2019 Canyon Spectral:On questions

Wayne Barker

Dec 3, 2018
Bath
Hi.
The 2019 model comes with a USB port. Can anyone recommend a light that can be plugged in for night riding. Think it would be good to not have to carry light battery's.
The canyon site said it comes with frame protection. I cant find any info on what they mean. (Bash guard or invisiframe).
Hope my Spectral on 6 will be delivered next week so i can find out. I've not rode one yet but just bought it because of the reviews and the components look amazing for the price.
Thanks for any info.
Wayne

nicklej

Patreon
Oct 11, 2018
Camberley
Hi.
The 2019 model comes with a USB port. Can anyone recommend a light that can be plugged in for night riding. Think it would be good to not have to carry light battery's.
The canyon site said it comes with frame protection. I cant find any info on what they mean. (Bash guard or invisiframe).
Hope my Spectral on 6 will be delivered next week so i can find out. I've not rode one yet but just bought it because of the reviews and the components look amazing for the price.
Thanks for any info.
Wayne

I'm not sure what you mean about the USB port - does the bike provide power to things plugged into the USB?:unsure: I'd imagine it's used for connecting to a device to update software etc. A lot of lights are USB rechargeable so there shouldn't be a problem finding in that region :)

For the price, I would imagine they mean it is invisi-framed. Common on pricey bikes.
I've only ever ridden standard Spectral's and I really like them. Canyon being a direct seller can give you pretty good bang per buck too (y)

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
The Shimano Steps motor has a dedicated lighting wiring attachment point, that is designed to be used with lights designed to work with the steps system - using this gives you the ability to turn the light on and off using the steps head unit. You can buy a specific cable from Shimano.

Shimano Steps Light Adapter Modul SM-DUE01 | Front Lights Shop

There are not that many Stpes specific systems out there, but the best know one is probably the Lupine one:

Lupine Lighting Systems - Bike lights • E-Bike lights • For Shimano

RLBiker

Dec 27, 2018
Dorking, Surrey
Hi.
Thanks for any info.
Wayne
Wayne, don't quote me on this, but I dont think the USB port would provide enough juice to actually power a set of decent off road lights. I think it is more intended for charging phones/cycle computers etc, although could obviously charge a light as well. Also check if the intended light can be switched on while charging.

The dedicated attachment point is surely a better option, but have a look at the impact on range before investing in the compatible lights!

Wayne Barker

Dec 3, 2018
Bath
I'm not sure what you mean about the USB port - does the bike provide power to things plugged into the USB?:unsure: I'd imagine it's used for connecting to a device to update software etc. A lot of lights are USB rechargeable so there shouldn't be a problem finding in that region :)

For the price, I would imagine they mean it is invisi-framed. Common on pricey bikes.
I've only ever ridden standard Spectral's and I really like them. Canyon being a direct seller can give you pretty good bang per buck too (y)

Thanks Nicklej. They say on the canyon site it is for charging phones/GPS etc. Just wondering if anyone powers a light this way. Hopefully it is invisiframed as it's quite expensive to do after.

Wayne Barker

Dec 3, 2018
Bath
Wayne, don't quote me on this, but I dont think the USB port would provide enough juice to actually power a set of decent off road lights. I think it is more intended for charging phones/cycle computers etc, although could obviously charge a light as well. Also check if the intended light can be switched on while charging.

The dedicated attachment point is surely a better option, but have a look at the impact on range before investing in the compatible lights!

Thanks RLBiker. I agree an attached light will be better. Not too worried about battery drain as a night ride for me will be a maximum two hour blast around the woods.

Wayne Barker

Dec 3, 2018
Bath
The Shimano Steps motor has a dedicated lighting wiring attachment point, that is designed to be used with lights designed to work with the steps system - using this gives you the ability to turn the light on and off using the steps head unit. You can buy a specific cable from Shimano.

Shimano Steps Light Adapter Modul SM-DUE01 | Front Lights Shop

There are not that many Stpes specific systems out there, but the best know one is probably the Lupine one:

Lupine Lighting Systems - Bike lights • E-Bike lights • For Shimano

Thanks R120. I think that's the way to go for me ?

nicklej

Patreon
Oct 11, 2018
Camberley
Thanks Nicklej. They say on the canyon site it is for charging phones/GPS etc. Just wondering if anyone powers a light this way. Hopefully it is invisiframed as it's quite expensive to do after.
Have you ordered your Spectral yet or just doing research atm? You'll love any e-mtb but I love Canyon's designs on most of their bikes from road to mtb.

If it's not invisiframed, then I think for under £100, it is money well spent. Everyone likes keeping things looking good and once you fit it, you'l forget you ever parted with that cash. Worth very penny mate :)

RLBiker

Dec 27, 2018
Dorking, Surrey
Thanks RLBiker. I agree an attached light will be better. Not too worried about battery drain as a night ride for me will be a maximum two hour blast around the woods.
I was looking at it like this - a normal USB charger provides 5V and about 2A = 10 watts. The lupine lights which look fantastic and wire straight into the bike use 12W and provide 700 lumens of power. If the USB port only provides 2A then you could be limited to something less than 700 lumens, right? Although maybe the USB port can provide more power than that depending on how it is wired up I guess.

Anyway, Halfords are selling this light:
Bikehut 1600 Lumen Front Bike Light
1600 lumens and has a decent spread, and comes with a garmin/gopro handlebar mount for only £50...! Helmet mount also available for £5. It just uses a go pro fitting. I'm blown over by how good this thing is.
I run it helmet mounted with a Hope vision 4 on the handlebars - turns gnarly surrey hills trails from night to day. You can feel the weight on the helmet but it does the trick for a couple of hours.

Wayne Barker

Dec 3, 2018
Bath
Have you ordered your Spectral yet or just doing research atm? You'll love any e-mtb but I love Canyon's designs on most of their bikes from road to mtb.

If it's not invisiframed, then I think for under £100, it is money well spent. Everyone likes keeping things looking good and once you fit it, you'l forget you ever parted with that cash. Worth very penny mate :)
Yes I've ordered and expecting delivery next week as the tracking said its arrived in England. I agree it's worth keeping it in tiptop condition.
Never even rode a Canyon bike but I've wanted an ebike for a few years now. I've done lot research and there not many with this level of components for that money.

nicklej

Patreon
Oct 11, 2018
Camberley
Yes I've ordered and expecting delivery next week as the tracking said its arrived in England. I agree it's worth keeping it in tiptop condition.
Never even rode a Canyon bike but I've wanted an ebike for a few years now. I've done lot research and there not many with this level of components for that money.
My friend has a Spectral CF non leccy and loved the bike. As far as non-ebikes go, I think canyons mtb range really hits the spot for me in terms of aesthetic - just wish extra bikes weren't extra money :LOL:

Wayne Barker

Dec 3, 2018
Bath
I was looking at it like this - a normal USB charger provides 5V and about 2A = 10 watts. The lupine lights which look fantastic and wire straight into the bike use 12W and provide 700 lumens of power. If the USB port only provides 2A then you could be limited to something less than 700 lumens, right? Although maybe the USB port can provide more power than that depending on how it is wired up I guess.

Anyway, Halfords are selling this light:
Bikehut 1600 Lumen Front Bike Light
1600 lumens and has a decent spread, and comes with a garmin/gopro handlebar mount for only £50...! Helmet mount also available for £5. It just uses a go pro fitting. I'm blown over by how good this thing is.
I run it helmet mounted with a Hope vision 4 on the handlebars - turns gnarly surrey hills trails from night to day. You can feel the weight on the helmet but it does the trick for a couple of hours.
I did read the review on this forum on the 1600 bike hit. Could be a good buy for me I think. Thanks for the info on USB outputs ?

Salty89

Jan 26, 2019
Norfolk
Hi
Just got my first ebike this week, a 2019 spectral. Just wondered if anyone has fitted a 29er as a rear wheel and if it works? Just thinking about the dry summer trails and a 2.8 may be a bit excessive
Thanks

jpaulo.emtb

Sep 12, 2018
Portugal
The rims ALEX RIMS EM35 are tubeless ready. Anyone knows if we only need to add the valves and the liquid and they are ready to go? Or we need to add a tubeless tape?

Salty89

Jan 26, 2019
Norfolk
The rims ALEX RIMS EM35 are tubeless ready. Anyone knows if we only need to add the valves and the liquid and they are ready to go? Or we need to add a tubeless tape?
They come with schwalbe not tubeless rim tape fitted.
I had to tape and buy valve and sealant.
Not had a problem with them been tubeless for a month now with no loss in pressure

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles