Zwift. What do I need?

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
So I'd like to get into Zwift and training at home for after school times in the evenings when I cant get out (kids and stuff!).

I am thinking of a Wahoo Kickr Core.

I'm a total noob at this, does it work with a regular MTB? Would I benefit from getting a el cheapo road bike? Obvs wont be using the Eeb on in!

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
:eek: Noooooooo..... Not another good guy lost to Zwift ;)

Almost all turbos will work with a regular mtb and slick/turbo tyres (thru axles can be an issue though). The main reason to use a road bike is position/gearing but it's not essential and probably not worth getting one unless you're quite serious about your training/Zwift racing.
Many friends have/had Zwift set-ups so I can ask their recommendations on turbos for you.
Other than maybe the dongle you'll no doubt have everything electronic required already

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
EMTB Zwifiting - now that would be interesting
97JTiu.gif

;)

Jojo10

Sep 27, 2018
Germany
Hello Rob

I started with Zwift this winter.
I bought the cheapest trainer possible for Zwift (Elite Qubo Digital Smart B+), works great.
You can use it with all wheel sizes. There is also a MTB training tire and a thru axles adapter. So MTB on the trainer should work. You need a bike with powermeter for calibration process. After that, its precise enough and good to go.
But you have to think about, which hardware you want to use.
I tried an old Windows PC, doesn't work, too low performance. Than I bought an AppleTV, horrible usability, but it works. I think best would be an IPAD with an additional big screen.
For the Apple TV you can only pair three bluetooth devices Remote, Heart rate and the trainer for example. The cadence is than calculated out of the power training signal which is very unprecise and laggy but also not so important for the training.
If you want to pair more devices or even ANT+ devices you need a ANT+ to Bluetooth "bridge" like www.amazon.com/CABLE-Connect-ANT-to-BLE/dp/B071S929ZC .
And you need a big fan!

After the setup stress its challenging and a lot of fun. I use the interval training sessions a lot.

If you have more questions....

Bye

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
You’ll need some Crocs as well, just to let all the dignity drain out.

ChrisB NZ

Aug 21, 2018
Auckland, New Zealand
Hey Rob. I use Zwift with a Wahoo Kickr. I use an old 26" 3x9 speed HT MTB dedicated to the Kickr. This works fine but it's difficult to stand up and pedal due to the suspension bob. But this isn't really a problem as I remain seated and get a good work out. A road bike may be better but not essential IMO.

I use an ANT+ dongle on the end of a USB extension cable connected to a mid-level desktop PC with a reasonable graphics card. This works fine. I have a 42" TV used as a second PC monitor as the screen. It's great!

I use the Wahoo HR monitor and cadence sensor mounted to one of the cranks.

Zwift is brilliant for exercise. It's so much more fun than sitting on a boring old stationary trainer. The time goes so much quicker and it's really good to try and beat your previous times. Also to join races or training sessions if you're up for the challenge. Zwift is progressively adding new courses with time so there are lots of rides to explore. No mountain bike trails yet - but that would be a lot of fun!

I can highly recommend it.

khorn

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Jul 19, 2018
Denmark
I have done more than 6000 km within Zwift and that both on an old mtb as well as on my road bike. I use Zwift comprehensively for cardio training as it is the best medicine for my rheumatoid arthritis. I use it all year around as I sometimes cannot grab safety around the grips on the bike due to the arthritis. I’m simply blown away by the big value of the interaction. The fact that you can find race mates always no matter what level you are at will motivate you and press you even further if you are in possession of the slightest competition gene. Also, the fitness building programs are brilliant as you can easily monitor your progress over a 10 week period, I started out with a poor FTP OF 170 watts and after 3 months my FTP was steady around 260-270 watts(I’m 100 kg) as a 56 year old with a well used body topped off with rheumatoid arthritis, pushing close to 300 watts in FTP, my doctors say that I’m crazy but thanks to Zwift I’m now powerful enough to go out and ride my mtb safety. Also, I have reduced medicine significantly(been on chemo for 6 years in o row).

Hardware vice I strongly recommend that you go out and get a cheap/old road bike as my experience with mtb and a trainer is the body position is far from optimal especially when you have to push up a steep long climb like for example Alpe De Huez. I did a couple of mtb rides and it have been a road bike ever since. I recommend that you start out with a cheap smart trainer for the beginning and if you get caught, sell it and buy a direct drive smart trainer and one of the best is the Tacx Neo but any direct drive trainer is much better than friction trainers. Most importantly make sure that it is rated SMART trainer.

Computer vice you will need a newer I5 or 7 with the more ram the better. Most importantly is the graphic card, if you want to run a decent frame rate there is no way around an up to date topend card. I can see that you are also into apple but as an apple user I ended up building a windows machine as my 2018 MacBook Pro with high specs was running 80 degrees consistently and frame rates were bad.

Have fun as it is addicting!!

Karsten

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Thanks all for your detailed responses.
So I set it all up today and did my first 25k ride. Had an old hardtail, got a training tyre and the cheapest smart trainer I could find (Tacx Flow).

All in it’s pretty neat, it’s connected to the Apple TV 4K and it seems to work well.

60A80E0E-F02D-4204-882A-A15F240D9CC0.jpeg

ChrisB NZ

Aug 21, 2018
Auckland, New Zealand
Thanks all for your detailed responses.
So I set it all up today and did my first 25k ride. Had an old hardtail, got a training tyre and the cheapest smart trainer I could find (Tacx Flow).

All in it’s pretty neat, it’s connected to the Apple TV 4K and it seems to work well.

View attachment 9506
Well done Rob. I'm sure you'll have a lot of fun and get benefit from it.

imsuperimposed

Nov 27, 2019
AUS
Anyone end up Zwifting a Levo? I'm in stage 4 lockdown in Aus (only allowed out for an hour and within 5ks) and thought this might be a good option to keep fit in the meantime no idea when it will be lifted been over month already... (I can't afford to by a road bike for this so hence why I'm asking.

Al Boneta

Dark Rider
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
California
Anyone end up Zwifting a Levo? I'm in stage 4 lockdown in Aus (only allowed out for an hour and within 5ks) and thought this might be a good option to keep fit in the meantime no idea when it will be lifted been over month already... (I can't afford to by a road bike for this so hence why I'm asking.
Never zwifted a Levo, but I have seen a Vado hooked up to Zwift.
My wife is now employed by zwift so I think I’ll try it out with one of my acoustic bike I never ride anymore

imsuperimposed

Nov 27, 2019
AUS
Never zwifted a Levo, but I have seen a Vado hooked up to Zwift.
My wife is now employed by zwift so I think I’ll try it out with one of my acoustic bike I never ride anymore
OK, I intended on just riding the bike acoustically, obviously more resistance but should do the job, just not sure if it will fit.

imsuperimposed

Nov 27, 2019
AUS
i recommend a cheap / used RR bike and a kickr core.
with the RR handle bar you will have more varity.
a trainer can be very boring

Yeah trainer is not ideally my choice, but I think my wife would murder me if I brought another bike into the house (Levo lives in our apartment lounge already) and this is more of a temporary solution whilst COVID is restricting my movement, I'm loosing significant fitness being stuck at home I normally do 50-60ks each Levo ride so being limited to a 5k radius and an hour at the moment is making it hard to do a lot. (Sick of burpees)

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles