Öhlins RXF 36 29/27.5+ and 27.5” Air Fork Recall

jwrx

Jul 22, 2018
Malaysia
They don’t even give a date. So is this a new recall.? I just bought my bike couple weeks ago. It’s a pity if it’s affected. I’ll keep riding until they call me in to replace it.
i only saw this posted by Spez FB today

Paul Mac

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Subscriber
Jul 9, 2018
Uk
Looks like the date on the recall notice is from February, did this ever happen, I've had no recall notice for my ohlins forks

VaseLEVO

Aug 20, 2018
Arlington, VA, USA
Looks like the date on the recall notice is from February, did this ever happen, I've had no recall notice for my ohlins forks
Thats why I think its new and that february date is for the other recall update not the FXR-36. I had mine two weeks now and was just in the shop and heard nothing of it. Why can't they just date it so we know? They printed it right? Its not like its a secret.

Paul Mac

Patreon
Subscriber
Jul 9, 2018
Uk
shop sent my wife fork back to ohlins about 3 weeks ago. still haven't seen it.
That's what scares me, although my fork has now developed a small knock, so guess it will have to go back ?

njn

Founding Member
Mar 14, 2018
USA
"Specifically, the right-side top cap on some forks may not be adequately torqued, which in some cases, may lead to the top cap working itself free through riding."

Stick a wrench on it to see if it's tight to spec. That's all that's needed. No need to send the fork out.

Do these fork not have volume spacers? I had my Lyrik top cap off a few times to make adjustments.

Paul Mac

Patreon
Subscriber
Jul 9, 2018
Uk
"Specifically, the right-side top cap on some forks may not be adequately torqued, which in some cases, may lead to the top cap working itself free through riding."

Stick a wrench on it to see if it's tight to spec. That's all that's needed. No need to send the fork out.

Do these fork not have volume spacers? I had my Lyrik top cap off a few times to make adjustments.
Exactly, there is no way they are replacing a fork just because a nut hasn't been torque properly

hjscm

Founding Member
Mar 22, 2018
Bay area ca
mine was leaking. they sent the parts to shop and it didn't work. so ohlins told shop to send fork in cause there is a recall on it. Not sure why but know i have not had it for 4 weeks.

VaseLEVO

Aug 20, 2018
Arlington, VA, USA
mine was leaking. they sent the parts to shop and it didn't work. so ohlins told shop to send fork in cause there is a recall on it. Not sure why but know i have not had it for 4 weeks.

This is terrible news. Sounds like they don’t even have supply of forks. There is no point taking the fork nd leaving you with no bike to ride fir weeks. How bout send your dealer. Fork then get you in for. Swap?

Paul Mac

Patreon
Subscriber
Jul 9, 2018
Uk
Checked my right side top cap today, it was nearly unwound all the way out!
I have re tightened it, but he fact ohlins are working on a fix says to me it will just come loose again
Spoke to my local Specialized dealer today and there still is not a fix for it yet, so don't want give my fork in and potentially be without a bike for months

JayB

Apr 7, 2018
South Carolina, USA
Checked my right side top cap today, it was nearly unwound all the way out!
I have re tightened it, but he fact ohlins are working on a fix says to me it will just come loose again
Spoke to my local Specialized dealer today and there still is not a fix for it yet, so don't want give my fork in and potentially be without a bike for months
Paul, Im assuming it is the right side of the fork as you are looking from sitting on the bike? I have a 2 month old Turbo Levo S-Works with this Ohlins shock. Dealer notified me yesterday, looking at this thread today..

Paul Mac

Patreon
Subscriber
Jul 9, 2018
Uk
Yes it is the right side as you are sat on the bike, one with the gold top.
I had to let all the air out of the top valve so that the cap wouldn't be under pressure and was amazed when I saw how loose it was!
I cant see how these things can come undone when they are under pressure all the time.

khorn

Patreon
Jul 19, 2018
Denmark
If it was my fork I would loosen it a bit, apply a bit of locktite and then torque it down to proper spec and carry on riding while checking it frequently. 4 out of 17.000 forks had the issue so probably more dangerous to cross the street on a green light ?

Karsten

Paul Mac

Patreon
Subscriber
Jul 9, 2018
Uk
That's 4 that have actually come right out, but I checked mine and it was very loose, there may be thousands more the same as mine that just have not come out all the way yet.
But I stand by my original statement, if all it is, is a cap that needs torqueing down properly, Ohlins would just say take to your dealer and get it tightened.
But they are not saying that and are working on a fix?
I bet the actual threads have been machined wrong and it will undo again even after tightening.

73Steff

E*POWAH Master
Sep 11, 2018
Haslemere Surrey
They are doing the right thing and I’m sure covering themselves legally incase someone looses an eyebrow! Checked the three sets of Air forks and all mine are fine, sure there will some loose but I’d say keys is to check over before you ride.....or play uber safe and don’t ride :(

davosaurusrex

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Apr 21, 2018
Worthing
Typical, I sold my clockwork bike with a pair of RXF 34s on Monday! Just messaged the buyer, I bet he'll be thrilled....

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles