2019 Giant E bikes. Sizing.

Mesa

Nov 12, 2018
SO Cal
Last week I was introduced to e bikes after avoiding them in principle.

I tried two locally. I really liked the 2018 FULL E for $3,750. I only test drove it around the block. Love the quiet and power and the intuitive ease of use. Plus the feel and comfort almost immediately.
- I like the Specialized too. But they Giants seem lighter in a way. Maybe downhilling at full speed the Levo's would be stabler?

SO I have read here and studied a few uTube vids and I think I am going to get the 2019 orange Trance E +1.

I was wondering if anyone has their take on sizing?
My current (old) MB sports a smaller wheel base, less slack, and tight turning availability.
It is a little squirrely on downhills on my modest trail system a block away. I am upright except downhilling with my rear off and in back of the seat. I have never had a dropper. I am old (63) and 225.

Size question: I am 5'11" I kind of like the medium nimbleness. Yet I have no trail time for pre-purchase. The bike tech's suggestion was L.
I was wondering if I should get the Large size?

Good to be here on this fine forum and i hope to show off my Giant soon.

DarkBlueSheep

Oct 31, 2018
Brisbane
So it seems the 2019 Trance E+ range from Giant is slightly smaller than what you would expect. Eg. an XL feels like a L

I am 6'5" so I had no choice but to go for an XL, but I have read a lot about people having to go for one size up compared to what they are used to.

Best bet is to demo one if you can. I have only owned my Trance e+1 since Saturday and i am absolutely loving it, so assuming you can get your sizing right you will not be disappointed.

MattyB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
Giant’s own chart says a medium:

DB8C982A-FE7A-4376-B746-D08493B6E0F9.jpeg

However, because of the low stack on the Trance (all sizes have a stack below 600mm; by contrast all Levos are above 600mm) I agree you are more likely to need to size up to a large. You really need to ride one to find out though; spending that kind of money without doing so would be crazy. Good luck!

knut7

Administrator
Author
Subscriber
Apr 10, 2018
Norway
I'm 5'11 and rode the Trance E+ in Medium. It felt a bit small for a Medium bike but it wasn't a problem. I'm pretty sure L would have worked for me too, but I appreciate the nimbleness and usually pick M over L.

Shane

Sep 16, 2018
Adelaide
I’m 5’11 and I bought a medium. I’ve moved the seat back a bit but it just felt much more manageable to me than the large.

Edit: corrected height.

Last edited:

DarkBlueSheep

Oct 31, 2018
Brisbane
I’m 6’11 and I bought a medium. I’ve moved the seat back a bit but it just felt much more manageable to me than the large.
Wow that is tall, surprised the medium felt better. I did try a medium and I probably could have got on with it but I was sold when I tried the XL.

I have put my seat all the way back and it feels like it should be a bit further back still, have you changed the seat? The standard one seems a bit limited on how far it will go back.

Shane

Sep 16, 2018
Adelaide
Wow that is tall, surprised the medium felt better. I did try a medium and I probably could have got on with it but I was sold when I tried the XL.

I have put my seat all the way back and it feels like it should be a bit further back still, have you changed the seat? The standard one seems a bit limited on how far it will go back.
Hah! That IS tall. Whoops, meant 5’11.

Brianjonesphoto

Patreon
Oct 8, 2018
Seattle USA
So it seems the 2019 Trance E+ range from Giant is slightly smaller than what you would expect. Eg. an XL feels like a L

I am 6'5" so I had no choice but to go for an XL, but I have read a lot about people having to go for one size up compared to what they are used to.

Best bet is to demo one if you can. I have only owned my Trance e+1 since Saturday and i am absolutely loving it, so assuming you can get your sizing right you will not be disappointed.

How do you like the fit with the low stack height? Did you try any other bikes before choosing the giant?

Sunderland

Oct 4, 2018
happy1
I got an SQ Lab 30X 12deg 45mm riser bar to compensate for the low stack height on my new XL Trance E+ 2. I'm 6' 3". Went on a 26 mile ride this past weekend and the fit seemed quite good.

Since the new bar is a 31.8mm diameter, I also had to change out the stem to a 31.8mm size since the Giant stem was 35mm. I purchased the Syntace Megaforce2 6 deg stem.

DarkBlueSheep

Oct 31, 2018
Brisbane
How do you like the fit with the low stack height? Did you try any other bikes before choosing the giant?
I didn't try any others tbh, I was considering the Merida 900 but my LBS that stocked them was messing me about so I gave up trying to test ride one.

I must admit the low stack height is a bit of an issue, I noticed this yesterday while on the cycle paths to work. I think I might change a few things in that area once the bank account has recovered a bit.

DarkBlueSheep

Oct 31, 2018
Brisbane
I got an SQ Lab 30X 12deg 45mm riser bar to compensate for the low stack height on my new XL Trance E+ 2. I'm 6' 3". Went on a 26 mile ride this past weekend and the fit seemed quite good.

Since the new bar is a 31.8mm diameter, I also had to change out the stem to a 31.8mm size since the Giant stem was 35mm. I purchased the Syntace Megaforce2 6 deg stem.
This is definitely something I'm considering too. It feels a bit low for me. I was wondering though, could I just add more spacers to increase the height or do you think it's better going to new bars and stem? What made you choose that setup?

I'm a bit a noob when it comes to upgrades and changes. Always just rode what I had and put up with it.

Mesa

Nov 12, 2018
SO Cal
Thanks for the good advice and info. And that Giant Chart.

I do read on other links that these E bikes are smaller than a Trance Advanced 1 that I have my heart set on before I finally realized i will have more fun hours on an E-Bike.
I will get my sizing down with that chart and my need for nimbleness over downhilling I will take a good hard look at a M.

Reading bar riser and higher stems I might need to include this too when I pull out my CC and take the plunge to buy it. The bike store i was going to go to has the 101 (So Cal) freeway closed again with CA fires. It would be nice to buy the bike and ask for at cost, or free install, or???
.. right at the most leverage time. During decision mode for any upgrades or sideways better fit/ride changes.

- Is there any bike shop in Utah or someplace to avoid 9.75% CA taxes?

Questions:
- Besides around the parking lot, or the block, is it customary to allow short hill rides?
Locally, I have a $120 a day rental fee towards purchase. But no Giants there... just the Specialized and Santa Cruz.

- Any Other, at the time of purchase, changes that alot of riders get that I might consider?

Thank you all!

DarkBlueSheep

Oct 31, 2018
Brisbane
It is definitely worth negotiating on extras as part of the initial purchase, you are spending a lot of money on a new bike so the bike store should be accommodating. I got a discount on peddles and bottle holder, and they threw in a free water bottle too. Add to that a $(AUD)1000 discount on the bike itself and it makes the whole purchase a lot better.

I went for the side entry bottle holder because the angle of the top tube can make it a bit difficult to pull the bottle out the top of it's holder.

Stay safe in those fires, they look serious!

Mesa

Nov 12, 2018
SO Cal
I will get that water bottle / pedals are good to know.

Wish I knew how to get a fat discount but my shop in town won't budge from retail and he doesn't have any 2019 Trance E pro's so maybe that's why? I guess only bigger dealers can cut some off retail? The place an hour and a half South of me has a $300 off sale but getting a couple tuneups locally would be a bonus, logistically.

After riding the 2018 Trance E with that quiet yet strong Yamaha I am 95% ready for the orange Trance Pro +1.

MattyB

Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
This is definitely something I'm considering too. It feels a bit low for me. I was wondering though, could I just add more spacers to increase the height or do you think it's better going to new bars and stem? What made you choose that setup?
The advantage with using the riser is you can tune the reach and rise subtly with bar roll. By contrast adding spacers under a flat bar will unavoidably result in a slightly decreased reach due to the head angle, unless you fit a longer stem (which of course has other handling implications). There won’t be much in it for most riders, but the riser is probably the slightly better bet to help you reach your perfect setup.

Sunderland

Oct 4, 2018
happy1

I'm a bit a noob when it comes to upgrades and changes. Always just rode what I had and put up with it.

I was unable to add more spacers because the steerer tube had no more length. The bike shop told me they did not cut the fork steerer tube when they assembled the bike. If the steerer tube had been longer, I probably would only have added some headset spacers.

MattyB

Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
I was unable to add more spacers because the steerer tube had no more length. The bike shop told me they did not cut the fork steerer tube when they assembled the bike. If the steerer tube had been longer, I probably would only have added some headset spacers.
That is a really stupid move by Giant given the low stack on this bike. They obviously like the slammed look, but it would be much better to give buyers the option to run spacers if they want - you can always cut down a tube that is too long, but not the other way round!

Mesa

Nov 12, 2018
SO Cal
I have been deliberating through this week. Test driving a few others. I liked a Medium Specialized Comp Carbon ($7,300 out the door) yesterday. But I am 95% sure about a medium Giant Trance E Pro+1. Going to check other riser angles, stem adapters to suit my 5'11"frame.

I am going to test ride your model. A medium 2019 Stance E medium Friday. My dealer can't get any for a month so I have to drive 1.5 hours. I wonder if there is any no state tax dealer that has any. Apparently there are some metal tariffs affecting Giant manufacturing in China. Stymieing US shipments.

Labrador29

Jun 24, 2019
Marlborough New Zealand
This post is months after you probably purchased your Giant Trance E +1 Pro. I purchased the 2019 model, exactly the same model, in March this year. I am 73, 5'-9 and a bit, and am absolutely loving my first E MTB. Size M suited me down to the ground, especially the dropper seat when I am negotiating twisty downhill MTB tracks at a speed faster than my family would like. I like to get my weight down low quickly, sometimes while balanced over the pedals, other times low and balanced slightly behind the seat.
My cardiologist pushed me into the E bike because he didn't want me putting pressure on my heart. I thought E bikes were for 'cheats', but have changed my mind now.
Never had so much fun for a long time.
Hope you are enjoying your new bike.

MitchF

E*POWAH Elite
Jun 1, 2019
Mirokumk38
I’m 6’2”, I was told to get XL.
I used the GIANT chart then visited a dealer to get sat one.
Bought LG and it’s perfect for me.
Stance E+1 ??

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles