2 months old and outdated already

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
North West Northumberland
Of course you will, after all the bike is basically tubes bolted together with a few bearings hoyed in for good measure. Oh and a motor…..don’t over think the upgrade carry on ?
Just rip ya bike.
I was out one day on my 2 month old Whyte E-150 RS and then The Hodge rolled by with his shiny (matt actually) new E-160 RS…….I don’t feel my bike is old school just yet ?
Love the fact that youve used the word "hoyed"..you have probably got a few of our international brothers & sisters scratching their heads at its meaning ..?..
Of course your bike is outdated Ive got 10mm more than you ...?
Screenshot_20210902-041026_Chrome.jpg

GrahamPaul

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Nov 6, 2019
Andalucía
.....if it aint broke leave it alone! Given the E bike industry experience of electronics and software comms there is no way I would risk OTA software updates .........if I was interested in any updates that is!

We were talking over coffee about this yesterday during a break in our morning run.

Our LBS went through the expense of the Bosch training and software installation a couple of months ago. After thinking about how he'd been royally shafted by Bosch, the consensus was that there was no way that folks splashing that amount of cash would risk bricking their motors with a flakey Bluetooth connection. Given the likely error levels, we think his business will increase, not decrease ?

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
We were talking over coffee about this yesterday during a break in our morning run.

Our LBS went through the expense of the Bosch training and software installation a couple of months ago. After thinking about how he'd been royally shafted by Bosch, the consensus was that there was no way that folks splashing that amount of cash would risk bricking their motors with a flakey Bluetooth connection. Given the likely error levels, we think his business will increase, not decrease ?
Agreed.....I referenced experience with Gopro. All of the Gopro updates are done OTA and it led to numerous examples of Gopros left totally disabled. They sorted it eventually by implementing 1 very basic principle of software update process .....that being the new software version is totally downloaded to the device before any changes to existing firmware is enabled. In addition Gopro now only uses Blutooth to establish a connection. It then sets up a private WiFi link and that is what is used for the file transfer. The WiFi link is far more stable than Bluetooth will ever be. When I see bike brands adopting this sort of approach I may have more confidence .

Tim1023

Aug 25, 2020
Hamburg, Germany
Ahh, the good days, with US Robotics.... 9600!!! 1 month later: 12.8!!! Then, 14.4!!! Then, miracle! "X2" (28.8). Then - unbelievable - 56.6!!!! and all of it within a year or so :)
Yup. Do you remember when the standard V.Fast with a whopping 28.8 kbit/s came out?

"That's going to age quickly", I thought at the time. A bit like Windows NT (New Technology).

RickBullotta

Jun 5, 2019
USA
The 5010 is the best mtb Ive ever ridden ..bar none ..I was fortunate enough to borrow one for a week while my own bike was in for repair ..I couldnt quite stretch to affording one when the time came to replace my Nomad ..but the T130rs came very close at about 1k less ..

Same here - my 2017 Hightower is my favorite bike to ride. I used to rotate bikes too often - and I feel so dialed on my HT that I have zero interest in something else at this point.

Yoak

Apr 5, 2020
Norway
I just got a new Rail. Thought the Kiox would be cool. I find it wore off pretty quickly. I miss the simplicity of the Purion on my old rail. I don’t use any of the features. The only thing I like better is the battery % instead of bars. I even managed to kick the Kiox off and drop it in a river while crossing it. Luckily I found it after a few seconds. If it was a new lighter and more powerful motor I would have been a bit annoyed, but the rest I don’t care about

BiGJZ74

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Mar 17, 2021
American Canyon, CA
I worked in the computer networking industry in the 90s*. Practically every network and computer technology was overtaken every six months.

Fun times!

*When I started, a modem was a big box that you sold separately!
I still remember my first 600 baud modem.....

Tamas

Founding Member
Jan 22, 2018
Hungary/Bosnia and Herzegovina
I have an ancient 2018 Commencal Meta Power with external battery. Great geo, great components and it's the same feeling to ride it today as it was in 2018. I still don't feel the need to upgrade it. I tried plenty of other bikes and they were not any better for me. Just enjoy what you have...

hainman

Apr 8, 2021
Glasgow
I have a 2020 Bosch and just had the latest upgrade
As far as I’m aware the Bosch motor is identical in terms of how it works,different plugs for different kiox display
Only thing I would Mibbe be miffed about is the bigger battery but then it means more weight,Am no blessed with big ass strength and lifting these beasts over fences or gates is a killer
So I want less weight,all my mates either ride similar powered motors and batteries so no real reason for the extra 125wh and added weight
Mibbe jn a year or so I’ll renew my bike but I reckon for a lighter one not heavier

cabbynate

Sep 30, 2019
Las Vegas NV
Besides, most bikes which are designed are relatively future-proof anyway.
I'm still rocking my 2018 Levo FSR with 2500miles on the original motor. And my other eebs (2019 Kenevo Expert x2 & Levo Hardtail 2019) are still going strong.

In addition, they guys at Whyte aren't stupid. They've built their eebs knowing that Bosch would develop their system further.

I'm sure Guy Kesteven even commented on this on his review
I'm with you. My 2018 Focus Jam2 pro plus is still going strong and I still have a ton of fun riding it. If someone were trying to keep up with the latest and greatest they would spend more time buying and selling instead of riding. Riding and having fun is what it's all about. At least for me it is..

aimage

Jul 8, 2021
New Zealand
I only bought my Trek Rail 9 a few months ago, its in for a new motor already and battery has also fallen out at speed. I could get my money back but when they say the new system will be available on bikes this year, it could still be 12-18 months before its available in your store on the 2023 model you want in your size. I don't want to wait til then.

Manc44

Jun 22, 2021
Manchester
I think too many of us see these tiny changes and presume what we have is "out of date" when in the real world, they're just alternatives and not advancements.

This is a great point. Companies keep bringing out new stuff and spend millions on marketing it, when the chance of there being any real world benefit is completely random. We're going to get the exact same marketing tactics for something that's hardly an upgrade (or even a step backwards slightly!) as we are for things that genuinely improve the product - because they just do the same marketing the whole time, for anything and everything. This can create buyers remorse where it's not applicable.

1oldfart

Oct 6, 2019
Outdoors
It s marketing. Write 2023 on your Ebike and make idiots envy you.
Different systems, battery size = different prices like cars and regular bikes.
You should find an Ebike that works and is reliable and stop reading
RIDE

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles