2019 Lapierre eZesty and more at Eurobike Day 2

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK

All new 2019 Lapierre eZesty, a stunning lightweight EMTB

In total contrast the future-looking Haibike FLYON announced yesterday, Lapierre's new eZesty looks (and feels) more like a traditional mountain bike than any EMTB that I've ever seen. Thanks to the almost fist sized Fazua Evation 1.0 Drive Pack, paired (literally) to a 250Wh battery, the eZesty brushes the scales at a featherweight 17.5KG. The entire Fazua system weights in at 4.7KG (everything including the controller). That complete low weight is unheard of in fully suspended electric mountain bike territory.

DSCF6532.jpg

You have to double take to check its actually an EMTB. In fact, regular folks might not even give it a second glance as it looks so svelte. 
Its clear what the goal was for Lapierre here. Produce an EMTB that would convince the people sitting on the fence, or perhaps are not yet convinced that electric power is necessary on the trails.

DSCF6527 copy.jpg

The motor is made by Fazua, again in stark contrast the torque-busting 120Nm from the new TQ lump that Haibike has put into its all new FLYON system, this motor is a flyweight in comparison. It offers around 60Nm of torque and will be more like an ‘Eco Mode’ on other bikes to give a comparison of how it feels.

DSCF6516-2.jpg

The spec here is a top end bike, so a luxury spec, including a 160mm travel Fox 36 fork, 12spd X01 Carbon Eagle, LP eAM+ Carbon wheels and a list of all the stuff you’d likely pick if you were building your own bike. 150mm travel at the rear supported by a Fox Float DPX EVOL shock, FSA Carbon crankset (although a disappointing 170mm crank length, would love to see smaller),

DSCF6514-2.jpg

SRAM Guide RE brakes with 200mm discs. Carbon bars, carbon dropper and Maxxis High Rollers at a slightly smaller 2.5" width make up the rest of the spec. You can see that Lapierre have been aiming to get this one as light as possible.

The bike is not quite ready yet, theres some more refinement to be done to get it ready so expect it to hit stores in late 2018 early 2019. Time to get saving!

DSCF6528.jpg

Last edited:

knut7

Administrator
Author
Subscriber
Apr 10, 2018
Norway
Nice. The system weight of just over 3kg is not incl the 1.3kg gear box? So the complete weight is some 4.5kg?

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
In this review of the Focus Raven2 which use the same motor, they say:

“The Fazua motor unit is an interesting design. The total weight of battery and drive section together is 3.2 kg. With the transfer bottom bracket unit added in, the total weight is around 4 kg. “

Redirect Notice

The Raven2 is around 14kg in a Medium, but is an XC hardtail.

Slowroller

Founding Member
Jan 15, 2018
Wyoming
I can see this sort of system appealing to some riders, or for traveling, two bikes in one! I expect most of the market will continue to chase power and speed, but who knows? Maybe it'll swing the other way and people will decide that a little assist is all they need after all?

Ryder

Apr 24, 2018
UK
I for one am all for it. It looks like a bike and without the motor it will ride like a bike. The motor is not too powerful and that suits me too. I never use boost so don't need the full power of the current motors.

Dax

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 25, 2018
FoD
Love the look of that, not looking like a bike is one of my big issues with ebikes. Looking forward to riding one

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I actually don't mind about an e -bike looking like a regular bike, as i think designers can end up making day to day usability of some bikes a pita by trying too hard to hide the fact its an ebike. Its a bit like the industry obsession with internalising all cables, looks great, makes maintenance a pain.

Dax

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 25, 2018
FoD
I actually don't mind about an e -bike looking like a regular bike, as i think designers can end up making day to day usability of some bikes a pita by trying too hard to hide the fact its an ebike. Its a bit like the industry obsession with internalising all cables, looks great, makes maintenance a pain.

And the takeaway here is that different people want different things, some here think 120nm is too powerful and want a light bike, others care less about weight and are excited about 30% more torque, others want a bike that looks like a bike, others aren't bothered. Seems like there's quite a varied market :)

knut7

Administrator
Author
Subscriber
Apr 10, 2018
Norway
Its 17.5KG. I have an interview with Nico

Jan 2019. Vid goes live in 20 mins, I have an chat with Nico Vouilloz about the bike that the guys at www.e-bikeshop.co.uk arranged (y)
Then it's probably worth the sacrificed batterycapacity and power for a lot of people! Possibly for me too. Will be interesting to hear what Nico has to say!

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
And the takeaway here is that different people want different things, some here think 120nm is too powerful and want a light bike, others care less about weight and are excited about 30% more torque, others want a bike that looks like a bike, others aren't bothered. Seems like there's quite a varied market :)
TBH all i really want from what i have with my Vitus is less weight (though i cant say i mind how my bike is), more range, how the bike looks is secondary

Reactions: Dax

Blackbird

May 23, 2018
Netherlands
Very cool looking bike, very curius how to gearbox will hold up to heavy trail use. Drives like that often use non metal gears, i hope they will hold up. It is definitely not the type of bike i would go for, i love turbo on trails, even it is overkill a lot of the time.

davegixer

Jul 7, 2018
UK
That really is gorgeous, I'm in the 'look like a normal bike' camp. Maybe I'm old. Or just OCD.

Ryder

Apr 24, 2018
UK
Nice work, did you visit Focus? Are they using the Fazua motor in and FS bikes this year? Seems like a perfect match for their lighter is better philosophy.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles