2017 VS 2018 levo or kenevo

edintheuk

Jun 17, 2018
west berkshire
hi all new to the forum .

the levo ride youtube channel videos brought me here - good job on the channel.
considering a levo or Kenevo.
have opportunity to save some a good chunk of money buying a 2017 vs a new 2018 model.

ive read some general info about a big change in the brose motor on the new 2018's.

Question : are the 2017 models a good buy or is all the hype due to a better motor / battery system on the 2018's.

cheers - keep up the channel / forums

-EdintheUk

SteveVentoux

Patreon
May 13, 2018
Bucks
I was tempted with getting a heavily discounted 2017 Levo model but did some research and read of issues with overheating of the 1.2 motor, which have been supposedly cured in the 1.3 version, along with improved performance, so decided to go with a 2018 and pay a bit more. I'm sure the 2019 models will iterate a bit more but I ran out of patience and decided to get one now rather than wait again, life is too short!

SteveVentoux

Patreon
May 13, 2018
Bucks
@edintheuk Excellent, that must be the XL one I was considering and enquired about with them, but decided in the end that my pockets weren't deep enough and went for the Comp model (which I managed to get for £3588 via trade-in and my work's discount scheme at Evans). Still a lot of money!

Enjoy!

Pendo

Jun 13, 2018
Australia
I have a 2017 Levo and had no issues with overheating the 1.2 motor (I'm an Aussie, so I ride in some very hot conditions).
There are other differences between 2017 / 2018 (although I think the geometry is the same) - suspension, walk assist handlebar controller (you can fit one to the 2017 model) and battery size.
It depends on your budget - you wont be disappointed with a heavily discounted 2017 model, still an awesome bike.
I nearly sold the 2017 bike for a 2018 but have decided to upgrade components (works out cheaper) as needed instead, so when the forks need a revamp I'll go with longer travel, same with rear shock (although I am very happy with the present setup), rumours of a 2019 630w battery abound so one of those will be considered in a few years.

ShaneV34

Aug 13, 2018
Brisbane, Australia
Hi Pendo, when you upgrade the front forks do you know what you are going to go with? The Levo comp is expensive but i think the base Levo suspension is lacking so its the first thing I would upgrade. Just wondering if its going to cost more to upgrade than go with the next model up? Cheers

Al Boneta

Dark Rider
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
California
Hi Pendo, when you upgrade the front forks do you know what you are going to go with? The Levo comp is expensive but i think the base Levo suspension is lacking so its the first thing I would upgrade. Just wondering if its going to cost more to upgrade than go with the next model up? Cheers
You can get the new charger 2 upgrade kit and a longer travel debonair airshaft installed cheaper than a new fork.
4077F608-A76E-4BE3-A197-433E5CCC31D3.jpeg
65F7BC43-10EF-4B11-91A1-D196BFCB9CF6.jpeg

Al Boneta

Dark Rider
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
California
Thanks Al Boneta, I am totally new to this, what sort of added travel can I get? Will going to 160-170mm Mess up the geometry and the ride feel?
160mm is okay, but 170mm is going to start to handle like a 1970s chopper.
A week after I got my first Levo I changed the air shaft in the Pike to 160mm and that’s been popular with my customers as well.
I had a one guy put a 180mm Lyrik on his S-works and he couldn’t climb hills after that. It wanted to wheelie and loop out.

ShaneV34

Aug 13, 2018
Brisbane, Australia
160mm is okay, but 170mm is going to start to handle like a 1970s chopper.
A week after I got my first Levo I changed the air shaft in the Pike to 160mm and that’s been popular with my customers as well.
I had a one guy put a 180mm Lyrik on his S-works and he couldn’t climb hills after that. It wanted to wheelie and loop out.
Funny image. Thanks Al Boneta, is it expensive to do? Also will this make it better or on par with the Revelation RC fork? Oh out of curiosity if u increase the travel at both ends at the same time could u keep the geometry and ride feel of the bike? Say 180 on the front and 165 at the rear? Or is that getting silly expensive?

Al Boneta

Dark Rider
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
California
I walk assist handlebar controller (you can fit one to the 2017 model)
This isn’t accurate.
The 2018 has a bigger opening on the frame for the plug of the handlebar controller to fit through.
305F7B83-2AA5-4A47-8B09-A685D328551E.jpeg

2018 Frame
C5120427-C428-46BF-BE39-CE59892671DC.jpeg

2017 and older frames only have a hole small enough to fit one cable for a dropper post.
92D29F6E-812E-4C9A-BDF4-5253FD19E11E.jpeg

The only way to install it is to drill this hole out bigger and cut the wire and splice it back together. This will look like shit and and void your gram warranty.
The best solution is the Garmin Ebike controller which uses no wires
4AF93BDA-B156-4B6D-B915-2A639F5B08E4.jpeg

Garmin eBike Remote | Garmin

It does have a walk button, but you’d be amazed by how little you would actually use this feature.

There is no aftermarket part number for the Specialized remote to add it to anything else
Funny image. Thanks Al Boneta, is it expensive to do? Also will this make it better or on par with the Revelation RC fork? Oh out of curiosity if u increase the travel at both ends at the same time could u keep the geometry and ride feel of the bike? Say 180 on the front and 165 at the rear? Or is that getting silly expensive?

Al Boneta

Dark Rider
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
California
It will cost around £300 if my conversion is right.
Changing the rear wheel travel is much more complicated and only really worth it if you plan on hanging on to the bike for a while

ShaneV34

Aug 13, 2018
Brisbane, Australia
It will cost around £300 if my conversion is right.
Changing the rear wheel travel is much more complicated and only really worth it if you plan on hanging on to the bike for a while
Thanks Al Boneta. That’s cheaper than I thought it would be, the conversion to Aussie dollars is still under $600 so well worth it. Puts the base model at $6900. The Levo comp Carbon is $8900 locally!! But the brakes will also need to be upgraded!! At the cost of a EMTB I will be holding on to it at least until the battery dies!! Minimum 3 years before I can convince the wife to let me buy another one!!

Pendo

Jun 13, 2018
Australia
This isn’t accurate.
The 2018 has a bigger opening on the frame for the plug of the handlebar controller to fit through.
View attachment 4023
2018 Frame
View attachment 4024
2017 and older frames only have a hole small enough to fit one cable for a dropper post.
View attachment 4025
The only way to install it is to drill this hole out bigger and cut the wire and splice it back together. This will look like shit and and void your gram warranty.
The best solution is the Garmin Ebike controller which uses no wires
View attachment 4026
Garmin eBike Remote | Garmin

It does have a walk button, but you’d be amazed by how little you would actually use this feature.

There is no aftermarket part number for the Specialized remote to add it to anything else

Hi Al
I didn't run the cable through the frame (didn't want to drill a hole and void warranty) so I bought some cable mounts with sticky backs and used those. So the cable runs from the handle bars, down the frame past the drink bottle, and into the plastic cover on the non drive side. Just used a dremel on the plastic cover to make room for the cable. cheers

Al Boneta

Dark Rider
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
California
Hi Al
I didn't run the cable through the frame (didn't want to drill a hole and void warranty) so I bought some cable mounts with sticky backs and used those. So the cable runs from the handle bars, down the frame past the drink bottle, and into the plastic cover on the non drive side. Just used a dremel on the plastic cover to make room for the cable. cheers
The photos in my post were taken as I was removing a faulty Specialized controller this morning. My customer has had the bike for eight days and we installed the Garmin remote off her old Levo.

Since the Levo has internal cables it would look kind of amateurish to me to run the wire outside the frame, so it never occurred to me that anyone would do it that way. Cheers

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles