Zeb Travel

Ushtang

Sep 14, 2020
USA
Yes, up to 190mm

Ushtang

Sep 14, 2020
USA
One other thing to note. If your stanchions don't have sag markings for 180mm, you will need to measure sag with a ruler.

Redlemon

Oct 30, 2021
Canada
I think Rockshox are bringing out their new air spring soon as well btw. Looks like is has a bigger negative air chamber. I think 2023 Zeb parts can be fitted to earlier Zebs.
They have changed the air piston shape as you can see intheir service manuals:

You can retrofit Charger 3 & Debonair+ air spring in 21-22 ZEB, but parts will not be available before early 2023.

Significant price increase for the air spring also, not that cheap anymore to upgrade it. Damper upgrade kit price remains pretty much the same.

Ushtang

Sep 14, 2020
USA
You can retrofit Charger 3 & Debonair+ air spring in 21-22 ZEB, but parts will not be available before early 2023.

Significant price increase for the air spring also, not that cheap anymore to upgrade it. Damper upgrade kit price remains pretty much the same.
Yup. Although very happy with my 2022 Zeb now, am anxiously waiting for this.

Growmac

Subscriber
Dec 4, 2020
Wilts, UK
If the added travel is affecting/improving braking bump performance then you need to go one click faster on your rebound damping. The fork's packing down under repeated impact. You'll probably find it makes it more comfortable everywhere else too.

Teriatric

Subscriber
Oct 29, 2021
North East England
I'm 150LBS/66Kg. Just fitted 190mm Zeb Ultimates to my Merida eONE-Sixty. RS setup web site says 61psi and 9 clicks. That was terrible. Down to 25psi now and still only getting 20% sag and 50% travel on what our US cousins call g-outs (for example in and out of a V gulley). Not very smooth over small bumps either. Assegai up front at 15psi, Minion DHR2 at 10-12psi. Setting 35-40% sag as I normally would on Z1s or Lyriks I don't even get 40% of full travel on decently rough ground/small drops/big tree roots. Any sensible suggestions for full travel, or at least a bit more? I can't jump and don't do drops over about 3ft/1m. Please be gentle, I'm not into the niceties of suspension settings.

gapago

Apr 21, 2022
california
I'm 150LBS/66Kg. Just fitted 190mm Zeb Ultimates to my Merida eONE-Sixty. RS setup web site says 61psi and 9 clicks. That was terrible. Down to 25psi now and still only getting 20% sag and 50% travel on what our US cousins call g-outs (for example in and out of a V gulley). Not very smooth over small bumps either. Assegai up front at 15psi, Minion DHR2 at 10-12psi. Setting 35-40% sag as I normally would on Z1s or Lyriks I don't even get 40% of full travel on decently rough ground/small drops/big tree roots. Any sensible suggestions for full travel, or at least a bit more? I can't jump and don't do drops over about 3ft/1m. Please be gentle, I'm not into the niceties of suspension settings.
It sounds like you have air build in the negative air chamber. Turn your bike upside down let the air out of your fork. loosen the 2 allen crews on the bottom of your fork and tap them too release the air. retighten and fill them up. You will be amazed. It works even better if you secure your fork at 25% sag with a zip tie while doing this. there is a good YouTube video showing this.

Bomble

Subscriber
Nov 11, 2018
Yorkshire
Luftkappe transformed my Zebs.
Beforehand I could set them plush over small stuff but they blew through the mid stroke and dived like mad, if I set them to not blow/dive they felt harsh.

gapago

Apr 21, 2022
california
A good oil change and cleaning will do wonders for the stiction.

theremotejuggernaut

Aug 2, 2022
UK
Thanks for responding. This is after just 2 rides from brand new though. Surely don't need a strip down yet?
I wouldn't necessarily assume that they had the correct amount of oil/ grease from the factory.

While it's a good idea to check the oil levels and grease situation, you're issues don't sound lube based.

You either got air in the lowers (as sadi above) or perhaps your negative spring hasn't equalised properly.

Could also be damper based. Ignore the recommended settings. Run the compression wide open next time you're out and see if that improves things.

That being said, based on your description of your riding, it's sounds as though an Enduro fork is too much fork. Despite what reviews online tell you, bigeer and beefier isn't always better and for most peoples riding, Zeb/38s etc are complete overkill.

MBj1703

Jul 15, 2021
Germany, near Munich
If it is the 2023 model, you have the pressure relive valves, so no need to unscrew anything.

Unfortunately, RS is greasing the Zeb (maybe also others) too much, which can end in a smaller negative chamber or even blocking the small holes between positive and negative. There is another thread with a guy having issues with his Zeb.

You should also check how many tokens are inside the air chamber. With your weight, I would suggest no token at all.
I'm 80kg ready to got and don't have any token.

Growmac

Subscriber
Dec 4, 2020
Wilts, UK
Thanks for responding. This is after just 2 rides from brand new though. Surely don't need a strip down yet?
My Lyriks were garbage from new. The Damper was faulty, so was the air spring, and they had way too much (or too little, can't remember which) grease. New damper on warranty (free upgrade to Ultimate, result!) and a coil conversion from Full Factory Suspension and all is great.

Teriatric

Subscriber
Oct 29, 2021
North East England
Thank you all for your advice and suggestions. I'll play around with them while the weather is poor. As for being over-forked, you are right! However I like big forks and they've certainly helped jack my pedals up to avoid strikes. Main reason though is that many times big forks have saved me from potential facial disfigurement, I do the odd OTB 😂

RoJo

Apr 24, 2019
Surrey
My seals were dry from new, a lower service makes a big difference + mabe you'll find something while you're in there💈
I know a bike retal shop who routinely service and re lube new rock shox before renting. They often don't come from the factory with the right fluid levels or any fluid at all in the case of one of my forks which wore through the stanchion in no time.

Teriatric

Subscriber
Oct 29, 2021
North East England
They must knock out so many that their assembly workers don't have time to do it properly. Sounds like the widespread dry bearing syndrome on Trek bikes. Scandalous really, considering what we suckers spend on these things.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles