YT Warranty in europe is ridiculously bad...

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
9:25 in this video. For about 30 seconds I talk about how its not a great climber.

when did you switch to clips Rob?

10:00 Pump the lips harder and stop pulling up. Same as you'd do on flats. You're doing that horrible SPD hop thing so many riders do. and I can't watch :eek:
;)

I definitely thought you'd progressed loads with flow, pumping and pre-load last time I watched a vid of you on flats. Clips def have their benefits but don't lose that progress. ;)

Last edited:

westcoastmtbr

Aug 22, 2019
California USA
My brother and I both bought YT Bikes here in the USA. He got the Capra, I got a base Decoy. I have to say our experience has been stellar. He had an issue with some warped rotors on his Capra which were quickly replaced for free, I made the upgrade to 2020 XT which required a new hanger which was sent for free, thank you YT! I have made a number of calls for support in the USA for which I have waited no longer than 5 minutes and I actually got to speak with a real person. My buddy bought a Levo at the same time as my Decoy. He has replaced a motor, cassette, and now some pivots. He's regretting buying the Levo as Specialized has had issue with Belts on the 2020 bikes. I would buy a YT again, and again.

Fx1

Auto WARNING : Possible Duplicate user : "Zero"
Feb 6, 2020
GB
Until you know the full facts you cant make an assessment.

Personally I'm not worried as I used a credit card and its insured. Any problem that isn't sorted in a reasonable time then I'll take legal action. Either my credit card company or small claims court will sort that out very fast.

I'm something of an expert at suing companies and now I dont even hesitate to do it. It's amazing how fast a company sorts a problem when they have a court summons land at their feet. I recently helped my dad get a full refund on a 3 year old sofa. Fobbed off by a store until the claim hit them and then they caved. Funny that.

I won't have to worry about it at all. I simply won't buy one.
Your loss.

seamarsh

May 7, 2019
usa
Weird with all the bent rotors... mine were/are a little bent as well.. but I just bent them back.. maybe it’s the packaging? I called to ask them a question yesterday, they answered on first ring.

westcoastmtbr

Aug 22, 2019
California USA
Weird with all the bent rotors... mine were/are a little bent as well.. but I just bent them back.. maybe it’s the packaging? I called to ask them a question yesterday, they answered on first ring.

Must be in the packing, agreed.

Astom22

Jan 11, 2020
Celina, TX
Must be in the packing, agreed.
I wish they had shipped mine without the rotors attached, front was bent and warranted in two days delivered. Back wasn't bad enough to notice at first, but has a slight warp too. Debating a call or just bend it back and adjust caliper slightly.

Dealing with US YT though.

Loving the 2020 Decoy though!

Sapientiea

Jul 12, 2019
Netherlands
Well with the weight of the Decoy the box can get damaged pretty easy. Our 2 Decoys arrived both with ends of the box severely damaged. Made a picture and send it to YT to inform them. Reply was that people transporting the bike were really rough on the boxes and that I should check for damages so they could help me out. They have had several complaints about this in Western Europe.One rotor was bend, but I fixed it myself.

Fx1

Feb 6, 2020
GB
My box arrived perfect condition..

Not sure how rotor got warped.

My Sworks came in similar box and had bent hanger and rotor so it's just how it is.

Direct to consumer brands would be smart if they started shipping bikes in those airline boxes. I'm sure most would be happy to pay a bit more to get one of those with a bike.

Gavalar

Feb 4, 2019
UK
YT don't seem to give a damn about business in their own back yard, they have backed themselves in America by having a physical bricks and mortar store / service centre and customer service warranty department, I think that going forward they need to have similar set-ups in every country they sell into as their business model now struggles to cope, they don't seem to take their customers seriously or even value them.
A company they should be replicating is Radon, Radon, a direct to consumer brand, have service partners in the countries they sell into, if you order your bike through one of them then your bike is delivered to them, built up and checked that everything is as it should be, the plus side to this is that should you have any warranty issues down the line then you have a go-to person / company to liaise with, YT have a good product but that is just not enough in such a competitive arena.

Fx1

Feb 6, 2020
GB
YT don't seem to give a damn about business in their own back yard, they have backed themselves in America by having a physical bricks and mortar store / service centre and customer service warranty department, I think that going forward they need to have similar set-ups in every country they sell into as their business model now struggles to cope, they don't seem to take their customers seriously or even value them.
A company they should be replicating is Radon, Radon, a direct to consumer brand, have service partners in the countries they sell into, if you order your bike through one of them then your bike is delivered to them, built up and checked that everything is as it should be, the plus side to this is that should you have any warranty issues down the line then you have a go-to person / company to liaise with, YT have a good product but that is just not enough in such a competitive arena.
America is a big market and that is 1 location. No different than having a location in germany for europe really.

Radon is a boutique brand so volumes much lower. We will see how sustainable their model is going forward.

seamarsh

May 7, 2019
usa
I wish they had shipped mine without the rotors attached, front was bent and warranted in two days delivered. Back wasn't bad enough to notice at first, but has a slight warp too. Debating a call or just bend it back and adjust caliper slightly.

Dealing with US YT though.

Loving the 2020 Decoy though!

I just bent them back.. it’s pretty easy to do. Mine we not crazy bad just a slight bend enough to rub brake pad. I say just try and bend them. They do make a tool which I don’t have.
DT-2 Rotor Truing Fork | Park Tool

Gavalar

Feb 4, 2019
UK
America is a big market and that is 1 location. No different than having a location in germany for europe really.

Radon is a boutique brand so volumes much lower. We will see how sustainable their model is going forward.
America is indeed a big market but you didn't really grasp my point and the RADON comparison in having Service / Retail agents, for instance they have 11 in the UK and have been using this business model for over 15 years, Radon is NOT a boutique brand, it is in-fact the in-house brand of Bike-Discount.de similar to the in-house brand, VITUS, that Chain Reaction sell, Radons new Render 10.0 HD arguably offers better value / spec than the Decoy.

Fx1

Feb 6, 2020
GB

America is indeed a big market but you didn't really grasp my point and the RADON comparison in having Service / Retail agents, for instance they have 11 in the UK and have been using this business model for over 15 years, Radon is NOT a boutique brand, it is in-fact the in-house brand of Bike-Discount.de similar to the in-house brand, VITUS, that Chain Reaction sell, Radons new Render 10.0 HD arguably offers better value / spec than the Decoy.
It certainly sounds like a good model.

I was just looking at their bikes. Cracking spec and value.

End of 2020 clearance bikes will be a total bargain with this motor and battery combo.

I still like the YT better. Bike spec is great and looks the business.

seamarsh

May 7, 2019
usa

I don’t know, they are running a company, you are a guy on the forums.. which one has a better grasp of what business model to follow?

not to discount your idea but sweeping generalizations about how big businesses are run individually is a fool’s errand unless you have actual data.

Fx1

Feb 6, 2020
GB

I don’t know, they are running a company, you are a guy on the forums.. which one has a better grasp of what business model to follow?

not to discount your idea but sweeping generalizations about how big businesses are run individually is a fool’s errand unless you have actual data.
I strongly suspect the retail arm supports the bike brand. Lot of overhead there taken care of and allows them to sell bikes much cheaper than a manufacturer only. I bet they get solid discounts on components too due to retail volumes.

Mcharza

E*POWAH BOSS
Aug 10, 2018
Helsinki, Finland

Big market, maybe they have more money to spend. Population in Europe 740 M and USA 330 M

Fatbap

Feb 15, 2020
Rhondda south wales
I have had issues with my decoy an yt have been great to deal with. I went for the decoy as it was best value for me an I accepted the fact that if something big went wrong I’d have to send it back an be without a bike for a few weeks. My best mate bought a new spesilized enduro from tredz in Swansea a few years ago the rear shock blew out he took the bike back an they had it for 3months as they had to send the shock back to rockshox an then they fitted a lesser model shock as there was none available. Sometimes shit happens

sheity997

Jul 15, 2020
Romania
Really sad about it, but I have to confirm it...

In April I bought the YT Tues 2020... and the shock failed after 3 trails. It started to spill a lot of oil and also sounded bad... But the problem it's not the shock itself but the service of the coil.

Of course, I've emailed YT, they responded quickly, sent me a shipping label to stick it on the box and to send the shock to them.
Once the shock was sent, it took around 1 MONTH and a HALF (from Romania to Germany - around 1500 km) for the shock to reach them. Ok, I said, it's the shipping during lock-down. Maybe, at the return it will be normal.

Now it's been 3 weeks since the last reply, nobody is answering, I don't know any status of the coil, where it is, if it's repaired or anything.

Sincerely I don't know what to do, I really love the bike, but daaamn, the services are so bad. What's the point of having a new bike if the warranty does worse?

If anyone is interested about my case, I'll keep you updated with what will happen next.

Sapientiea

Jul 12, 2019
Netherlands
I have dealt with YT several times and until now they have solved my issues within acceptable limits for me. Then again I solve most of the issues myself and like to tinkle with the bike and it's components. After two test drives I had already taken all the bearings out to check their status regarding grease. So if you cannot fix stuff on your bike yourself you be totally depended on service indeed. Who is waiting for weeks for a bend brake-disc for a warranty claim...just bend it back or buy a new one for the moment....?

Most of the negative comments here are from people that do not even have experience with YT...says enough. AND for any product on the internet it is: negative experiences drive people more to bitch in forums than positive one.

seamarsh

May 7, 2019
usa
Really sad about it, but I have to confirm it...

In April I bought the YT Tues 2020... and the shock failed after 3 trails. It started to spill a lot of oil and also sounded bad... But the problem it's not the shock itself but the service of the coil.

Of course, I've emailed YT, they responded quickly, sent me a shipping label to stick it on the box and to send the shock to them.
Once the shock was sent, it took around 1 MONTH and a HALF (from Romania to Germany - around 1500 km) for the shock to reach them. Ok, I said, it's the shipping during lock-down. Maybe, at the return it will be normal.

Now it's been 3 weeks since the last reply, nobody is answering, I don't know any status of the coil, where it is, if it's repaired or anything.

Sincerely I don't know what to do, I really love the bike, but daaamn, the services are so bad. What's the point of having a new bike if the warranty does worse?

If anyone is interested about my case, I'll keep you updated with what will happen next.
always worth having a backup shock.

sheity997

Jul 15, 2020
Romania
I have dealt with YT several times and until now they have solved my issues within acceptable limits for me. Then again I solve most of the issues myself and like to tinkle with the bike and it's components. After two test drives I had already taken all the bearings out to check their status regarding grease. So if you cannot fix stuff on your bike yourself you be totally depended on service indeed. Who is waiting for weeks for a bend brake-disc for a warranty claim...just bend it back or buy a new one for the moment....?

Most of the negative comments here are from people that do not even have experience with YT...says enough. AND for any product on the internet it is: negative experiences drive people more to bitch in forums than positive one.

Don't get me wrong, they have really good bikes and this counts most. But if I checked the forums before, I wouldn't even thought of sending the shock to them. For 200$ I was back riding in a few days. Now I am waiting for a piece worth 1k to be shipped with the worst delivery services.
I've also told them that I would pay to use only fast shipping but they don't want. And let's say that I am not that worried about the timing, but not responding to an e-mail asking for a status, this drives me crazy.

And yeah, people are bitching on forums, and that's good, it's good for those who want to be informed. To bad I didn't want to be informed 2 months and a half in the past.

As @seamarsh said it's good to have a spare shock.
Peace

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles