2 year old Mondraker owner. That won't start after 4 months!

brookski7

Aug 15, 2022
Chesterfield
Hey Guys,
New to the forum, getting back into eMTB after a 4 month lay out due to a broken hip (3 pins inserted).
Anyway, the Mondraker was left during this time with an 80% internal and external battery charge. So I've given both the external and internal batteries a good over night charge so they are at 100%. I've come to press the satellite on/off switch and it won't turn on. Nothing, zipp, nothing on the display, no blue light on the power. The bike has done about 800 miles and been very well looked after. It has been stored in a temperature controlled garage.

For info, to get at the internal battery I need to remove the motor so not easy to get at, nor can I see the internal batteries power switch or LED's.

The charger is red when charging a battery and goes solid green when the batteries are fully charged.

Things I've tried:
1. plugged it back in to see if the satellite on/off button needed additional charge in situ. (7 hours). Didn't work.
2. Tried starting by pressing the power on the external battery and then the satellite button. Nothing
3. 'Hard start', on the satellite on/off button for well over a minute. bugger all response. (with both batteries connected and just the internal)
4. 2 x shortish presses on the satellite on/off. Nothing.
5. Unable to do any firmware updates/checks via e-tube project as it won't connect to blue tooth as I can't power it up.
6. I've wrote to Mondraker, asking for help, no response.
7. I've wrote to MTB Monster (albeit this morning) no response.

I'm wondering if the satellite switch battery is completely dead and gone after fully discharging and is refusing to accept charge. Any help, suggestions or tips would be greatly received.

brookski7

Aug 15, 2022
Chesterfield
Not sure as it's integrated into the frame, but that will be the next step. (take it all to bits) I had read that the switch battery is rechargeable...

brookski7

Aug 15, 2022
Chesterfield
Yes thanks i have read this one, although similar its not quite the same. There is no way to turn on the internal battery without the satellite switch or removal of the motor. A rather poorly designed bit of kit.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Yes thanks i have read this one, although similar its not quite the same. There is no way to turn on the internal battery without the satellite switch or removal of the motor. A rather poorly designed bit of kit.
If the on/off switch is purely a switch there would be no reason to set up a charging circuit for it from the main battery. Any battery in it is merely powering a back light.............in which case it will have a penny type battery. Another thing you could check is whether there is an pin hole in the down tube perhaps protected by a rubber plug that gives access to the main battery on off button with something like an allen key.........some down tube enclosed bikes have that even if the battery is removeable so that you can power on that battery without removing it from the rest of the components. If so and you can power on the bike by switching the main battery on it would prove the remote on off switch either has a flat battery or is faulty.

brookski7

Aug 15, 2022
Chesterfield
I found the dealer setup docs for the e8000 steps system. The satellie on off switch is charged along with the internal battery and takes 2 hours to fully charge. If the internsl battery is fully charged then the charging stops for the satellie switch. So as i have a fully charged battery now the satellite switch cant be charged. It can however be charged via the E-tube app on a pc connected via the wires leading to the power unit. So as my bike was left in the garage due to injury whilst the internal battery didnt discharge the satellite battery did. When i stuck it on charge the internal battery charged too quick for the Satellite switch to get its 2hours. Trip to JE James required to plug in via PC charge it and hopefully upgrade firmware on this poor design.

brookski7

Aug 15, 2022
Chesterfield
Update on the zero power problem: The bike has been at JE James Chesterfield for 10 days or so (who have been very helpful) and they have upgraded the firmware and attempted to inject some life into the power button via the E-Tube app and links via PC. Still nothing. The next step is to check the internally mounted battery (Motor out affair) to see if there is an issue with the 'Simplo' battery. Unfortunately as they are not a Mondraker dealership they do not have a spare in stock, so I'm taking it 118 bikes in Hope to swap this out/run diagnostics and see what the devil is wrong with the bloody 5K brick. I really am hoping that its not a battery issue as the bike has been lightly used, well looked after and stored correctly. Typical as it just out of warranty.........i'll update accordingly once we have a fix.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
If the satellite switch has a battery which is charged by the main battery then surely that satellite battery can be changed. Maybe make some enquiries about replacement battery for the satellite switch?

brookski7

Aug 15, 2022
Chesterfield
Update: Got the bike back a few weeks ago. It turned out to be a faulty charging port. We were waiting for a diagnostic tool to be sent from Mondraker HQ. They ended up sending loads of spares and the guys at 18bikes figured it was the port. Took ages for Mondarker to actually send anything and they need to up their customer support/ after sales service. Still dissapointed that a pretty basic part has failed after little over 2 years. Anyway back on the baby now so all good.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles