• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

Answered 11s shifting with 12s derailleur?

jpaulo.emtb

Sep 12, 2018
Portugal
Hi,
Can i setup a 11s drivetrains but use the Shimano Deore RD-M6100 12Speed derailleur instead as 11Speed derailleur?

The 11s derailleur are sould out.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
The derailleur follows the instructions from the shifter, so it will move accordingly. That's good, but...
When I first fitted a 12-speed derailleur I had all sorts of problems with it. It was definitely a different design to all the other speeds I had fitted.

Some questions.
  • Will an 11-speed chain pass through the 12-speed derailleur? I don't know, but I suspect it will not flow well.
  • Is the total horizontal movement of the derailleurs compatible. The 12s has to be at least as large as 11s. May be OK.
  • From memory, the 12-speed jockey wheels are larger diameters than 11-speed and I don't know what impact that may have on clearance with the cassette.
I would have more confidence in buying a 10-speed derailleur. You still need to do some basic checks though. Get the right length mech arm for ex

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
12 speed shimano deore derailleurs use a different cable pull ratio to 11 speed shimano deore derailleurs so no they are not interchangable (according to Shimano)..
10 speed deore pull ratio is very close to 11 so a 10 speed deore M4100 mech will work. just not the absolute perfect match.

I'm not sure why Steve has decided to confuse you even more by asking lots of barely relevant questions he doesn't know the answer to.. old age I think ;)

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
12 speed shimano deore derailleurs use a different cable pull ratio to 11 speed shimano deore derailleurs so no they are not interchangable (according to Shimano)..
10 speed deore pull ratio is very close to 11 so a 10 speed deore M4100 mech will work. just not the absolute perfect match.

I'm not sure why Steve has decided to confuse you even more by asking lots of barely relevant questions he doesn't know the answer to.. old age I think ;)
I was quite clear that I didn't know, but that I wanted to know the answers. Besides, I was nearly correct, but not necessarily for the right reasons! :)
If I only ever posted when I was certifiably 100% guaranteed to be correct, then where's the fun in that? :ROFLMAO:

jpaulo.emtb

Sep 12, 2018
Portugal
I think you are right!!! The price diference between the 11s drivetrain and 12s was minimal. So I bought the Deore 12s from the same price of a shimano 11s. I'm very happy with the performance. But now i have to replace the out cable of the derailleur.

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles