YT Decoy thread part 2

Marc

Jun 21, 2019
Switzerland
hmm I got error code w011 a couple of times on the last rides and that indicates speed sensor but there is not much to adjust there,, anyone else had this?

Not yet - no error codes whatsoever so far. Btw the motor stays surprisingly cool all the time.

Finally got an email from YT Lifka today: after my complaint about the motor rattle he told me to ship my decoy back to germany. I told him I was disappointed because Wilared said specifically shimano service centers would make customer service easier... so today he replied I should go and show my motor to my local Shimano center....

Nasty Nick

Dec 4, 2018
Ventura, CA US
My "Walk-Mode" does kind of nothing. Its useless. My Bosch bike has a lot more power in walk mode and I just saw a guy with a Decoy and his has a lot more power too. What gives?

Edit: ah ok, interesting
Steps e8000 walk mode - EMTB Forums

Thanks for bringing this up and posting the link. I just read through that thread, not much in there in terms of solutions. Just confirms di2 equipped bikes have a nice and fast walk mode and mechanical drivetrain bikes have a nearly unusable walk mode. I don’t even use mine cause holding the e7000 shifter down and pushing up steeps in uncomfortable and the very low assistance isn’t worth the discomfort. Does anyone have a solution to make the walk assist faster in the low gears? Also, noticed my walk assist isn’t smooth. It does a semi consistent stutter, randomly, every half crank rotation or so.

Borist

Apr 13, 2018
SoCal
Interesting. I used walk mode couple times. Ones up a steep stairway the other up a steep loose rutted track. It worked for me, sort of. I did have to shift to harder gear if, I remember it correctly, to make it work the second time and it had a tendency to stall. Not as smooth as I expected but in the end it did get me up the slope. I was very happy about that as it was getting very hot and I was spent.

06z

Jun 2, 2019
Southern California
Interesting. I used walk mode couple times. Ones up a steep stairway the other up a steep loose rutted track. It worked for me, sort of. I did have to shift to harder gear if, I remember it correctly, to make it work the second time and it had a tendency to stall. Not as smooth as I expected but in the end it did get me up the slope. I was very happy about that as it was getting very hot and I was spent.
Which model do you have?

Mauko

Jul 16, 2019
Finland
Thinking of placing an order on either of the higher spec Decoy. I’ve had poor experience with e.13 cranks on Canyon Dude and made a promise to myself to never touch their components again and here I am again looking at them. What are your experiences with the e.13 wheels on Decoy? Especially the hubs. Has anyone switched the freebody on the rear to Shimano compatible?

06z

Jun 2, 2019
Southern California
Thinking of placing an order on either of the higher spec Decoy. I’ve had poor experience with e.13 cranks on Canyon Dude and made a promise to myself to never touch their components again and here I am again looking at them. What are your experiences with the e.13 wheels on Decoy? Especially the hubs. Has anyone switched the freebody on the rear to Shimano compatible?

The cranks on the Decoy are Shimano XT. I talked to a close friend and he believes the carbon wheel set on the Race is good especially for the price of the bike. All that is left is the cassette. I'm not too worried about that. I hope to pick up my Race in 3-4 weeks. Hopefully it will be on time.

Jedipip

Jul 29, 2018
Yorkshire
hmm I got error code w011 a couple of times on the last rides and that indicates speed sensor but there is not much to adjust there,, anyone else had this?

Not me. Mine has been superb with the exception of an overheat, which was entirely easy to anticipate given the weather and what I was doing.

Fixed itself after 10minutes cooling down. Great battery and motor management!

Reactions: 06z

Highway

Mar 3, 2019
Oslo
I removed the speed sensor and cleaned everything and the last 2 rides have been perfect without any problem :)

Mydriaze

Jul 7, 2019
France
When did you order your Decoy? The wait was not too long?
Sorry, I can't help you, I haven't (yet!) any Decoy.

But, I would like to know if you read something about the 700wh battery? I herd it will be cheaper for Decoy owners... Did you heard something like that?

06z

Jun 2, 2019
Southern California
When did you order your Decoy? The wait was not too long?
Sorry, I can't help you, I haven't (yet!) any Decoy.

But, I would like to know if you read something about the 700wh battery? I herd it will be cheaper for Decoy owners... Did you heard something like that?
I spoke with YT in the US and they told me that the price is not set yet but they expect it to be around $700. To be fair to YT, they have not officially announced the price.

Mydriaze

Jul 7, 2019
France
Thanks for your reply. But at least, we know a 700wh will come. Commencal say the same with the new 29 Meta Power about a higher capacity battery, then they told it will not be compatible with the frame. So it's a no go for me.
would like something future-proof. That's why i'm looking into the Decoy.

Sapientiea

Jul 12, 2019
Netherlands
Got my Decoy Base last week. DHL heavily damaged the box, but only the motor skidplate was damaged. Sent warranty request and they reacted within 4 days. After 3 days I had a new skidplate at home. Service is good, never had a problem before (we also have 2 Jeffsy's).

Changed from stock: Tubeless, Rockshox Charger 2.1 (awesome btw!), might switch to lower drag tire on the rear if I need more range.

Took the DECOY out for a long drive, all single track. Did about 750-800 meters in altitude and 60 km. Had 1 bar left not in the red. I used mainly Eco high and Trail Mid, no boost. I weigh ~100kg so with backpack it is about 103kg. I really pushed it so went as fast as I could. Routes in Netherlands are short up and down. Battery is thus good, expect the wife to go much further on one battery charge since she only weighs 60kg.

Jedipip

Jul 29, 2018
Yorkshire
Got my Decoy Base last week. DHL heavily damaged the box, but only the motor skidplate was damaged. Sent warranty request and they reacted within 4 days. After 3 days I had a new skidplate at home. Service is good, never had a problem before (we also have 2 Jeffsy's).

Changed from stock: Tubeless, Rockshox Charger 2.1 (awesome btw!), might switch to lower drag tire on the rear if I need more range.

Took the DECOY out for a long drive, all single track. Did about 750-800 meters in altitude and 60 km. Had 1 bar left not in the red. I used mainly Eco high and Trail Mid, no boost. I weigh ~100kg so with backpack it is about 103kg. I really pushed it so went as fast as I could. Routes in Netherlands are short up and down. Battery is thus good, expect the wife to go much further on one battery charge since she only weighs 60kg.

Excellent news! Good to hear about that inferior warranty performing for you.

Enjoy the ride - it is a spectacular bike for the money.

Last edited:

renedis

Jul 17, 2019
The Hague

Awesome! I've sent you a private message. I hope we can meet up some time soon. I'm from NL too!

Eckythump

Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
North Yorkshire
Hey everyone. Any one experience with DI2 upgrade on a Decoy Base? Sorry i just read the last 5 pages. Well, my parts for DI2 just arrived. Fingers crossed!
You will need to activate the Di2 via a dealer type PC interface or I think I remember seeing the option in the STEPS Unlocker app.

Eckythump

Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
North Yorkshire
Also my walk Mode with almost no function in steep walking sections. Flat it works
You need to change up gear to suit your walking speed for walk assist to assist enough. If you have Di2 the motor knows what gear you are in and adjusts assist speed accordingly.

Eckythump

Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
North Yorkshire
The wheels are supposed to have a no quibble replacement policy on them which includes crash damage. In an ideal world I'd have an Onyx hub fitted but don't want to mess with the guarantee.

Sorinok

May 24, 2019
Romania
I made 112km with one charge, 1500m difference level and I returned home with 2 lines to the battery. I used Eco, Trail and Boost mode ... but also the OFF mode on the flat road. All e-bike returned with at least one line to the battery, less YT Jeffsy :))

Nasty Nick

Dec 4, 2018
Ventura, CA US
The wheels are supposed to have a no quibble replacement policy on them which includes crash damage. In an ideal world I'd have an Onyx hub fitted but don't want to mess with the guarantee.

You’re 100% right about the onyx hub too, the wide POE on the motor combined with the hub is pretty clunky. I’m still struggling to get used to the vague feel of 1/4 pedal strokes when climbing tech.

With all the hype about aluminum rims over carbon I’d think twice about spending the extra money. I have both and ended up using the h1900 front and my custom carbon on the rear. I feel a lot more deflection with the carbon front, it’s harder to hold a line in the rough.

Its probably not a popular opinion on the forums, but I’m a firm believer in buying the basic complete bikes and upgrading the important bits or upgrade as things break. After getting the decoy I bought the base aluminum Capra 29 for $2600usd. The thing is an absolutely incredible park bike for the money!! I dropped an hc97 into the charger 2 rc and use my custom Bomber RC coil on both the Capra and Decoy (I match the spring to the bike too). It’s stupid fun.

Eckythump

Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
North Yorkshire
I made 112km with one charge, 1500m difference level and I returned home with 2 lines to the battery. I used Eco, Trail and Boost mode ... but also the OFF mode on the flat road. All e-bike returned with at least one line to the battery, less YT Jeffsy :))

Saw the vid a couple of days ago.
Wish I could get close to that range with that amount of climbing!

Eckythump

Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
North Yorkshire

You’re 100% right about the onyx hub too, the wide POE on the motor combined with the hub is pretty clunky. I’m still struggling to get used to the vague feel of 1/4 pedal strokes when climbing tech.

With all the hype about aluminum rims over carbon I’d think twice about spending the extra money. I have both and ended up using the h1900 front and my custom carbon on the rear. I feel a lot more deflection with the carbon front, it’s harder to hold a line in the rough.
You shouldn’t have an engagement issue on the motor as it is a sprag clutch like the Onyx. You can feel a bit of lag until the motor cuts in sometimes. It all comes from the hub and taking up slack in worn chains.
My Jam2 came with DT XM1501 alloy wheels and they have been superb. The hub was pleasingly quiet too with plenty of engagement points with the mid tooth count ratchet fitted. Have an Onyx on my acoustic bike and really like it. The new lighter version of the hub is really appealing.
If a Decoy was available with a 1501 wheel set and Lyrik fork that’s what I’d have gone for. When I totted up the cost of upgrading the base model to what I wanted and losing out on the carbon rear end it didn’t make sense so I went ‘full fat!’

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles