YT Decoy vs YT Decoy 29

Jonzy

Jul 4, 2020
devon
I recently replaced the 230x60 dpx2 with a 230x65 coil. This should get me back close to the 165mm rear travel on the mullet bike. I put the flip chip in high and run a Fox 38 180mm up front. I’ve put about 150 miles on this setup and it’s straight up amazing. The difference is night and day on bigger hits.
I see no downsides.
Out of interest with the new shock completely compressed do you have the clearence on the rear wheel and linkage to frame, only reason i ask is the stock dpx2 is a 65mm stroke with a 5mm travel spacer fitted which is a fairly easy mod to remove and i have been considering doing this.

djuro

Feb 22, 2021
germany
I got the 29er. I love it. My friend has the mullet. I’m definitely better at climbing plus I’m faster. I’m unfit he’s fit. He’s used to do downhill. ... All depends on the rider.
if he is used to do downhill and you are not, and if he is fit and you are not, but you are still faster than him (uphill and downhill), then your buddy either just really sucks in riding bikes or you totally missed a bike pro career. The difference of rear wheel size on the same bike on timed runs is marginal in my opinion and a very personal thing anyway.

if you are in the 5 ft 11 and below ballpark and ride the bike on really steep dh stuff, do or want to learn manuals, and like jumping/playfulness in a dh park, you probably prefer the Mullet due to too much bum contact with the 29er rear wheel.

but if you are 6ft + a 29er rear may very well be the preferred choice. but still personal preference.

there is enough dh pros that prefer one over the other so there is no "generally better/faster".

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles