Levo Gen 3 165mm travel shock for gen3 levo?

pontoon

Apr 24, 2023
USA
Hey all,

Which shock should I get for my gen3 levo carbon comp? Im building a totally custom levo. I’m thinking of getting A 230x65mm shock, probably air. The current plan is to pair this with a cascade components long travel link.

I initially wanted a Fox Float x2, but have been reading they require frequent service due to leaking air. I suppose the specialized frame design doesn’t play well with the Fox Float x2?

Does the RockShox Super Deluxe RC2t have the same problem?

I’m also considering an Öhlins coil shock, but I get the sense that a coil shock is unnecessary where I’ll be riding. I mostly see air shocks. I’m a bit concerned the coil shock may bounce more than the air shock when pedaling

What shock would you pick? Fox and RockShox are the same price in the US where I’m at.

I like the idea of the Fox adjustability and Kashima, if all other things were equal, I would pick the fox.

Also fox is coming out with a new rear x2 shock in 2024. Anyone know if they’re improving the reliability?

Last edited:

pontoon

Apr 24, 2023
USA
I went with an Ohlins TTX2-Air and I'm very happy with it so far. Still early days
Thanks for the feedback. That’s what I’m leaning towards, with a fox factory 38e up front.

What fork are you using?

Oakhills

Jul 27, 2022
Oakland, California
Fox is replacing any warranty X2’s with the 2024 model since later March, according to another forum. So I hope my X2 will blow, or get the sloshy sound so I will be upgraded to the newest version!

pontoon

Apr 24, 2023
USA
Fox is replacing any warranty X2’s with the 2024 model since later March, according to another forum. So I hope my X2 will blow, or get the sloshy sound so I will be upgraded to the newest version!
And here I was getting settled on the idea of a coil! Maybe it’s worth waiting for the 2024 Float X2, which Fox told me will be available in July. Tough call…

Baron

Nov 2, 2018
UK
I went with an Ohlins TTX2-Air and I'm very happy with it so far. Still early days
I had Ohlins on my gen2 then when I changed to gen3 I tried my best to love the X2 but it was pants. Now back on Ohlins coil and it’s a perfect match with Fox 38 Factory.

pontoon

Apr 24, 2023
USA
I ended up getting a 2023 rockshox super deluxe ultimate rc2t coil.

I called Ohlins to ask a question about my cart, left a message, and they didn’t pick up. I like the idea of the steel shaft, and the bling

In any case, the rockshox claims to be more durable for 2023, so we’ll see. It does have an aluminum shaft. The rockshox has more features than the Ohlins afaik anyway. Rockshox has HBO, which is a nice feature, especially on a linkage that’s not the most progressive

I’m pairing the shock with a MRP coil (and spacer) since the MRP spring is quite a bit lighter

Brianjonesphoto

Patreon
Oct 8, 2018
Seattle USA
Bomber CR coil. It’s a fox DHX with the climb switch missing. Simple, reliable, and oh so nice riding! Not to mention the price is right.
Keep in mind the Fox coils have had issues with yoke bikes and Fox has stated several time there will be no warranty support is used on a Levo. The problem could be made worse with a longer stroke shock.

Personally I’d be going with one of the new super delux coils with the hydraulic bottom out. 90% of an E-storia at half the price. My 2019 super delux coils has done pretty well on 2 yoke style bikes with my 114kg giving it hell.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles