Kenevo Gen1 2019 Kenevo Comp Shock Replacement

SMJA

Oct 26, 2018
Hertfordshire, UK
Hi, looks like my Kenevo Comp rear shock has gone, smelt like a petrol station forecourt and produced some wonderful water art when washing down last. Guessing it popped its fluids and had been doing during the previous ride.

(2019 Performance Series VAN : 8.5/ 2.5 500lbs/in)

What are my options here?

Can it be rebuilt or replaced with another type? The comp has the Ohlins but I'm guessing that won't bolt straight on, the yoke might prevent this?

Can anybody recommend some options here. Happy to try another shock, but not quite 100% sure about fitting and compatibility. TF Tuned do a service, would that then recondition the shock or is it Game Over?

If anybody has a spare bolt-on solution they would like Virtual Cash for, I'm in!

Thanks for any help, be gentle with the technicals....

cozzy

Aug 11, 2019
Hampshire UK
These things are 10 year old tech. They should be robust by now. Having said that I had mine fixed within 6 months as it was knocking. If its less than 12 or is it 24? months old send it to silverfish for a warranty repair.
If it out of warranty a service should fix it anyway, which will be the cheapest option.

Last edited:

SMJA

Oct 26, 2018
Hertfordshire, UK
Was bought in 2018 so just beyond the 24 month mark... typical luck! I'll give silverfish a ring. Also been recommended TF Tuned. Suspect all full services going to be around the £100+ mark so cheaper than a replacement. Thanks for this.

These things are 10 year old tech. They should be robust by now. Having said that I had mine fixed within 6 months as it was knocking. If its less than 12 or is it 24? months old send it to silverfish for a warranty repair.
If it out of warranty a service should fix it anyway, which will be the cheapest option.

cozzy

Aug 11, 2019
Hampshire UK
I wasnt impressed with silverfish, I only used them due to warranty. I would go tftuned or another company definitely.

SMJA

Oct 26, 2018
Hertfordshire, UK
I just called TF tuned. What a great call, can thoroughly recommend, shock now booked in for a full service. Tempted by the Ohlins but might wait until my skills catch up.

BMarks

Jun 6, 2021
Sheffield
Did you get this fixed SMJA? I've got same bike, same shock. Mine has been leaking oil and knocking too. I've sent it off for service/rebuild, and when I got it back the same thing was happening, still leaking oil and knocking. Sent it off again, rebound rod was replaced as it was corroded a bit, but still the same issue. I've been unable to ride for about 2 months now!

With regards to TF Tuned, my experience with them has been shocking (pun not intended!). They advised me to replace it with a CCDB Heritage as the shaft is thicker so more bomb proof - when the shock got delivered it was clearly much thinner, not thicker. They also told me my current fox spring would fit the CCDB, it does not. I also told them what bushing size I needed, they rang me to say I was wrong and they had installed the correct one instead - it doesn't fit. They've wasted another 2 weeks. I was only going this route to get a fix in time for my riding holiday, but as they got it wrong at every turn I had to miss that so I'm returning it.

So I can't seem to fix my fox van rc, and my attempt at an expensive but fast upgrade/fix failed too. All this while we've had some of the best riding weather since last summer and I've missed my annual riding holiday now. Gutted!

Did you get a good outcome?

SMJA

Oct 26, 2018
Hertfordshire, UK
Did you get this fixed SMJA? I've got same bike, same shock. Mine has been leaking oil and knocking too. I've sent it off for service/rebuild, and when I got it back the same thing was happening, still leaking oil and knocking. Sent it off again, rebound rod was replaced as it was corroded a bit, but still the same issue. I've been unable to ride for about 2 months now!

With regards to TF Tuned, my experience with them has been shocking (pun not intended!). They advised me to replace it with a CCDB Heritage as the shaft is thicker so more bomb proof - when the shock got delivered it was clearly much thinner, not thicker. They also told me my current fox spring would fit the CCDB, it does not. I also told them what bushing size I needed, they rang me to say I was wrong and they had installed the correct one instead - it doesn't fit. They've wasted another 2 weeks. I was only going this route to get a fix in time for my riding holiday, but as they got it wrong at every turn I had to miss that so I'm returning it.

So I can't seem to fix my fox van rc, and my attempt at an expensive but fast upgrade/fix failed too. All this while we've had some of the best riding weather since last summer and I've missed my annual riding holiday now. Gutted!

Did you get a good outcome?

I did, yes (Apologies for not answering sooner!) TF did a fantastic job, was all booked in and turned around. Not only that I was called to chat through the work and the recommendation to upgrade a part due to a known Kenevo compatibility issue. AND they had the outright cheek to suggest I was running the wrong spring and should consider something more industrial. :) I upgraded to a progressive which they offered at a discount as it had a paint chip. The bike is spot on now.

So my experience was really positive!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles