2019 Levo 29 to 27.5 switch

Goodmango13

Jan 25, 2020
NY
Anyone have any experience changing out their 29 wheels for 27.5 on the Levo?
I'm in love with the Levo but my other 27.5 Giant Trance E+ reminds me of how nimble these wheels are on the very twisty terrain I typically ride on .
LMK if you've made a shift and how you like it. I'm aware the geometry of the bike was designed around the 29 wheel set and will certainly be lower to the ground. Thanks for input.

boBE

Apr 12, 2020
FL
I did this for my Levo SL. Yes, the bottom bracket is lower but the only geometry change is the trail and it was only about 10 mm (10 %). I do not sense much difference except quicker steering (which was what I wanted). Oh, and the top speed is lower because the bike thinks it has larger wheels.

I found some Spank Oozy 27.5" wheels at Jenson for a good price.

Alan Yeung

Jul 9, 2019
Ottawa, ON, Canada
There was a thread posted on this. I've tried 27.5 and mullet and have settled on a mullet setup. On my local trails which are extremely rooty and rocky I was getting too many pedal strikes with the 27.5 (BB in high position). With the mullet setup (BB in high) the bike felt more agile and I no longer get my rear end "buzzed sawed" when launching drops or rolling steeps. I also went with a high engagement rear hub as I felt the stock roval hub has too low engagement for my liking.

Last edited:

bluemtrider

Oct 14, 2019
Oregon, USA
I did it on mine because my local trail system is tight and twisty on all the up/down trails. Put the flip chip in hi and added a suspension token front and rear to keep it high in the travel to minimize pedal strikes. Plus I had the 27.5 wheelset on another bike already and only had to glue a magnet to the rear rotor to make the change.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles