2018 revelations question

Matt b

Sep 28, 2018
Swansea
Should the forks compress when I release all the air from them? Bike is on the ground. They are also hard to extend when empty of air.
cheers

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Press the nipple on the Schrader vale at the top of the fork and then press the fork. With no air pressure in the fork it should compress easily and stay there.
If you then try to extend the fork it will be like trying to extend a bicycle pump when your finger is over the hole at the end. Press the nipple again and you should be able to extend the fork because air can get back in via the valve, but it will be slow.

Be sure to follow your fork manufacturer's instructions for inflating the fork. It is no longer simply inflate and go!

z1ppy

E*POWAH Master
May 11, 2018
West Mids
if you doing this for shockwiz ratio check, then yes the forks should be very deflated but not necessarily full compressed, as for extending them with no air, it's difficult (I hold the wheel down with my feet and pull hard) but not impossible...

Matt b

Sep 28, 2018
Swansea
if you doing this for shockwiz ratio check, then yes the forks should be very deflated but not necessarily full compressed, as for extending them with no air, it's difficult (I hold the wheel down with my feet and pull hard) but not impossible...
Thanks, the small port on the air spring was blocked with grease . I let the air out, took off the top cap and pulled up really hard a few times. There was a pop sound and the forks equalised. The fork is now much better.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I had that when the bike was new and again when I removed both tokens. On both occasions some violent compression/decompression shifted the blockage and if they are not messed with the problem does not re occur. I'll get it properly fixed when the forks are first serviced.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles