YT Warranty in europe is ridiculously bad...

ImSundee

Jan 20, 2020
Oxford
Makes me even gladder I didn't go the way of the decoy now, stunning bike, but its not worth anything with no support.

Mad Mark

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Nov 2, 2018
Burton on Trent
That’s why forums are so great, all that shared information.....now we can all make a sound decision as to whether we buy one or not.....
Think I’m going to have to read it through again before I make my final choice ?

Reactions: Dax

Fx1

Auto WARNING : Possible Duplicate user : "Zero"
Feb 6, 2020
GB
Makes me even gladder I didn't go the way of the decoy now, stunning bike, but its not worth anything with no support.
Who says there is no support?

I got a slightly warped rear rotor which I have submitted a ticket. We will see how this turns out. It's not urgent.

Would I pay 50% more for a levo just so when I need 2 or 3 new motors I can drive 3 hours to the only bike shop who wont charge me £1500 more for the bike then my local one? Hell no. There is literally £3000 price difference between local bike shop levo and this YT. I could buy a spare base decoy almost for that.

Hasse Birkmose

Jul 19, 2019
Denmark
Sorry for the lack of details i was just so super pissed.

I have had two seperate warranty issues.
1. a bad casette
2. A dropper cartridge leaking and goin spongy.
i have includet pictures. videos. serial numbers in the claims to remove any doubt of me trying to scam YT or whatever.
I takes more than a week for them to even answer the request...
Their standart answer every time is "send us the part for inspection"
This means a month of not riding if anything fails.
I just spend the money an fixed it myself
They should just send a replacement part...

YT....
Spend less money on fancy advertising with Christopher Walken (its cool i know) and spend it on warranty....

Changleen

Jan 18, 2020
Acquiring
So, given their stated business model, which they are quite open about, you are pissed that when you have a warranty issue, you have to do what the thing you signed up for said you would have to do?

Hasse Birkmose

Jul 19, 2019
Denmark
So, given their stated business model, which they are quite open about, you are pissed that when you have a warranty issue, you have to do what the thing you signed up for said you would have to do?

Sorry i forgot to read the small print:
1. if you have a warranty request we will probably answer you in a week or two
2. If you record a video of the dropper cartridge pissin' oil all over the place after five months you must send it to us so we can see the exact same thing and waste your time.

i can not count the cases of customers having the exact same experience so at least im not alone..... what a comfort.....

Changleen

Jan 18, 2020
Acquiring
If a part is faulty, it is quite legitimate, and of course safer, for a company to need it back to confirm it is indeed faulty and to stop you injuring yourself with it.

Unfortunately there are bad actors out there who would take the piss with sight unseen warranty issues. Put yourself in their shoes and say you would just honour every request before seeing the part for yourself?

You signed up for a bike from a direct distribution company who have delivered you tons of value and now are salty you have to accept the obvious consequences.

You still have a great bike. Put a frickin normal post in for a month if you’re so bothered.

Fx1

Feb 6, 2020
GB

Sorry i forgot to read the small print:
1. if you have a warranty request we will probably answer you in a week or two
2. If you record a video of the dropper cartridge pissin' oil all over the place after five months you must send it to us so we can see the exact same thing and waste your time.

i can not count the cases of customers having the exact same experience so at least im not alone..... what a comfort.....
Why not offer a credit card for security and get them to send you replacement parts. You send the faulty ones back then they can get refund off the manufacturer. I've done this before with different companies.

I suppose any company wants to make sure it's not crash damage before they send you a part out. Which given so many people are chancers I dont blame them.

If you want shop warranty then spend £2000 more and get a shop bike with dog shit spec like a levo.

If I get a dodgy cassette I'll just get a shimano one and send the e13 back for replacement and then when new one arrives put on ebay.

Dropper post is a bit more of a pain though.

ggx

Dec 10, 2018
Sintra
It´s dificult to have the best of both worlds. Some brands are selling the idea that theyr produt is a premium package in a bargain price, so customers feel the frustation when they face the reality . There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.

Hasse Birkmose

Jul 19, 2019
Denmark
If a part is faulty, it is quite legitimate, and of course safer, for a company to need it back to confirm it is indeed faulty and to stop you injuring yourself with it.

Unfortunately there are bad actors out there who would take the piss with sight unseen warranty issues. Put yourself in their shoes and say you would just honour every request before seeing the part for yourself?

You signed up for a bike from a direct distribution company who have delivered you tons of value and now are salty you have to accept the obvious consequences.

You still have a great bike. Put a frickin normal post in for a month if you’re so bothered.
Why not offer a credit card for security and get them to send you replacement parts. You send the faulty ones back then they can get refund off the manufacturer. I've done this before with different companies.

I suppose any company wants to make sure it's not crash damage before they send you a part out. Which given so many people are chancers I dont blame them.

If you want shop warranty then spend £2000 more and get a shop bike with dog shit spec like a levo.

If I get a dodgy cassette I'll just get a shimano one and send the e13 back for replacement and then when new one arrives put on ebay.

Dropper post is a bit more of a pain though.
Thanks - all good ideas and i can think of a lot more - that is what YT should do for the customers... just make it easy, quick and hassle free - as much as possible. i gues my beef is not what they cover but how they do it....

yougetme

Feb 26, 2020
London

I got a slightly warped rear rotor which I have submitted a ticket. We will see how this turns out. It's not urgent.

Would I pay 50% more for a levo just so when I need 2 or 3 new motors I can drive 3 hours to the only bike shop who wont charge me £1500 more for the bike then my local one? Hell no. There is literally £3000 price difference between local bike shop levo and this YT. I could buy a spare base decoy almost for that.
I just brought levo base model for 4250 and plan upgrading the forks and everything else but the support is vital for overall experience of buying an E-Bike.Now think about it I brought a YT good components but when they brake down you don’t get any support and you have to replace them yourself before your warranty out calculate the cost then add it to the cost of the Bike.

Fx1

Feb 6, 2020
GB

I just brought levo base model for 4250 and plan upgrading the forks and everything else but the support is vital for overall experience of buying an E-Bike.Now think about it I brought a YT good components but when they brake down you don’t get any support and you have to replace them yourself before your warranty out calculate the cost then add it to the cost of the Bike.
You assume the bike shop will replace without sending it off. Most dont.

Also base base levo? Every part needs upgrading so there goes shop support on those parts.

£4250 for an alloy levo with bargain bin spec... a lot of cash for what you get.

By time you finish upgrades what will total spend be?

Fivetones

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Feb 11, 2019
Cheshire

Also base base levo? Every part needs upgrading so there goes shop support on those parts.

£4250 for an alloy levo with bargain bin spec... a lot of cash for what you get.

No doubt. They trade on the support, if you support the right LBS then you’ll get good support (Like Chris at Berkshire bikes)

Have you experienced the support from YT yet? Have they got back to you regarding your warped disc yet?

Fx1

Feb 6, 2020
GB

No doubt. They trade on the support, if you support the right LBS then you’ll get good support (Like Chris at Berkshire bikes)

Have you experienced the support from YT yet? Have they got back to you regarding your warped disc yet?
Funny enough.

Just got an email and they are posting a new disk to me today. Less than 24 hours problem solved.

Cant really grumble at that. Appreciate some problems might result in more downtime. I'd happily put a new part on credit card on the basis I send old one back to them for refund if its faulty. Companies are usually happy with this as it shows I'm not trying to screw them.

I've used freeborn for specialized which is about as convenient to get to as germany is for me. Not everyone has Berkshire cycles up the road. Even if I did i dont think I want to pay the prices for a levo currently even with the service. I have an S works enduro I could ride down bike park wales worst case and get the uplift.

yougetme

Feb 26, 2020
London

I didn’t spend 4250 on a Levo
I spent around 3500
Cycle scheme
With upgrades that puts it at 5000. Hmmm
For 90nm
My custom spec
And derestricted
That’s better than any YT

SquireRides

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Sep 4, 2018
UK
I figure with most direct sales bikes you save enough money to buy a Decathlon as a backup!

Fivetones

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Feb 11, 2019
Cheshire
Funny enough.

Just got an email and they are posting a new disk to me today. Less than 24 hours problem solved.

That’s good. Let’s see when it arrives, then it’s problem solved ;)

Methinks you doth protest too much about Levos. This is a YT thread and has nothing to do with the Levo. Regardless of Berkshire Bikes there’s loads of good bike shops out there. My LBS, Blazing Saddles in Hebden Bridge, are superb. Like many LBSs they are run by enthusiasts who support the local cycling community. That’s valuable to some people - it’s pointless knocking that.

Kentish

Nov 5, 2019
Kent
Gotta be honest, I can't bring myself to buy the Decoy simply because of the warranty issues I keep reading about.

Really like the look of the bike and the price but just keep reading about the warranty horror stories. Was reading on Pinkbike about some bloke that lost the whole summer due to some frame or rear triangle issue. I just don't have the time or patience to strip the thing down, pack a frame (or anything else) then ship it off to Germany. Life's too short for all that!

If it were an analogue bike (in fact i have a Jeffsy) I'd not worry about it. Nothing I can't fix on that myself and relatively cheaply.

Don't mind paying the premium for my own peace of mind and it's nice to be able to support my LBS. God knows, I'll probably needing their help at some point.

People in the US don't seem to suffer the same way as we do here apparently. ?

Last edited:

Fx1

Feb 6, 2020
GB

I didn’t spend 4250 on a Levo
I spent around 3500
Cycle scheme
With upgrades that puts it at 5000. Hmmm
For 90nm
My custom spec
And derestricted
That’s better than any YT
Well it's not is it.

Cycle scheme doesnt count. You can do that on YT or any bike.

Base alloy levo is still a alloy levo even with custom parts. Which is a 29er trail bike which I'd never buy even if it was good value. I'd take the whyte e150 over that bike any day of the week.

Also i dont go as far as to claim one bike is better than another because they all are trade offs and have flaws. I just know which is better value for money for what you get versus price.

Fx1

Feb 6, 2020
GB
Funny enough.

That’s good. Let’s see when it arrives, then it’s problem solved ;)

Methinks you doth protest too much about Levos. This is a YT thread and has nothing to do with the Levo. Regardless of Berkshire Bikes there’s loads of good bike shops out there. My LBS, Blazing Saddles in Hebden Bridge, are superb. Like many LBSs they are run by enthusiasts who support the local cycling community. That’s valuable to some people - it’s pointless knocking that.
I'd buy an expert levo tomorrow if I thought they were good value. They aren't though.

Are they bad bikes... no.

Are they as good as reviews say.. god no..

Just look at the SL which already has posts about poor climbing and twitchy down hill performance. Where was that in the adverts.. I mean reviews..

This is my first ebike and I know in few years the tech will be massively better than now so I'll want to upgrade which means I dont want to be selling an unreliable levo which cost me 6 or 7k as on the used market you will be lucky to see 2k back for it.

Last edited:

Fx1

Feb 6, 2020
GB
Gotta be honest, I can't bring myself to buy the Decoy simply because of the warranty issues I keep reading about.

Really like the look of the bike and the price but just keep reading about the warranty horror stories. Was reading on Pinkbike about some bloke that lost the whole summer due to some frame or rear triangle issue. I just don't have the time or patience to strip the thing down, pack a frame (or anything else) then ship it off to Germany. Life's too short for all that!

If it were an analogue bike (in fact have a Jeffsy) I'd not worry about it. Nothing I can't fix on that myself and relatively cheaply.

Don't mind paying the premium for my own peace of mind and it's nice to be able to support my LBS. God knows, I'll probably needing their help at some point.

People in the US don't seem to suffer the same way as we do here apparently.
Until you know the full facts you cant make an assessment.

Personally I'm not worried as I used a credit card and its insured. Any problem that isn't sorted in a reasonable time then I'll take legal action. Either my credit card company or small claims court will sort that out very fast.

I'm something of an expert at suing companies and now I dont even hesitate to do it. It's amazing how fast a company sorts a problem when they have a court summons land at their feet. I recently helped my dad get a full refund on a 3 year old sofa. Fobbed off by a store until the claim hit them and then they caved. Funny that.

Sapientiea

Jul 12, 2019
Netherlands
We own about 4 YT bikes and had some warranty stuff over the years. They have been nothing more than excellent in our experience. Not suprised they do not send a complete new dropper to you without receiving the old one. Would you? What is their assurance you will not hold your end of the deal? There are a lot of people in the world which feel they deserve much more than they actually are entitled to. Just get a fixed post and send the broken one. It is so easy...

Reactions: 06z

Kentish

Nov 5, 2019
Kent
Until you know the full facts you cant make an assessment.

Personally I'm not worried as I used a credit card and its insured. Any problem that isn't sorted in a reasonable time then I'll take legal action. Either my credit card company or small claims court will sort that out very fast.

I'm something of an expert at suing companies and now I dont even hesitate to do it. It's amazing how fast a company sorts a problem when they have a court summons land at their feet. I recently helped my dad get a full refund on a 3 year old sofa. Fobbed off by a store until the claim hit them and then they caved. Funny that.

I won't have to worry about it at all. I simply won't buy one.

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Just look at the SL which already has posts about poor climbing and twitchy down hill performance. Where was that in the adverts.. I mean reviews..

9:25 in this video. For about 30 seconds I talk about how its not a great climber.

Fx1

Feb 6, 2020
GB

9:25 in this video. For about 30 seconds I talk about how its not a great climber.

Dont take it personally your videos are the most balanced.

Watch embn videos they are a joke.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles