019 levo, motor drag when motor off

Mllefty

Jan 5, 2019
Sheffield
Has anybody noticed when you turn you motor off whilst riding there is a lot of drag for the motor ?

I have a 2019 levo and when I turn the motor off to save battery on a ride the drag is like riding with the brakes on, I have tested this several times and it does it even on a down,

Is this the normal for a Brose motor? This is my first ebike

Martin

Superk

Jul 8, 2018
Manlius NY
Has anybody noticed when you turn you motor off whilst riding there is a lot of drag for the motor ?

I have a 2019 levo and when I turn the motor off to save battery on a ride the drag is like riding with the brakes on, I have tested this several times and it does it even on a down,

Martin
Dont think its normal are you leaving the motor powered up and setting the assist level to off. If not I dont think the motor will disengage completely

Simon_t

Nov 18, 2018
Herne Bay, UK
No, but if it is your first e-bike it might just be you getting used to the different feel between assistance on and off. If possible try someone else’s e-bike to see if you feel the same effect. The motor has a one-way clutch which should disconnect - Do the cranks turn freely if if you move them by hand backwards?

Simon

Mllefty

Jan 5, 2019
Sheffield
Thanks for the replies,

My Crank moves freely when you back pedal. the resistance feels like peddling a dynamo (its lumpy) if that makes sense.
I have been turning the assistance level to off, I have even turned it totally off and its still doing this.

maybe I should take it in to the local dealer.

ccrdave

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
I was riding mine yesterday with the motor off, you notice its a heavy bike but there is no drag

All Mountain Coaching

E*POWAH Elite
Oct 3, 2018
GB
There is a lot of drag yes. I've done it with motor off and motor on but no assistance. It's not just a heavy bike, there is drag.

You can tell this by going down a mild hill. Pedal, you'll feel it almost slow down like the brakes are applied. Stop pedalling and free wheel and the bike will speed up.

Mllefty

Jan 5, 2019
Sheffield
There is a lot of drag yes. I've done it with motor off and motor on but no assistance. It's not just a heavy bike, there is drag.

You can tell this by going down a mild hill. Pedal, you'll feel it almost slow down like the brakes are applied. Stop pedalling and free wheel and the bike will speed up.

this is exactly what happens with mine!! so is this right or do we have a problem or is this normal :/

ccrdave

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
that does not happen with my bike but just to be sure I will test again tomorrow and report back

mark.ai

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jul 10, 2018
Windermere

That sounds an interesting effect, but I don't understand how it can happen! Since in theory, the freewheel is always available even if you are pedalling - so if the bike wants to freewheel faster than you pedal then it can do.

Maybe it's to do with the ratcheting in the rear hub? So if you pedal just slightly slower than the freewheel wants to go there is enough friction in there to slow it down and stop the freewheel occurring? Maybe someone can explain it. Damn, I need to go and try it now too!

ccrdave

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
ok more tests today, still no drag.
first I found a gentle slope, got going, motor off then pedal bike just goes faster no feeling holding back or drag.
next test quite a fast but long straight descent got going up to about 15mph, motor off highest gear and pedal, bike just goes faster no holding back, no drag
now having said that you can feel a little "friction" and it is a 21kg bike but I didnt slow down when i started to pedal, I just went faster
bike is an 2019 entry level levo with magic marys 2.6 on the front 2.35 on the back

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
On the Levo is there an off mode with the bike actually switched on, i.e on the Shimano the modes are OFF/ECO/TRAIL/BOOST. If riding in off there is no assistance but the display etc etc all works, and it feels like just riding a heavy bike.

Or are you talking about riding the bike without switching it on? Might be some sort of difference between riding with no assistance and riding without he bike being on?

ccrdave

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
The levo off mode just keeps the tcu alive so you can still record to MC or garmin or whatever, it removes all power from the motor as far as i can tell

GAP

Nov 1, 2018
Bookham

Martin
Martin

There should be virtually no drag with either the motor set to "off" or with no power on at all.
If you feel genuine drag then definitely have it checked
But, even in very low power settings the motor is still providing a lot of assistance so when you turn it off it feels like something is dragging you back. This is more noticeable because you will be in a higher gear than you would normally ride in and you are on a much heavier bike. Try switching the motor to off and then change to 2/3 gears easier. You will feel less "drag" and be back riding at an unassisted speed

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles