2018 Specialized Turbo Kenevo Comp - Rear Wheel Hub Dis-assembly

brizi2003

Nov 20, 2018
Whickham, Newcastle upon Tyne
Can anyone help me with this. Where can I find a diagram or instructions describing how to dis-assemble the rear wheel hub. I think I may have a grumbling wheel bearing but want to dis-assemble to confirm.

outerlimits

E*POWAH BOSS
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia
The rear wheel bearings crapped out on my Levo real quick. They only have a good seal on the outside and a crap seal on the inside. I thInk they are LBLU seal prefix, and I replaced with LLU.
Not hard to pull apart and clean the face for the correct number.
Punch out from behind with a socket extension bar and hammer in new ones with a suitable size socket.

brizi2003

Nov 20, 2018
The rear wheel bearings crapped out on my Levo real quick. They only have a good seal on the outside and a crap seal on the inside. I thInk they are LBLU seal prefix, and I replaced with LLU.
Not hard to pull apart and clean the face for the correct number.
Punch out from behind with a socket extension bar and hammer in new ones with a suitable size socket.
Hi mate, I'm used to Shimano cup and cone so I'm a bit lost doing the initial dis-assembly on cartridge bearing hubs. After removing the cassette - do you remove the freehub with an Allen Key? (like I'm used to) then do the hub ends pull apart or is a spanner/allen key needed? which side do you remove first etc.?Can you provide a bit more detail or point me in the right direction? Ta Brian

outerlimits

E*POWAH BOSS
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia
Hi mate, I'm used to Shimano cup and cone so I'm a bit lost doing the initial dis-assembly on cartridge bearing hubs. After removing the cassette - do you remove the freehub with an Allen Key? (like I'm used to) then do the hub ends pull apart or is a spanner/allen key needed? which side do you remove first etc.?Can you provide a bit more detail or point me in the right direction? Ta Brian
Remove the cassette, the cassette hub just pulls straight off, no need for an Allen key. Spanner to remove the lock nuts and then the axle nuts. A large Allen key can be inserted into the axle hollow as there is provision for it to help with removal. Left thread one side, and right thread the other. Axel pulls out by hand.
It’s fairly straightforward, just remember where it all goes. The free hub pulls off by hand, no tools needed, tho can be a bit tight.
I did not replace the freehub bearing, just the axle bearings.
When installing the freehub, the prawns may have to be poked in with a screwdriver to get it to seat.
The axle nuts just need a slight preload on the bearing. Not too much, or it will wreck them. Just enough to take up axel play.

It will all make sense when it pull it apart. If you done the old ball and race bearings then this is a walk in the park in comparison.

brizi2003

Nov 20, 2018
Remove the cassette, the cassette hub just pulls straight off, no need for an Allen key. Spanner to remove the lock nuts and then the axle nuts. A large Allen key can be inserted into the axle hollow as there is provision for it to help with removal. Left thread one side, and right thread the other. Axel pulls out by hand.
It’s fairly straightforward, just remember where it all goes. The free hub pulls off by hand, no tools needed, tho can be a bit tight.
I did not replace the freehub bearing, just the axle bearings.
When installing the freehub, the prawns may have to be poked in with a screwdriver to get it to seat.
The axle nuts just need a slight preload on the bearing. Not too much, or it will wreck them. Just enough to take up axel play.

It will all make sense when it pull it apart. If you done the old ball and race bearings then this is a walk in the park in comparison.
Thanks it was just as you said! Good news is it was not the bearing that was moving but the non-drive side lock nut that had actually come loose so it was a matter of holding the axle with a 12mm allen key whilst tightening the lock nut with a 18mm cone spanner.

outerlimits

E*POWAH BOSS
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia
Thanks it was just as you said! Good news is it was not the bearing that was moving but the non-drive side lock nut that had actually come loose so it was a matter of holding the axle with a 12mm allen key whilst tightening the lock nut with a 18mm cone spanner.
Yeah, that’s a common problem with these Roval hubs.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles