Surrey, UK
2020 YT Decoy PRESS RELEASE

03_DECOY_CF_Comp_Dune_Grey_Seite.jpg

2020 YT Decoy Comp, Dune Grey

03_DECOY_CF_Pro_Race_Titan_Silver_Seite.jpg

2020 YT Decoy Pro Race, Titan Silver

03_DECOY_CF_Pro_Race_Black_Magic_Seite.jpg

2020 YT Pro Race, Black Magic

YT Industries sent shockwaves and turned heads in 2019 by releasing its first E-MTB. The DECOY redefines the common perception of E-MTBs and raises the bar when it comes to an agile and good- looking ride with a built-in lift.

The DECOY has uncaged gravity genes and the relentless mullet build offers the best of both wheels. This unstoppable enduro bike tackles every trail and even puts a smile on your face when you head back up technical trails to drop back in again for a second helping of gravity madness.

Offered in frame sizes S to XXL the Pro Race delivers a high-end spec to go with a full carbon frame whereas the Comp model has top-of-the-range components to round off the carbon front and aluminum rear triangle. Build updates for 2020 include the high-powered 12-speed Shimano drivetrain.

Last edited:

Orbea QC

Patreon
Jun 4, 2019
Surrey, UK
Only two models but three colour schemes for 2020 and a bump in price for the entry level model?!

Captureyt2.PNG

And they fixed the water bottle issue :ROFLMAO:

Captureyt3.PNG

Last edited:

DG3

Dec 6, 2019
San Francisco, CA
Bummed to see no mention of a 700W. It’s holding me back from jumping on this. I don’t think anyone does range extenders either.
Also, Comps don’t ship until March or April.
Another site mentioned they expect another announcement with Aluminum models including the Decoy. Who knows on that.

TransAmMan

Sep 18, 2019
Canada
I find the changes modest but not overly surprising (except for the lack of a larger battery)

170 mm fork comments:

I tried every possible option to upgrade my 160mm version to 170mm :confused: and hit a dead end as it was not possible as the Fox36 E-bike optimized "chassis" fork uses a Fox 34 air spring (which maxes travel out to 160) due to 2mm thicker stanchions.

The response I received from my suspension tuner (through Fox) was (regarding a 170mm e-bike fox fork I located or even the existence of a 170mm e-bike fork):

Response from Fox: "Yep that's correct. That's the SKU for a complete fork from what I can tell. I found the tune ID (DY62). It seems to be described as for an e-bike but is a regular 36 in effect"

So did YT change the e-bike optimized Fox 36 (with the more ridged chassis and thicker stanchions) to a REGULAR Fox 36 (regular chassis) to accommodate switching to a 170mm option :unsure: . I need to find out :geek:

Longer stem Length :

Noticed also the stem is now 50mm in length vs 40mm (from 2019) .. perhaps to offset the higher front end from the 170 mm fork. Also the handlebar rise states 35mm instead of 30mm .. on CDN site ( I do not think Renthal makes a 35mm rise V2 Fatbar .. could be a typo?)

12 Speed Shimano Drivetrain

For an analog bike the 12 speed gearing "may" be marginally justifiable (having run Eagle for 2 years) .. but I don't find the need for it on an e-bike (never use the lowest gear). Heck I would prefer a 9 speed :LOL: ... but I guess 12 speed is needed otherwise your drivetrain is "outdated" and people would look down on you like your running non-boost hubs - lol (kidding)

No more Di2

Also gone is Di2 shifting which you could argue is outdated already as its not "wireless" :cautious:.

Colors

I do like the colors, but prefer the 2019 color as its the first bike I have ever owned where the YELLOW Maxxis logos on their tires actually MATCHED the bike color scheme. :LOL:

Summary and Biased Opinion :cool:

Either way, its cool to see that the 2020 is not dramatically different.

An amazing bike all around in a category outside of the norm (ie dedicated Enduro design mullet bike VS and "every day" 29 trail bike platform) … Almost every other e-bike is built around the design and frame of a TRAIL bike and the YT Decoy was one of the first and still few that are designed around gravity outings (based on the Enduro Capra frameset VS the more Trail oriented Jeffsy).

Now I can plan for a 2021 model purchase … or a new battery upgrade if/when it ever gets released :love:.

Cheers to all :coffee: (substitute beer for coffee here)

Last edited:

AZCN

Oct 29, 2019
Phoenix
That new silver/red color is DOPE! Really glad they dropped the DI2/e13 combo. I went to Shimano XT 12 on my 2019 also. Also nice to see the 170 front to raise the bb and slacken a bit.

Orbea QC

Patreon
Jun 4, 2019
Surrey, UK
12 Speed Shimano Drivetrain

For an analog bike the 12 speed gearing "may" be marginally justifiable (having run Eagle for 2 years) .. but I don't find the need for it on an e-bike (never use the lowest gear). Heck I would prefer a 9 speed :LOL: ... but I guess 12 speed is needed otherwise your drivetrain is "outdated" and people would look down on you like your running non-boost hubs - lol (kidding)

I'm glad someone else has mentioned this and cue the barrage of abuse but...I often query to myself why ebikes are 11 speed let alone 12 or 13 speed. Would it not be better to have the thicker (and possibly more reliable) 9 or 10 speed set up?
I personally have not found that I need the range of gears as much on an ebike as I did on an acoustic is this a fashion over function statement?

westcoastmtbr

Aug 22, 2019
California USA
I would totally agree about the 11 vs. 12 and heft of the cassette. Wrong shift and you'll hear a huge "chuck" and with all that torque and it's doing some damage! I chose to upgrade my base Decoy to 2020 Xt drive train. I think it comes down the the rider. I chose to go this way knowing I need to make smart shifts as the XT can move 3 gears with a push. I wanted the larger ring given one can loose a charge on the train and be thankful for the "bail out gearing". Time will tell, but I can tell you this. Riding with some newbies to ebikes makes me cringe. I hear then choose to shift on the steepest angels and I'm wondering how long the 11 speed Levo gearing will even hold up.
On another note; Glad the Decoy has not changed too much, and even more happy with my purchase even though I really regret the Red Color. Looking to wrap it asap!

routrax

E*POWAH Master
Jun 15, 2019
Uxbridge
I like the new colours. IMO the Decoy is still the best looking emtb of all the ones I've seen.

Shame about the 700wh battery not appearing, they might have been better going with a shimano battery and not had the stress of developing their own, which must be really expensive.

westcoastmtbr

Aug 22, 2019
California USA
Does anyone guess how much extra weight the 700wh battery would be? I have run out of a charge twice but I was purposely trying to do so as to figure out those darn battery life bars! IMHO the 540 will cover 90% of my SF Bay Area Rides.

ziscwg

Sep 18, 2019
US
I'm glad someone else has mentioned this and cue the barrage of abuse but...I often query to myself why ebikes are 11 speed let alone 12 or 13 speed. Would it not be better to have the thicker (and possibly more reliable) 9 or 10 speed set up?
I personally have not found that I need the range of gears as much on an ebike as I did on an acoustic is this a fashion over function statement?

Just a question on gearing and battery use. If you are climbing something steeper, and use a lower gear, go slower, are you saving battery? I personally have not tested this, but I was thinking someone may have. This could justify the 10-51 IMHO.

I get your comment on a wider chain being stronger and more durable. That's just physics and I agree.

One last point, in general (at least in the US) perspective buyers and some reviewers would see 11 speed or 10 speed as "old" or "outdated." Many would not tie the chain width to durability.

ziscwg

Sep 18, 2019
US
Does anyone guess how much extra weight the 700wh battery would be? I have run out of a charge twice but I was purposely trying to do so as to figure out those darn battery life bars! IMHO the 540 will cover 90% of my SF Bay Area Rides.
Some of that 10% would be Henry Coe. A place where the parking lot can be full and you see no one on the trails but you or your group

ziscwg

Sep 18, 2019
US
I just read why there's a perceived weight increase. They used to weigh the size small. For 2020 models, they moved to a size large weight. I think they should just list the weight for all sizes.

9748simonb

Oct 28, 2019
Uk
Still happy with my Pro Race purchase two months ago. I’ve put an e-wild back tyre on which has slackened,it out a touch and dropped the bb Which was already low so I’ve just ordered a Burgtec offset top shock mount that will get the geo and bb height back to where it should be.

ziscwg

Sep 18, 2019
US
Still happy with my Pro Race purchase two months ago. I’ve put an e-wild back tyre on which has slackened,it out a touch and dropped the bb Which was already low so I’ve just ordered a Burgtec offset top shock mount that will get the geo and bb height back to where it should be.
did you flip the flip chip and the bb is still too low for your liking?

filotnie

Aug 11, 2019
Frankfurt - SW London
That new silver/red color is DOPE! Really glad they dropped the DI2/e13 combo. I went to Shimano XT 12 on my 2019 also. Also nice to see the 170 front to raise the bb and slacken a bit.
Can you please tell what was so bad in Di2? I am considering upgrading my Base to Di2 in feature.

AZCN

Oct 29, 2019
Phoenix
The DI2 7000 shifter is great as the power selector on the left side but bad as the shifter on the right side. It forces you to lose most of your grip on that side while shifting causing my hands and others to come off the bar in even mildly bumpy terrain.

In German, but cc in English at 2:16.

I had heard this criticism prior to having it and wrote it off as people just being crybaby's and maybe I'm a crybaby too, but I didn't like it. I switched to the DI2 flappy paddle shifter a la early Pivot Shuttles and they were flimsy, unnatural to shift and fiddley, for lack of a better word. Again, I am not the only one that complains about these, but some people love them. I like good old fashioned mechanical shifters.
Also, my e13 cassette was not funcional right out of the box. A known issue they fixed and then extra fixed on the 2020 model, lol.

I went to xt 12 speed drive on my 2019 Decoy and love it.

Armeniandave

Sep 10, 2018
San Diego, California
I swapped out the shifter after the third ride to the paddle shifter and it has been great.
I too didn't like the ergonomics of the button shifting. I have had no issues at all with the
shifter now and it is super easy to shift like a normal shifter.

I made a thread when I did it showing what shifter I used.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Just a question on gearing and battery use. If you are climbing something steeper, and use a lower gear, go slower, are you saving battery? I personally have not tested this, but I was thinking someone may have. ...............

Emphatically yes!

I have a Focus Jam2 so a 378Whr battery. I went with my 12-year old grandson on his clockwork bike to a trail in Wales that has lots of hills, one of them very long indeed.
Previously, I had completely gone through the frame battery on another similar length hilly trail. On that trail I had been trying to keep up with guys half my age by using Boost to rocket up the climbs. So I was wary about the Welsh trail and fitted the TEC pack (another 378Whr) because I expected to have to tow my grandson up that lonnnng climb, like I'd had to do two years previously on my clockwork bike! :eek:

Although he was stronger and didn't need a tow this time, he was still only 12, so I went everywhere at his speed. Apart from one or two brief surges in Trail, most of my climbing was at around walking speed in Eco. To my astonishment I still had 3 bars after 15 miles. I never used the TEC pack at all.

Two similar length trails, one where I was going at it like a demon the other where I was relaxed and going slowly uphill. The comparison demonstrated clearly to me that powering uphill in Boost consumes battery very rapidly, taking it steady in Eco doesn't. I already knew that intellectually, but there is nothing like experiencing the reality to be convinced. :)

Yzlvr

Jun 23, 2019
USA
The DI2 7000 shifter is great as the power selector on the left side but bad as the shifter on the right side. It forces you to lose most of your grip on that side while shifting causing my hands and others to come off the bar in even mildly bumpy terrain.

In German, but cc in English at 2:16.

I had heard this criticism prior to having it and wrote it off as people just being crybaby's and maybe I'm a crybaby too, but I didn't like it. I switched to the DI2 flappy paddle shifter a la early Pivot Shuttles and they were flimsy, unnatural to shift and fiddley, for lack of a better word. Again, I am not the only one that complains about these, but some people love them. I like good old fashioned mechanical shifters.
Also, my e13 cassette was not funcional right out of the box. A known issue they fixed and then extra fixed on the 2020 model, lol.

I went to xt 12 speed drive on my 2019 Decoy and love it.

Still using the Di2? What all did you have to change?

Macone

E*POWAH Master
Oct 28, 2018
Wellington New Zealand
I wonder how many people as part of their purchasing decision for a Decoy, factored in the widely advertised (by YT) "soon" to be released 700wh battery with special price for existing owners. I reckon a lot of those owners must be getting pretty impatient waiting for the promised 700wh battery that supposedly will fit in the same frame. As we sarcastically describe these sort of promises here in New Zealand - "Year right!!".

Yzlvr

Jun 23, 2019
USA
Yeah, the notion that they were going to sell us a "discounted" 700wh battery was definitely a strong selling point. Am a little disappointed that YT has not figured this all out! And I won't be happy if they don't honor a discounted price once they do.

I agree. I made the purchase also wanting the 700wh battery and thought it would be avail not long after my purchase in June. Here we are almost 6 mos later, next year bikes are introduced and still no 700wh batt...

squeegee

Aug 19, 2019
USA
700 watt battery not released yet is suspect. How will they fit the extra cells in there? As far as I see there's little space, so will they use a more updated and compact cell? All questions that hinge on a big selling point, that there would be a 700W battery and compatible with 2019 models. If it doesn't happen, YT should get crucified for it.

I've spoken to YT about this a few times and they denied there would be a discount for existing owners, they said they didn't know why that was circulated on the Youtube channels covering their press releases. Sure I'd like a discount on a 700W battery, but most of all I want an ACTUAL 700W battery that will fit my 2019 frame, huge selling point that a lot of other companies using Shimano E8000 can't make. All kinds of company's came out with 504W batteries on their frames with no possibility of upgrade which I passed over, due to no upgrade and the awkward look of a "kit" battery vs. a custom integration.

westcoastmtbr

Aug 22, 2019
California USA
So we are to guess that the press that covered the release of the Decoy just told each other that the upgrade would be available? Rubbish. I suspect YT may be further away from the release of the 700wh battery than we suspect.

Sand0kan

Dec 12, 2019
Netherlands
Just curious......anybody needed a 700W battery? I almost never use my full battery when riding. Always have 2 bars or more left. ANd i am even used as uplift service on the tarmac climbs which means another 175 kg extra to tow up the hill.

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
Just curious......anybody needed a 700W battery?
Constantly. I get around 40-42km on my trails using Eco for 85% of the time, Trail for 12% and Turbo for 3% (2 particular short, sharp climbs) but my loop I used to ride on my analogue bike is just over 46km with the last couple a fair bit of climbing which is impossible with a flat battery. I also do point to point 60-90km rides that I would not attempt with a 504Wh battery.
Plus, my clubs 4 lap endurance race (about 40km) which is ALL in Turbo can not be done with a 504Wh battery. Can do 2-1/2 to 3 laps I expect.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles