Levo Gen 2 12spd SX/NX/GX Eagle

Mcharza

E*POWAH BOSS
Aug 10, 2018
Helsinki, Finland
Haven't done it to eMTB, but I changed to normal MTB Shimano's 12 speed XT. Cassette, chain, derailleur and shifter, it was before that full Sram NX. What a different, like night and day. Very good upgrade.

Reactions: 118

mtbchris

Dec 2, 2019
San Diego, CA
I recently switched. Got the push to go eagle after i blew a motor mid trail. I already had a spare derailleur so all i had to do was get the cassette and shifter which i got for less than $200. Well worth it

• Hot

salko

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Aug 29, 2019
SLO
I agree that SRAM NX and SX range is pretty much crap, except Eagle NX 11-50T cassette which is the only one from Eagle series which is emtb-rated and even fits Shimano standard freehub, but it's quite heavy so if you are looking for each gramm then this is not for you. I wanted to avoid any cassettes which needs XD driver as this design is weaker than standard Shimano HG driver.
SRAM starts to be decent with GX range. At first I also planned to convert my Levo to Shimano 12spd, but I found out that my freehub cannot be converted to Shimano Microspline so investment in new proper (stronger) freehub or new wheelset was looking quite high so at the end I decided to upgrade to Sram Eagle. I bought GX derailleur, NX cassete (so I can keep existing Shimano freehub), X01 e-mtb shifter and X01 chain. I plan to install this in about a week or two, will let you know how it goes.

• Hot

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 14, 2019
Norfolk
Thanks for your replies.. I currently running the stock, SRAM XG-1175, 11-speed, 10-42t, 32T front ring. My mtb, is on Eagle and riding with a few buddies, their eBikes are also sporting Eagle GX. Whilst mine isn't in need of an immediate replacement, I'm toying with the plan to go Eagle, on the Levo... In my mind, I'll be likely to achieve a higher cadence, hence hopefully a tad more range, even though, I've wound it all back within the MC.

Weight, isn't a specific issue. That aside, I'm reading that there's very little difference between NX and GX other than cost. I don't know anything about SX, so I'm guessing that's the entry level spec? :unsure:

Also, would this upgrade favour a 34T chainring, to get the most out of the cassette?

Thoughts?

Mcharza

E*POWAH BOSS
Aug 10, 2018
Helsinki, Finland
Here's a weight differences of Sram groups. If it helps
1598290682776.png

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I had Eagle XO1 on my Whyte T130 analogue and loved it. I converted my YT Capra analogue from 2x10 to GX Eagle. I could not tell the difference when riding. Crisp shifting, no problems at all.

• Hot

Cavi

Jun 15, 2020
California, usa
I agree that SRAM NX and SX range is pretty much crap, except Eagle NX 11-50T cassette which is the only one from Eagle series which is emtb-rated and even fits Shimano standard freehub, but it's quite heavy so if you are looking for each gramm then this is not for you. I wanted to avoid any cassettes which needs XD driver as this design is weaker than standard Shimano HG driver.
SRAM starts to be decent with GX range. At first I also planned to convert my Levo to Shimano 12spd, but I found out that my freehub cannot be converted to Shimano Microspline so investment in new proper (stronger) freehub or new wheelset was looking quite high so at the end I decided to upgrade to Sram Eagle. I bought GX derailleur, NX cassete (so I can keep existing Shimano freehub), X01 e-mtb shifter and X01 chain. I plan to install this in about a week or two, will let you know how it goes.
how much feel difference between the GX shifter is there to the X01 shifter?

Cavi

Jun 15, 2020
California, usa
You guys are all in trouble, my wife is going to be pi#### at all of you for convincing me to upgrade to 12 speed......... Just pulled the trigger
Ordered the GX shifter and Der., the X01 chain and the NX casette, and a Raceface 34 tooth chainring.....

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 14, 2019
Norfolk
You guys are all in trouble, my wife is going to be pi#### at all of you for convincing me to upgrade to 12 speed......... Just pulled the trigger
Ordered the GX shifter and Der., the X01 chain and the NX casette, and a Raceface 34 tooth chainring.....

Keep us posted, when you've got it all installed with a few rides under your belt....

I'm still toying with the whole idea, however as my freehub is XD, and I'm unsure if the GX cassette, is strong enough for what i'm riding..?

Shjay

Apr 30, 2019
Kent
I am happy with 10speed on ebike Saint shifter with slx analogue bike 12speed XX1 with XTR shifter, 10 speed but harder wearing for extra power from ebike

• Agree
Reactions: iXi

Cavi

Jun 15, 2020
California, usa
I agree, but if I go 12 speed with 11/50 on the back and 34 up front I will still get a slight bump in climbing power and a good bump in top speed

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 14, 2019
Norfolk
Sorry wasn’t to clear for you to understand
Don’t need more than 10speed on ebikes, 10 speed longer wearing than 12

You was, however my original question, was about SRAM 12 speed.

I agree, but if I go 12 speed with 11/50 on the back and 34 up front I will still get a slight bump in climbing power and a good bump in top speed

My thoughts entirely. Climbing power, although I'm not too fussed about top end speed.
However my existing hub is a XD, so I'd have to go, full GX, where as the NX, is the only one that SRAM specifies as suited to an ebike. What I'd save on the NX, I'd have to spend on a different freehub.

So again, I'm back to question of, is GX 12 speed Eagle, eBike compatible :unsure:

salko

Aug 29, 2019
SLO
AFAIK no cassette for XD freehub is specifically ebike rated, but ebike manufacturers are still putting them as stock on ebikes...

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 14, 2019
Norfolk
AFAIK no cassette for XD freehub is specifically ebike rated, but ebike manufacturers are still putting them as stock on ebikes...

So my current cassette, a SRAM XG-1175, 11-speed, 10-42T is just a 'regular' cassette?

salko

Aug 29, 2019
SLO
So my current cassette, a SRAM XG-1175, 11-speed, 10-42T is just a 'regular' cassette?
Well yes.
Although many selling sites still uses description "The PG-1230 is the only Eagle™ cassette that meets SRAM's durability requirements for E-MTB applications." for NX Eagle cassette Sram has apparentelly updated their E-MTB compatibility list in last year or two and added some XD driver cassettes of the higher end range on this list, see here: https://www.sram.com/globalassets/d...a-2021-e-mtb-components-compatibility-map.pdf

Shjay

Apr 30, 2019
Kent
Anything with 10 in ie 10-42 10-50 is XD freehub 11-42, -11-46 is shimano
For Sram 12 speed I run XTR shifter with XX1 rear derailleur works well & can double down shift but it’s on my analogue bike so less stress through cranks

Cavi

Jun 15, 2020
California, usa
Now I am slightly confused, is the NX casette I ordered a direct swap for my stock 11 speed or not? I was under the impression that the NX was a direct retrofit

salko

Aug 29, 2019
SLO
You have SRAM PG-1130 cassete as stock, so NX Eagle cassette will fit.

• Agree

Cavi

Jun 15, 2020
California, usa
got you!!! Honestly I think the 11/50 with the 34 up front will already do what I want. Normally I ride only trails with my Levo but a couple of weeks ago my wife wanted to ride a paved trail that is like 18 miles and my back was still sore from my Tahoe trail (it sucks to get older) so I took the Levo and one higher gear would have made a world of difference, so this setup will probably give me that and even a slightly better crawl setup!!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles