Levo Gen 2 12spd SX/NX/GX Eagle

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 14, 2019
Norfolk
got you!!! Honestly I think the 11/50 with the 34 up front will already do what I want. Normally I ride only trails with my Levo but a couple of weeks ago my wife wanted to ride a paved trail that is like 18 miles and my back was still sore from my Tahoe trail (it sucks to get older) so I took the Levo and one higher gear would have made a world of difference, so this setup will probably give me that and even a slightly better crawl setup!!

I'm after similar. Should I be able to increase my cadence on the climbs, then I'm hoping to see some slight range extension also..

Flafyre

Jul 25, 2020
Just did an AXS 12 speed EShift upgrade along with 36T Chainring and Industry Nine 360 Wheelset and 8120 4 Piston XT brakes! Rails like a Porsche now

thumbnail (56).jpg

thumbnail (57).jpg

Benson

Sep 19, 2018
Hampshire UK
I’ve upgraded my 2019 Levo to full GX Eagle as I felt the factory 11 speed SRAM groupset was just unbearably clunky, even being really careful with shifting under load it still made a hell of a racket. However, GX Eagle is just as bad, no better in fact.

I’ve always been an SRAM fanboy, I have full AXS Eagle on my two analogue bikes and it works great, but my next Levo upgrade is going to be Shimano XT.

Cavi

Jun 15, 2020
California, usa
I honestly also am a SRAM person, I have always felt they downshift under load better than Shimano, much louder but they at least do shift....

salko

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Aug 29, 2019
SLO
I’ve upgraded my 2019 Levo to full GX Eagle as I felt the factory 11 speed SRAM groupset was just unbearably clunky, even being really careful with shifting under load it still made a hell of a racket. However, GX Eagle is just as bad, no better in fact.

I’ve always been an SRAM fanboy, I have full AXS Eagle on my two analogue bikes and it works great, but my next Levo upgrade is going to be Shimano XT.
I think you have problem somewhere else, my GX 1x11 anx NX cassette work just fine, shifts nicely with no clunks.

Benson

Sep 19, 2018
Hampshire UK
I think you have problem somewhere else, my GX 1x11 anx NX cassette work just fine, shifts nicely with no clunks.

Nah, they all clunk. Perhaps it depends on your miles, individual tolerance or the type of riding you do, and it’s true I don’t yet know that Shimano is any better, but the extra torque makes Eagle shift like a tractor on an eBike.

Benson

Sep 19, 2018
Hampshire UK
I honestly also am a SRAM person, I have always felt they downshift under load better than Shimano, much louder but they at least do shift....

Not tried Shimano yet so that may well be the case. Going to give it a try though just to scratch the itch. A friend of mine recently bought an eBike with SLX and even that seems to shift better than GX Eagle on an eBike.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Nah, they all clunk. Perhaps it depends on your miles, individual tolerance or the type of riding you do, and it’s true I don’t yet know that Shimano is any better, but the extra torque makes Eagle shift like a tractor on an eBike.
I always back off the power when I shift. I'm an engineer (well, used to be) and I always have had mechanical sympathy. So I shudder when you state "the extra torque makes Eagle shift like a tractor on an eBike". Because I back off the power, the fact it's an ebike makes no difference to the shifting.
But then I do not race in events, so I have never had any motivation to shift under power. In fact with an ebike, if I really, really must shift under power, I shift mode instead.

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 14, 2019
Norfolk
I always back off the power when I shift. I'm an engineer (well, used to be) and I always have had mechanical sympathy. So I shudder when you state "the extra torque makes Eagle shift like a tractor on an eBike". Because I back off the power, the fact it's an ebike makes no difference to the shifting.
But then I do not race in events, so I have never had any motivation to shift under power. In fact with an ebike, if I really, really must shift under power, I shift mode instead.

Do not race? Clearly you've never followed yourself around Pines @steve_sordy :p

I concur with your shifting practices. Banging through any transmission, only signifies poor usage techniques..

Benson

Sep 19, 2018
Hampshire UK

Again, it depends how you ride. I too ride with mechanical empathy and am hyper conscious of not changing under load but it’s impossible to do so ALL of the time unless all you’re doing is pottering around fireroads. Even with carefully timed shifts, ebikes and analogue bikes do shift differently with Eagle (I have three bikes running Eagle at present).

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Again, it depends how you ride. I too ride with mechanical empathy and am hyper conscious of not changing under load but it’s impossible to do so ALL of the time unless all you’re doing is pottering around fireroads. Even with carefully timed shifts, ebikes and analogue bikes do shift differently with Eagle (I have three bikes running Eagle at present).
I agree, it does depend upon how you ride.
I've had 7, 9, 10, 11, and 12-speed. Nothing unusual about that of course. I've never snapped a chain, peeled a side plate, or lost a chain and jammed it into the frame either. (I suspect that there is also little unusual about that either). When I had 12-speed it was Eagle X01 on one bike and I was so pleased with it that I converted my other bike from Shimano 2x10 to SRAM 12-speed, mostly GX. Again, I had zero problems with either. I got stellar chain life with Eagle 12-speed, it changed my expectations about what was possible. :) The one big thing I discovered with 12-speed was that the mech hanger had to be spot on (not just close enough), otherwise impeccable shifting was most unlikely. After several alignment adjustments by my LBS, I bought a Park Tool Mech hanger alignment & adjustment tool and set it bang on, not just within +/-3mm. End of niggling shifting problems. I had to do that on both bikes.

Even at my advanced age I don't potter about on fire roads; I have done my time on rough trails in the Peaks, the Alps and that Welsh downhill bike park, Antur Stiniog (never again on a light trail bike! Yikes!) And I never damaged a chain even when getting the occasional clunky shift through my own incompetence.

I let a mate of mine borrow my 3x9 hardtail once. He is a lot lighter than me and yet he not only snapped the chain within the first half hour, but so badly damaged it that I had to remove six links from it to get him going. The chain was now too short to engage the big ring, and the granny ring was too badly bent to use and had to be replaced later. The frame was badly gouged too. He said he was sorry (So that's all right then). The punishment was that he had to do the rest of the ride on the middle ring alone. He said it was tough. (Good!) :sick:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles