Eckythump

Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
North Yorkshire
? E372A0F8-18ED-413D-98BC-576EB0B64ACD.jpeg

Jedipip

Jul 29, 2018
Yorkshire
Guys, on a french forum, there are some rumors about "new" colors for 2020 and 700wh battery. At the moment, I don't believe these rumors to be honest. Did you heard something like that?

Makes good sense to refresh with those options. Be interesting to see how the 700wh battery performs. The 540 is capable of massive mileage when used to assist as opposed to Turbo everywhere.

Reactions: Ak1

Mydriaze

Jul 7, 2019
France
Any word on pricing? Was there supposed to be an exchange option, or was that just some incorrect reporting from the launch?
You’re right. Preferential price for early adopter i’ve read somewhere. I don’t understand one thing: YT battery is a shimano one. But, shimano didn’t realease any 700wh battery. So, this 700wh is supposed to be a custom one?

06z

Jun 2, 2019
Southern California
You’re right. Preferential price for early adopter i’ve read somewhere. I don’t understand one thing: YT battery is a shimano one. But, shimano didn’t realease any 700wh battery. So, this 700wh is supposed to be a custom one?
YT's battery is not a Shimano battery. YT uses the 21700 cells which are much better than the 18650 cells. I was told that the YT 700 battery would be around $700 in the US.

Eckythump

Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
North Yorkshire
The bigger battery is supposed to be available September.
Any word on pricing? Was there supposed to be an exchange option, or was that just some incorrect reporting from the launch?

Not heard anything yet.
I need to email them to complain about bent disks and remind them they forgot they were not going to charge me shipping due to the delay.

Will mention the battery and ask when the Fidlock bottle will be available.

Eckythump

Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
North Yorkshire
Anyone planning on shortening the brake cables will want to get some ferrules and barbs in as the ones in the lines supplied on the bike are factory swaged and cannot be removed in the usual manner.

Eckythump

Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
North Yorkshire
The front I couldn’t get to rotate freely even with the bite point backed right off.
The rear would touch both sides of the calliper even with the pads removed!
Spent best part of an hour trying to flatten it out with a rolling pin but it didn’t get much better.....

Mydriaze

Jul 7, 2019
France
Is there any issue at the moment with this bike? Any crack? Any battery issue? Oh man I can't choose between this one and a Levo... I prefer aesthetically the YT, especially with the Fox Kashima setup... but many seems to say that the Levo is quite a good ebike for everything, with a less noisy motor...

Mydriaze

Jul 7, 2019
France
I've ride a Moustache with Bosch motor, it was pleasant, not so noisy, a pure pleasure. I'm afraid when I read your comment about the noise... I will check some Youtube video...

Eckythump

Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
North Yorkshire
Had my first little go today along the local hill.
First impressions are it is more lively than I was expecting, rides quite like my Wreckoning just heavier. Not the downhill sled I was expecting.
I did get the rattle experienced by others. Think it is the cables in the down tube bouncing on the battery. I’ve some sticky back neoprene to try & cure it.
Mech and chain were rattling about until I remembered it was Shimano and you are expected to turn the clutch on ?
Di2 was fast but I need to find the knack of gear changes under load with mechanical sympathy....
Jury still out on the Code brakes. Magura’s may find there way on there yet.
Need to get a Mudhugger!
1 bar used for 9 miles & 1100” climbing. Half steep tarmac climb, half steep rooty tech.
I looked at the E-TUBE app before I set off and the bike came with a custom profile of Boost - med, Trail - med, Eco - high. Might explain why some of the reviewers thought the bike was more punchy than previous Shimano motored bikes they had ridden. I dropped it back to the stock Boost - high, Trail - low, Eco - high to compare against my Jam2.

Eckythump

Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
North Yorkshire
I've ride a Moustache with Bosch motor, it was pleasant, not so noisy, a pure pleasure. I'm afraid when I read your comment about the noise... I will check some Youtube video...
Two buddies I ride with have Bosch motors and they are much quieter than my Shimano, almost as quiet as the other guy in our groups 2019 Levo.
Think they must have upped their game on that front as the Bosch motors were as loud as my Shimano when I first bought an ebike.

Eckythump

Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
North Yorkshire
Think the heavy cable in the photo below is the rattle culprit. It’s loose in there and roaming around at will. Going to stick half a soft tennis ball or some pipe lagging in there to secure it If nothing else than to stop the wire fatiguing over time.

DCA12F61-A631-4F3E-A014-D2B363E1481E.jpeg

mitch1808

Jun 30, 2019
italy
First impressions are it is more lively than I was expecting, rides quite like my Wreckoning just heavier. Not the downhill sled I was expecting.
I did get the rattle experienced by others. Think it is the cables in the down tube bouncing on the battery. I’ve some sticky back neoprene to try & cure it.
Mech and chain were rattling about until I remembered it was Shimano and you are expected to turn the clutch on ?
Di2 was fast but I need to find the knack of gear changes under load with mechanical sympathy....
Need to get a Mudhugger!
1 bar used for 9 miles & 1100” climbing. Half steep tarmac climb, half steep rooty tech.
I looked at the E-TUBE app before I set off and the bike came with a custom profile of Boost - med, Trail - med, Eco - high. Might explain why some of the reviewers thought the bike was more punchy than previous Shimano motored bikes they had ridden. I dropped it back to the stock Boost - high, Trail - low, Eco - high to compare against my Jam2.
So overall yay or nay?

Lee Dove

Oct 12, 2018
Scotland
YT Battery is NOT a shimano one. It is Shimano system compatible. I think it is made by Simplo to YT spec.

Reactions: 06z

Lee Dove

Oct 12, 2018
Scotland
Need to get a Mudhugger!

I had the same problem with the chain :) I usually use Sram mechs. I put a couple of cable ties on and some foam padding (window seal) inside the battery box and under the end of the battery cover plate, made a huge difference and I don't hear any noises now.

Also either the motor has bedded in over a couple of rides or the padding made a difference as the motor is now very quiet. It was not really noisy before , no worse than the Kenevo I tested.

Nasty Nick

Dec 4, 2018
Ventura, CA US
My decoy is my first ebike. I was pretty so so about it at first cause it just wasn’t playful and was a handful on single tracks and chunky steeps. I got my suspension dialed and I guess adapted my riding, cause I am loving it! I can pretty much ride it like a normal enduro bike. It’s still not as easy to pop as I hope these bikes ultimately become, which I think is just a function of weight at this point. But I’m sending it on big features and riding pinned down double blacks. I feel like it’s making me a better rider and I’m easily riding twice as many miles, probably more cause I’m more stoked to get out everyday.

I’ve ridden a ‘19 levo expert a few times. I think with a proper fork, that is a great bike. It’s more refined than the decoy and significantly lighter. But I’m glad I saved the money and went with the decoy instead. I assume in 2-3 years there will be advancements in ebikes that will make even the levo seem a bit dated. I’ll spend the money I saved then and have a blast on the decoy in the meantime.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles