Levo Gen 2 2019 / 2020 Specialized Turbo Levo info and FAQ

Kimmoi

Jul 6, 2018
Finland
So it happened now that the Trek would be late.
My other LBS had one M-sized Turbo Levo comp 2021 available right away, so i canceled the Trek and made deal about Levo. :D

I will get it next week.
And luckily the color happens to be my favorite Oak green metallic / black / gloss white!

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I have a Levo and a Whyte E180............both have fully sealed solid downtubes so the battery has to slide out at the bottom. Personally I only ever remove the battery on either bike once or twice a year and use a bike stand to do that.

I would not buy a bike that does not have that design for battery storage!

Far too many of the bikes with pathetic plastic flaps on the face of the downtube to give battery access, allow water and dust ingress and also sit a very heavy battery on a pin type plug...another recipe for poor connection and wear. If those weaknesses were not enough many also incorporate unreliable catches and key locks that jam with dust and mud.

There will almost certainly come a time when all the brands move to designs that have batteries fully encased in the downtube both in order to protect the battery and enable a stiff yet lightweight downtube.

Short term there are plenty of easy methods to remove the Levo battery........using a workstand being the most obvious. Longer term the OP would benefit from arrangements that best ensure reliable functionality of the bike, and that means using the charging port rather than constantly removing the battery, and storing the bike in a warm and dry environment after and between rides.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Can someone post which exact headset I would need for 2019 Expert? Thanks
why a complete headset? assumingthe bearing cups are OK all you need is 2 bearings..........details in your Levo manual or several threads on here.

D

Deleted member 7464

Hi guys,do I need to drop the motor to fit a new brake line on the 2019/20 carbon levo?

salko

Aug 29, 2019
SLO
No, use old hose to pull new one in using rock shock barb connector or similar...

RebornRider

May 31, 2019
NorCal USA
Just get yourself ready for an anxious moment when the "snake eating a pig" bulge formed by the barb has to pass through some tight spots. Push on one end while you (or a helper) pulls on the other end.

salko

Aug 29, 2019
SLO
Just get yourself ready for an anxious moment when the "snake eating a pig" bulge formed by the barb has to pass through some tight spots. Push on one end while you (or a helper) pulls on the other end.
Rock Shox Barb Connector has the same diameter as brake hose, so no "snake eating a pig" effect...

Last edited:

RebornRider

May 31, 2019
NorCal USA
I probably have a different brand. The barb caused a bulge in the hose (not huge, but not zero), and the joint was not flexible which caused the joint to resist going around corners.

BenP

Jul 11, 2022
UK
Hi,

New to the site and ebikes, I've just acquired a 2019 Turbo Comp Levo. It came from my cousins estate!

It came with the rear wheel and cassette off the bike and just working my way through things to get it back up and running. I have the SRAM PG1130 Cassette and a FH-521 freehub, I'm clearly missing a spacer or something as the cassette slides on the freehub when installed.
I've tried a spare 1.85mm spacer I had, however that is too big, and won't allow the 11th gear onto the freehub.
My question is what am I missing, I have all 11 cogs (3 fixed) and 6 black spacers, along with the locking ring?

Thanks

Ben

salko

Aug 29, 2019
SLO
AFAIK you don't need a spacer behind largest cog on this setup. Here are parts of the cassette + lockring (not on the photo):

1657534093050.png

BenP

Jul 11, 2022
UK
Thanks @salko, looks exactly what I have, I've seen those images, 6 spacers like I have, but I just wondered if a spacer wasn't photographed.

I can't find much detail on the spec of the freehub though, and notice later bikes were 12 speed, which got me thinking I needed a spacer.
It doesn't look like a new freehub as it has marks on it, cassette was off, and looks a bit worn, but wanted to get the bike up and running to work out what it needs

salko

Aug 29, 2019
SLO
Can you take a photo of a freehub and cassete if we'll see something obviously wrong?

BenP

Jul 11, 2022
UK
Thanks, I'll give it another go and see what happens.
Which eagle cassette did you upgrade to, as I'm thinking I could do with a new one and chain?

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
I had exact same setup before upgrading to Eagle so I'm pretty sure there is no spacer needed behind the lagest cog in this setup. Maybe your end nut on the axle is not tightened enough so freehub body has some free play together with a cassette?
So many variations these days I lose track. Nothing worse than having a bit extra or a bit missing. Roval wheel hope wheel aargh

salko

Aug 29, 2019
SLO
Thanks, I'll give it another go and see what happens.
Which eagle cassette did you upgrade to, as I'm thinking I could do with a new one and chain?
I upgraded to PG1230 cassette, X01 chain and GX AXS derailleur, one of the best upgrades I did on the bike, now after about 3kkm took quite some beating (also crashed and bent derailleur hanger which had to be replaced) still works flawlessly ...

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
to confirm the only spacers are the ones between cogs. Are you sure the cassette is sliding on the freehub ? The freehub iself may be loose on the axle. I would check that the axle is correctly installed. The axle is tensioned against the nondrive side bearing by a cone nut and lock nut on the non drive side. The cone nut should be tightened until you start to feel some resistance of the axle rotating, then backed off a quarter turn...thenthe lock nut tightened against it. Fit the freehub next. On the drive side the adjustment of the freehub on the axle is done with a singel cone nut ( usually silver coloured) and is counter clockwise to tighten. Adjustment is achieved by snugging that up and then backing off (clockwise) about half a turn. The freehub should now have no side to side play and the axle should be freely rotating. Next fit the cassette and cassette locknut ( 40nm) .

AlwynM

Jun 5, 2020
Liverpool, UK
to confirm the only spacers are the ones between cogs. Are you sure the cassette is sliding on the freehub ? The freehub iself may be loose on the axle. I would check that the axle is correctly installed. The axle is tensioned against the nondrive side bearing by a cone nut and lock nut on the non drive side. The cone nut should be tightened until you start to feel some resistance of the axle rotating, then backed off a quarter turn...thenthe lock nut tightened against it. Fit the freehub next. On the drive side the adjustment of the freehub on the axle is done with a singel cone nut ( usually silver coloured) and is counter clockwise to tighten. Adjustment is achieved by snugging that up and then backing off (clockwise) about half a turn. The freehub should now have no side to side play and the axle should be freely rotating. Next fit the cassette and cassette locknut ( 40nm) .

Thanks a lot for this.

BenP

Jul 11, 2022
UK
Yes thanks as well, I'm going to give it a good going over this weekend, with a new cassette and chain.
I'll post back with what happens, but appreciate the advice and tips, small steps to understand why it was in bits.....

BenP

Jul 11, 2022
UK
Well ended up new bearings in the rear axle and freehub, and new cassette and all back together and working fine, need a new lower jockey wheel as it has a lot of play

Nico88

Jul 20, 2022
Italy
Rob, great stuff. Now I can geek out and get all the necessary tools before my baby comes.

Hi Rob,
this is an awsome post! thanks for all the usefull info. Is it possible have the same weight table updated for the last Turbo levo model? I am not sure if somebody already posted it.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles